Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
He's not a 1c . He doesn't face the top competition as a c. He's been a really good second line c his entire career. Not a bad player by any measure, but not a 1 c. Especially if people are calling Duchene a 2 c.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He is an ok player, never does anything super impressive, not a 1C. Definitely not what I thought he would be as a first overall.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Coming from a Flames fan, I think Hopkins is actually quite good. Responsible 2 way center who usually makes the right play and can play in all situations. Brings a lot of stability to the Oiler’s line up. But let’s be real here, he’s their 3rd line center because Connor McDavid is unofficially the 1st and 2nd line center because he plays half the game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Drai is an elite #1C that has to play the #2C role, when he actually does, because...well.....McDavid

Nuge is an average/decent #1C that doesn't play #2C because he's not as good as Drai, and unless both Drai and McDavid run into each other in practice and break each others legs, will never, ever, see #1C duties.

I think you're overrating Draisaitl and RNH here. Draisaitl hasn't shown the ability to be an elite #1 center when not playing with McDavid, it's more fair to say he's an top line winger who can be your #2C in a pinch. RNH isn't a #1C, he's probably an above average 2C.

I really think Oilers fans may fall into a trap of overrating guys who play with McDavid. Sure, if they're not playing with McDavid, their linemates may suck, but there's a massive difference between guys like Draisaitl and RNH with McDavid and without McDavid. This isn't just this season either, this is a common trend with both Draisaitl and RNH. The easy solution that I see is have RNH and Draisaitl as linemates to make a strong 2nd line, since McDavid can make a turnip effective in the NHL, but RNH and Draisaitl haven't even played 200 minutes together over Draisaitl's career.

Reactions: BabyPanda

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
RNH is probably the biggest "could have been" in the league. He's been the victim of some really bad coaching throughout his career and never developed to his full potential. But he's now otherwise a responsible two way #2C good for chipping in here and there. He is what he is but sadly it's not even what he used to be.

Seldom do I see that explosive drive he had. But when all your coaches are idiots and you try to do the right thing and stay with the team that drafted you it's hard to blame the guy.

He has his great moments but this guy shouldve been a 80-90 point regular

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think you're overrating Draisaitl and RNH here. Draisaitl hasn't shown the ability to be an elite #1 center when not playing with McDavid, it's more fair to say he's an top line winger who can be your #2C in a pinch. RNH isn't a #1C, he's probably an above average 2C.

I really think Oilers fans may fall into a trap of overrating guys who play with McDavid. Sure, if they're not playing with McDavid, their linemates may suck, but there's a massive difference between guys like Draisaitl and RNH with McDavid and without McDavid. This isn't just this season either, this is a common trend with both Draisaitl and RNH. The easy solution that I see is have RNH and Draisaitl as linemates to make a strong 2nd line, since McDavid can make a turnip effective in the NHL, but RNH and Draisaitl haven't even played 200 minutes together over Draisaitl's career.

Pssssssst........I may have been slightly exaggerating.

I won't call it flat out sarcasm.

Let's call it sarcasm lite.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
RNH is probably the biggest "could have been" in the league. He's been the victim of some really bad coaching throughout his career and never developed to his full potential. But he's now otherwise a responsible two way #2C good for chipping in here and there. He is what he is but sadly it's not even what he used to be.

Seldom do I see that explosive drive he had. But when all your coaches are idiots and you try to do the right thing and stay with the team that drafted you it's hard to blame the guy.

He has his great moments but this guy shouldve been a 80-90 point regular

"All the coaches are idiots".........come on man.

We have been hearing about coaching for ten bloody years.

Every new coach that comes in is the new savior......every one of them has been run out of town.

You think Hitch will be coaching them next year? I don't think so. They'll run Chia off (which they absolutely have to do) and the new guy will bring in his own coach.

That will be what, 10 coaches in 10 years?

I'll explain it to you like I did my sister after her 5th move because her neighbors were all assholes.

"It's you Sis, you're the asshole! Move to an acreage and you'll be fine"! Low and behold she did and she's been happy for the last decade!

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Im excited to see how some use McDavid as the reason for both Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins' successes in this thread.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
"All the coaches are idiots".........come on man.

We have been hearing about coaching for ten bloody years.

Every new coach that comes in is the new savior......every one of them has been run out of town.

You think Hitch will be coaching them next year? I don't think so. They'll run Chia off (which they absolutely have to do) and the new guy will bring in his own coach.

That will be what, 10 coaches in 10 years?

I'll explain it to you like I did my sister after her 5th move because her neighbors were all *******s.

"It's you Sis, you're the *******! Move to an acreage and you'll be fine"! Low and behold she did and she's been happy for the last decade!

Normally I would agree with this but when Todd Nelson might have been the most effective coach the Oil had it's bad news.

Almost every coach? Mac wouldn't even match lines at home

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Interesting thread here. I feel liek most people would rate RNH right where he should be. A versatile low-end 1C / High-end 2C who can play on the wings and in mostly any scenario (PK, PP, 4 on 4, etc.).

I think he could be kind of Staal-esque (Jordan) if he was on more successful teams. Playing a complementary role and then slot him in where the team needs him. The problem is that Edmonton has had to lean on him way too much. It appears to me that he would do better as a side-kick, and before McDavid/Drai they tried to make him the hero.

Reactions: ujju2

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Former first overall pick. Never broken 60 points despite getting all the ice time in the world on some crappy Oilers team. I’m not too impressed. He’s having a decent season though. Hopefully he can start living up to that 6 million a year contract.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
He wouldn't go first overall in a redraft, but he's turned into a really good #2 C and is someone you can definitely cheer for, but can't since he plays for Edmonton.
How about you cheer for RNH and I'll cheer for Monahan?
Two dudes that nobody can hate.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
As an Oiler fan, I'm thrilled to have him on the team. $6 million for a #2 center who can play the wing when required and is on the first unit power play? Nothing wrong with that at all. There are many things wrong with the Oilers, but their depth at center isn't one of them. RNH isn't the best 2nd line center in the league, but he's a solid player. I think he's in the same category as Johansen, Couturier, O'Reilly, Duchene, Monahan, Johnson, etc. He isn't among the elite centers in the league, but he certainly belongs in the discussion as part of the second tier.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
get's quite overrated but he's still a really good #2C. not really sure if he would be considered a #1C. needs to hit 60 points at least.

Reactions: Dan403

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know why people are saying he'd just had a hot start to this season. He has 29 goals and 70 points in his last 82 games. That's going back to late October of last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad