News Article: "Ryan Nugent-Hopkins tired of getting Oilers coaches fired"

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You've got it all wrong,Johnny Gaudreau is the best player from the Draft.

Even if you believe that, which would be crazy after 1 good rookie season (remember Nuge's rookie season?), why are you boasting about the fact that you didn't want the Oilers to take RNH? You were pushing hard for Larsson if I recall and there's no way I'd deal RNH for Larsson.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hard to take your post serious when he was in year 2 of his ELC at 19 not making $6 million per. He was making $6 million last season at least in AAV and will again this season, so if you want to critique his pay to his salary at least get the facts straight.
This is a perfect example of what happens on this board all the time. Someone dares to say a disparaging word about RNH and some people will focus on those one or two words and ignore the substance of the post. It seems like RNH isn't to be criticized at all.

Oh dear me, I misspoke on his salary. :bow: The only reason I even mentioned it is because some folks were posting what a hard hard life RNH has had "since he was eighteen".

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Even if you believe that, which would be crazy after 1 good rookie season (remember Nuge's rookie season?), why are you boasting about the fact that you didn't want the Oilers to take RNH? You were pushing hard for Larsson if I recall and there's no way I'd deal RNH for Larsson.

I posted Johnny Gaudreau as a joke.

I don't consider him the best player from the Draft.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is a perfect example of what happens on this board all the time. Someone dares to say a disparaging word about RNH and some people will focus on those one or two words and ignore the substance of the post. It seems like RNH isn't to be criticized at all.

Oh dear me, I misspoke on his salary. :bow: The only reason I even mentioned it is because some folks were posting what a hard hard life RNH has had "since he was eighteen".

Come on harpoon, you are not a casual fan, you are a diehard like many of us and have waded through years of Oilers "hockey". There is no excuse for you saying that a guy was on his 2nd contract after a 3 year ELC at the ripe old age of 19. If you're talking about life experiences then RNH did have it rough, his family couldn't afford to put him into hockey for a season and his dad battled cancer. This is far from a snot nosed punk that has been handed everything his whole life. Since turning pro he has had Horcoff as his mentor/security blanket, a far past his prime Horcoff for that matter.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
RNH is bulletproof to me. **** for teammates. **** for some sort of leadership help. First 1st line C (*projected*) of the team since Doug Weight. Frail, small body. Wicked hockey sense, fantastic attitude. Keeps trying to chug along. Clearly is a different character than most of the guys on the team, not as open and whatnot. Call a spade a spade in terms of performance but I don't understand how people slagging on him can by the same token accuse people of being defensive when they try to give their "unbiased opinion". He's been pretty good, last season I was more than happy with how he performed - all things considered. The kid has done nothing wrong. He was drafted, and has played, end of story. The entire org has been ****ed up for years.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Never should have let go of Krueger. MacT's first move (which was to make room for Eakins) turned out to be his downfall. :shakehead

It was the worst thing Mac-T did, that season I saw the team have fun, Games felt competitive and for me personally the most fun season since the 2006 run. The following year under Eakins things went downhill. Just awful.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Come on harpoon, you are not a casual fan, you are a diehard like many of us and have waded through years of Oilers "hockey". There is no excuse for you saying that a guy was on his 2nd contract after a 3 year ELC at the ripe old age of 19.
Pointed out, acknowledged, little bowing icon utilized, moving on, OK? It was my bad to even bring up the salary because it is not relevant to what I was trying to say.
If you're talking about life experiences then RNH did have it rough, his family couldn't afford to put him into hockey for a season and his dad battled cancer. This is far from a snot nosed punk that has been handed everything his whole life.
Well no, I wasn't really talking about life experiences at all, but since you brought it up, I'm not sure where I ever referred to RNH as a snot nosed punk. On the contrary I said he reminds everyone of their little brother. I can guarantee you if he was on my line I wouldn't be found looking around for my bus when someone took a run at him. In my original post in this thread I also made sure to clarify that I never felt for a second that RNH should feel responsible for any of his five coaches getting fired. In fact to my recollection the "worst" thing I've ever said about RNH on this site is that he reminds me of a slightly amped up version of David Legwand. I am not a RNH hater and it makes me uncomfortable that so many posters (not only you) seem to wish to place me in that category because I characterized RNH's comments as "weepy". That's it. One little word. And for what its worth I stand by that characterization. I mean he's still talking about how "tough" it was to lose Wreck it Ralph? mtfu.

If you read the rest of my post you see that it expresses the hope (if not the same degree of belief that you may have) that RNH will turn it up right out of the gate and use the McDavid advantage to really roast some teams when favorable matchups fall to him. I also suggested RNH could play harder. We can debate that all season long but I sure hope that the RNH I've seen so far isn't the best he has to give. I can honestly count on both hands (being generous) the number of games I've walked away from saying "holy **** did that kid ever put on a show". You may be different, but that's been my viewing.
Since turning pro he has had Horcoff as his mentor/security blanket, a far past his prime Horcoff for that matter.
And I know you're a fair minded man and consider that every player on the team gets to play the "I had a ****** coach" and the "I had ****** linemates" and the "I had ****** role models" cards. These things are not specific to RNH, in fact he's had the best linemates, the most PP time, and (the first line in general) the most leeway with the coaches.

Last edited:

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It was the worst thing Mac-T did, that season I saw the team have fun, Games felt competitive and for me personally the most fun season since the 2006 run. The following year under Eakins things went downhill. Just awful.

Exactly. Even if the Oilers don't make the playoffs, I'd love for them to have fun and be competitive every night. I just want an entertaining team to watch at the end of the day.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Exactly. Even if the Oilers don't make the playoffs, I'd love for them to have fun and be competitive every night. I just want an entertaining team to watch at the end of the day.

The goal is to return to becoming a consistant Cup Contender and not a team that will forever finish 8th-10th.

Oilers are better long term because we had Eakins at the helm.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Too bad for Nuge, this fanbase loves to fire it's coaches year in year out.

Also bragging that you didn't want RNH as the first overall pick, when you wanted Larsson isn't something to be proud about. Especially if you want the team to have a first overall pick every ****ing year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The goal is to return to becoming a consistant Cup Contender and not a team that will forever finish 8th-10th.

Oilers are better long term because we had Eakins at the helm.

I couldn't agree more. I've been a fan for a while. That previous identity of bubble finishes but with hard working, fast skating hockey has been done to death. It pretty much lasted from 1995-2009. The lovable underdogs. It was fun, but now it's time to try something new. It's time to build a contender.

Eakins put us over the top. Draisaitl + McDavid. Plus there was a good Lowetide article that argued that Eakins was helping to push our advanced stats in the right direction. There may very well have been development going on under the surface. Still, it's mainly the draft picks that made Eakins worth it imo.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I couldn't agree more. I've been a fan for a while. That previous identity of bubble finishes but with hard working, fast skating hockey has been done to death. It pretty much lasted from 1995-2009. The lovable underdogs. It was fun, but now it's time to try something new. It's time to build a contender.

Eakins put us over the top. Draisaitl + McDavid. Plus there was a good Lowetide article that argued that Eakins was helping to push our advanced stats in the right direction. There may very well have been development going on under the surface. Still, it's mainly the draft picks that made Eakins worth it imo.

Eakins method for getting the advanced stats in the right direction was to shoot wildly from everywhere to increase corsi events for. Then in your own end leave a guy so open in the slot while everyone else chases the puck that all it takes is one shot and a goal is scored thereby reducing corsi against. :help:

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Eakins method for getting the advanced stats in the right direction was to shoot widely from everywhere to increase corsi events for. Then in your own end leave a guy so open in the slot while everyone else chases the puck that all it takes is one shot and a goal is scored thereby reducing corsi against. :help:

there is some truth to that, but it's way overstated. At any rate, it seems clear to me that there was development going on, but for every good thing that Eakins did, he did two bad things. When you fall behind like that players lose confidence and then the whole thing falls apart.

At any rate, I liked that Lowetide article http://lowetide.ca/2015/09/10/re-14-15-dallas-eakins-not-my-cross-to-bear/, and it also did a good job at putting some cold water on Nelson. Although, I will just say that Nelson was wayyyy better than Eakins. A team should not be striving to hit abstract stats before they learn to play together and get a marginal amount of traction that way first.

I'm just saying that Eakins couldn't be as bad as his current reputation, which is practically a caricature at this point.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
there is some truth to that, but it's way overstated. At any rate, it seems clear to me that there was development going on, but for every good thing that Eakins did, he did two bad things. When you fall behind like that players lose confidence and then the whole thing falls apart.

At any rate, I liked that Lowetide article http://lowetide.ca/2015/09/10/re-14-15-dallas-eakins-not-my-cross-to-bear/, and it also did a good job at putting some cold water on Nelson. Although, I will just say that Nelson was wayyyy better than Eakins. A team should not be striving to hit abstract stats before they learn to play together and get a marginal amount of traction that way first.

I'm just saying that Eakins couldn't be as bad as his current reputation, which is practically a caricature at this point.

Of course it is overstated. But the part that is true tells you a lot about why the team failed so poorly.

Eakins has become a caricature because the performance of his team was almost inexplicably bad. And because his actions were almost diametrically opposite from his words. Look no further than his claims about how the team would be in tremendous shape and never get outworked. And yet his practices consisted of a lot of standing around listening to him talk.

In all honesty I though that article by Lowetide was a mess. It is stuff like that which gives advanced stats a bad name. Even basic stats are presented in a misleading way. For example the article refers as evidence to a post that suggests that RNH's production was better under Eakins. What it actually shows is that at 5 vs 5 Nuge had a remarkably consistent year. What is does not show is how Eakins abysmal pp killed his numbers. He has 3 pp points at the time Eakins left. But its not Nuge's numbers that were the primary victim of the terrible power play, it was wins since in the NHL scoring only at 5 vs 5 means you lose a lot more games than you should.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Eakins method for getting the advanced stats in the right direction was to shoot wildly from everywhere to increase corsi events for. Then in your own end leave a guy so open in the slot while everyone else chases the puck that all it takes is one shot and a goal is scored thereby reducing corsi against. :help:

Yea, Eakins violated basic assumptions that Corsi makes. Corsi assumes that all shots are of equal quality. The Oilers under Eakins had both lower quality offensive chances and gave up higher quality chances on defense.

Corsi actually correlates reasonably well with wins, but Eakins failed to realize that correlation =/= causation.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Rnh as a player can be critiqued but he alone in my eyes has done everything asked of him from every coach and done his best on every night. Him and mcdavid are the types of characters that not only win but win with class. I hope the both work out as our top two because they seem to be awesome people and then awesome hockey players

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Krueger had no preseason! We only played the West! And if you launch the retort that every Western Conference team was disadvantaged in not playing the East, well, that's not true--the Oilers have had an above average record for a Western conference team against the East.

He adopted the simplest tactical system possible, which was man-to-man marking in our d-zone and having the wingers cover the points. He knew the team had numerous deficiencies, so he let the wingers cheat in their zone for breakout passes. I guarantee you that he knew the team had structural issues.

He had two assistant coaches. And not just any assistant coaches, but Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith. Let that settle in: a rookie head coach in the NHL (albeit with extensive international experience) had less assistant coaches than other teams, and his assistants were Buchberger and Smith.

The team was bad and imbalanced. It had the Belanger Triangle. Our big playoffs reinforcement was Jerred ****ing Smithson.

I guarantee that Krueger would have had the team looking better in his sophomore season with a proper preseason to implement a better tactical system.
29 other teams didn't have pre-season either. Krueger is overrated.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Too bad for Nuge, this fanbase loves to fire it's coaches year in year out.

Also bragging that you didn't want RNH as the first overall pick, when you wanted Larsson isn't something to be proud about. Especially if you want the team to have a first overall pick every ****ing year.

i was one of those who wanted larsson early on in the draft year, i came around to RNH near the end a bit, but i likely still would have picked larsson if i was the one making the pick.... good thing i'm not a scout! :)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
29 other teams didn't have pre-season either. Krueger is overrated.

Kruger had his issues to be sure but has there ever been a time when you acknowledged the poor job that MacT and Lowe did...or were their poor results as Managers always someone elses fault?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad