Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (the most important yet underated oiler)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Simple solution imo? Give him some big guys with skill to work with, something he's never had. He's a great cycler who would benefit greatly from having some guys with him who can maintain offensive zone pressure until something opens up for his playmaking to really shine. I think if he had the chance to play with a Maroon/Kassian + Hall or Pouliot you would see his creativity coming back because with sustained zone pressure he doesn't always constantly have to hang back and blow all his energy on the back check.

you really gotta wonder what having all 3 Cs in the lineup would do as well.... one of those Cs is getting 3rd/4th line opposition.... that could be just as powerful as better line mates

having the 3 Cs is the dream we've all had since we won the mcdavid lottery, its so sad that the season is almost gone and we haven't had a chance to experience it yet... chia has even mentioned this! lol

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Simple solution imo? Give him some big guys with skill to work with, something he's never had. He's a great cycler who would benefit greatly from having some guys with him who can maintain offensive zone pressure until something opens up for his playmaking to really shine. I think if he had the chance to play with a Maroon/Kassian + Hall or Pouliot you would see his creativity coming back because with sustained zone pressure he doesn't always constantly have to hang back and blow all his energy on the back check.

Also don't stick him up against the toughs all the time. I really think Nuge's offensive game is suffering because he was 1) playing way too much and 2) always drawing the tough comps. That's quite the ask of a 21/22 year old.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Picking up all those extra picks gives us some flexibility to maneuver, as well. I don't think anyone saw Patrick Maroon as available for what we gave up for him. Some teams will be in serious cap trouble and need to offload.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
i think this is the dominant thought process for most fans

I'd really like to see them in playoffs before having to make that decision but I doubt we get there without it having to happen beforehand. Eberle was just so clutch back in the day in playoff type games, scoring massive goals for team Canada.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Also don't stick him up against the toughs all the time. I really think Nuge's offensive game is suffering because he was 1) playing way too much and 2) always drawing the tough comps. That's quite the ask of a 21/22 year old.

Yea, exactly. I'd really like to see what Nuge could do against weaker opposition. Would also be interesting to see him with two bigger guys who can cycle and let Nuge be the creative guy on the line. I think the "defense-first" think is deeply ingrained into him right now so hopefully McLellan could loosen him up a bit. I think on the road he's going to get some very favorable matchups because McDavid/Drai will draw the tough matchups. Unless you put RNH back with Hall and Drai but that line looked really good in its time together too so.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Don't play Nuge against other teams toughs, eh.

As in: don't play him against almost all the 1st lines in the league and about half the 2nd lines, then maybe, he'll produce like a 1c?

yeah, that probably would help him out.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

As in: don't play him against almost all the 1st lines in the league and about half the 2nd lines, then maybe, he'll produce like a 1c?

Well, if you're invested in liking him as a player, getting him away from situations where he does poorly is a good way to make him look a lot better :laugh:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

You would like to think a legit #1 C would be able to produce against top competition.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site

At home RNH would most likely get the tough comp/zone starts as Todd will try to get McD out there to dominate weaker comp..on the road most coaches are gonna try to slow down McJesus

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The best part about keeping Nuge away from the toughs is that it means we play one of two rookies against them instead.

But nah, 5 year vet, supposedly known for his two-way play, needs one of McDavid or Drai to take those matchups instead.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We could have RNH until McDavid entery level deal expires. Drai is going to ask for at least 6M, cause the comparable will be RNH.

McDavid is going to command lets say 9 million. 21 Million in centers? Even Pittsburg couldnt do it.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
You think RNH was playing well this year?

I think everybody was learning the new coaches and RNH took all the tough matchups so the rookie centre Draisaitl could shine (Mcdavid was hurt) and when Mcdavid was healthy Nuge got hurt.

I think RNH did OK. Next year with Draisaitl and Mcdavid being more experienced RNH will do real good.

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
We could have RNH until McDavid entery level deal expires. Drai is going to ask for at least 6M, cause the comparable will be RNH.

McDavid is going to command lets say 9 million. 21 Million in centers? Even Pittsburg couldnt do it.

We can do it
you-can-do-it-o.gif

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Well what was he doing well? Certainly wasn't generating offense well. Certainly wasn't preventing goals against well.

What else is there?

I think he may actually be effective as a 3C - he will NEVER get much for stats, but team-wise they're decent up the middle with him in the lineup there.. I say that being a guy who hates his game and hates him at $6/per...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think everybody was learning the new coaches and RNH took all the tough matchups so the rookie centre could shine (Mcdavid was hurt) and when Mcdavid was healthy Nuge got hurt.

I think RNH did OK. Next year with Draisaitl and Mcdavid being more experienced RNH will do real good.

Everyone said RNH would do really well this year because teams wouldn't be able to match up their best defenders against him anymore with McDavid/Drai. Which is what happened for the bulk of the time RNH was playing. Every game Hall/Drai was the line that was getting keyed on and RNH was left to face 2nd pairing defense. Didn't do much with it.

People make it sound like it was RNH being matched up against the Kopitar/Thornton/Getzlaf's of the world and Draisaitl was playing other teams bottom pairing guys. That's not even remotely what was going on. If RNH was playing tougher competition than Draisaitl, it was marginally so.

New excuse every year for this player.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sure the hell wasn't playing awful

Sure he was. Most of his fans were convinced he must have been playing injured in Nov/Dec because he was so bad.

The only time he's looked good this year was the short stretch with Hall/Drai when they were hot, and he clearly wasn't driving any of the success of the line considering they didn't miss a beat when RNH was replaced by the typically lazy and apathetic whipping boy in Purcell.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Pittsburgh does it right now. They've got 20.1 tied up in 3 centers.

Sure he was. Most of his fans were convinced he must have been playing injured in Nov/Dec because he was so bad.

The only time he's looked good this year was the short stretch with Hall/Drai when they were hot, and he clearly wasn't driving any of the success of the line considering they didn't miss a beat when RNH was replaced by the typically lazy and apathetic whipping boy in Purcell.

Hall took a tonne of heat last year with everyone blaming him for RNH's struggles whenever they were on the same line.

But when you look at RNH with Hall and without Hall this year at 5v5. The difference in results are staggering.

RNH with Hall: 3.00 GF/60, 2.14 GA/60 and 51.7 CF%
RNH without Hall: 2.16 GF/60, 3.46GA/60 and 45.5 CF%

And it's not like it's a small sample size. Hall is RNH's second most frequent linemate this year.

Epic carry right there.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Well what was he doing well? Certainly wasn't generating offense well. Certainly wasn't preventing goals against well.

What else is there?

I guess you trade him for whatever you can then.

22 years old, he's done.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Ideally, best case scenario for next year, you keep Nuge and move Drai to the wing. I pick on Nuge, but he is a good player.. a useful, valuable player.

Hopefully (Please, baby, please!!!!), Chia can improve our D enough without having to trade Nuge or Hall. I don't know if it's possible, but.... PLEASE, MAKE IT SO!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad