Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (the most important yet underated oiler)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nuge is going to be so important going forward. I know you essentially can't compare any one to the potential of McDavid, but I would put Nuge a close second. First of all Nuge will be the most important player for McDavid. He is the guy that can make sure McDavid has a spot to shine. Nuge can play heavy minutes and shelter McDavid.

The big thing about Nuge is just how complete of a player he is set to become. I think since his rookie season many have been seen his lackluster offensive numbers and sold him of as a ok #2 type C. The thing that people don't see is just how hard he works at defense. He looked great last year, IMO was our best player by a long shot. I think he could have easily been closer to 70 points with a bit more puck luck. To top it off he struggled through a major shoulder problem that really took a full year to recover from.

The thing is of all the players, Hall, Eberle, Yaks, etc that we have produced the only one that shapes up to be a true all around star is nuge.

I think he is going to have a monster season and people around the league are going to start to realize just how good he is. He has Datsyk and Toews type upside and I think he gets there sooner rather than later.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-nugent-hopkins-in-elite-centre-territory/

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nuge is going to be a critical cog this season. I think hell be able to match top NHL centers this year step for step. His offense is coming around and he's finally able to handle them physically. He'll be able to take the heat off mcdavid by matching against top lines, but excel in those situations. His two way game will also keep the pucj out of our net

How I see the importance of our players based on if they hit max
potential

Mcdavid- generational, one of best players to ever play

RNH- toews/datsyuk like. But playing 2c

Nurse- #1 or 2 tough as nail D

Hall- franchise winger (almost there)

LD- good #1c, great 2c. Kesler like role

Eberle- good to great 1st liner winger

Klefbom- Seabrook lite #2 or #3

Yak- good first liner

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nuge is going to be a critical cog this season. I think hell be able to match top NHL centers this year step for step. His offense is coming around and he's finally able to handle them physically. He'll be able to take the heat off mcdavid by matching against top lines, but excel in those situations. His two way game will also keep the pucj out of our net

How I see the importance of our players based on if they hit max
potential

Mcdavid- generational, one of best players to ever play

RNH- toews/datsyuk like. But playing 2c

Nurse- #1 or 2 tough as nail D

Hall- franchise winger (almost there)

LD- good #1c, great 2c. Kesler like role

Eberle- good to great 1st liner winger

Klefbom- Seabrook lite #2 or #3

Yak- good first liner

Agree with most of this, but LD will never be anything like Kesler. He is more in the Kopitar or Barkov type mold.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agree with most of this, but LD will never be anything like Kesler. He is more in the Kopitar or Barkov type mold.

Just in terms of role, kesler is a way better skater. But used as great 2c

Kopitar is elite 1c

So kopitar lite lite

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This is the last year that I hold out much hope for him taking a big step in his offensive game. His even-strength production is a VERY nice sign, but the comparisons to a guy like Toews seem a little offbase. Toews has demonstrated a higher offensive ceiling that Nugent-Hopkins has so far.

I have an autographed Nugent-Hopkins jersey in my garage. He's among my favorite players in the league, but if he doesn't take the next step this season then I really think it'll be time to seriously roll back some of the expectations I had for him earlier on.

I'm hoping he blows us all away.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
This is the last year that I hold out much hope for him taking a big step in his offensive game. His even-strength production is a VERY nice sign, but the comparisons to a guy like Toews seem a little offbase. Toews has demonstrated a higher offensive ceiling that Nugent-Hopkins has so far.

I have an autographed Nugent-Hopkins jersey in my garage. He's among my favorite players in the league, but if he doesn't take the next step this season then I really think it'll be time to seriously roll back some of the expectations I had for him earlier on.

Wasn't Nuge and Eberle among the league leaders in points for a long stretch of time after Eakins was fired? I'm not worried about Nuge's offence.. I think soon enough, he'll be a consistent 70+ point player... especially now that we have McDavid and other teams can't only just focus on shutting down Nuge's line.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Maybe, Toews at the same age as Nuge had 69 points in 82 games. Well that was his second full season, he played one more year in junior than nuge. So that year or his next year. Still not light years better than Nuge considering he played on a stacked team. 59 points last year was equivalent to 69 the year Toews did it.

I agree this should be a the last year to hold out hope he can be a 80 point type player, but I think he will do it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Wasn't Nuge and Eberle among the league leaders in points for a long stretch of time after Eakins was fired? I'm not worried about Nuge's offence.. I think soon enough, he'll be a consistent 70+ point player... especially now that we have McDavid and other teams can't only just focus on shutting down Nuge's line.

For sure, there are some positive signs. At some point that needs to translate to real results though and if it doesn't happen this year I'm not sure it ever will.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Nuge took a big step toward ES production last year

now, if he can get back his PP wizardry...could have a 70+ point season this year

That will be key for sure. He'll have McDavid to compete with on the top PP as well though. Post-Eakins he produced at like a 65 point level and I'm wondering if that's more reasonable long term for him, with 2nd C duties and solid defensive play. If so that's an excellent player, but just a few steps back from what I thought he could be.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
That will be key for sure. He'll have McDavid to compete with on the top PP as well though. Post-Eakins he produced at like a 65 point level and I'm wondering if that's more reasonable long term for him, with 2nd C duties and solid defensive play. If so that's an excellent player, but just a few steps back from what I thought he could be.

I think how the pp works out will influence a lot. Personally I would love to see Nuge and McDavid on the first unit. Nuge on the point.

Nuge-- Schults

McD ----- Eberle
Hall

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
For sure, there are some positive signs. At some point that needs to translate to real results though and if it doesn't happen this year I'm not sure it ever will.

I was quite happy with Nuge's season last year. Career high in goals, 5x5 stats were great, and establishing himself as a great 2way centre at the young age of 22. Nuge was tied with Eberle for the team lead in goals with 24 and he played in 5 fewer games than Ebs. His goal scoring has improved almost every year too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nuge had higher ev points than toews last season. With a better pp he could be looking at 70

Toews however is elite defensively for a 1c, rnh is only good right now. He still needs to improve to be on toews tier

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nuge had higher ev points than toews last season. With a better pp he could be looking at 70

Toews however is elite defensively for a 1c, rnh is only good right now. He still needs to improve to be on toews tier

I agree, but I honestly think if you control for team and league scoring Nuge is now just as good as Toews was at the same age.

edit at the same age Toews had 68 point and Chicago scored 271 goals. Nuge had 56 but the oilers scored 198 goals. So as a percentage of goals nuge was at 28% vs 25% for Toews. Not bad, clearly you have to factor that in.

Last edited:

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Nuge will likely be one of the league leaders for forwards in minutes played again next year.

He'll get his 15 minutes ES/game, 2 min PK, and 2 min PP.

One thing that may hold up his point production is there is only so much puck to go around, especially on the PP.

What's exciting is, after McDavid adjusts to the pro game for 40 minutes/game the opposition will either have McDavid or nuge to face at center. (Throw hall into that mix as well).

Between these 3 players it's a guaranteed scoring chance every single time they're on the ice.

But again the concern is, between our top 6 forwards and 4 D there is only so much puck to go around.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
This year is critical. If he can't put it together and start showing up under McLellan, then he's lost.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

RNH would look a lot better with Chicago's back end imo. I feel like the "two-way player" schtick has become out of control. A lot of teams with the best "two-way players" also happen to have pretty good coaching, tending and defense. Not that being solid defensively doesn't exist...I suppose I just think the term is overrated as hell for forwards.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We need to get his minutes down, thankfully the golden lottery ticket probably took care of that and then some.

He was playing too many minutes last year IMO. Yes he can handle it, but it's not optimal for having peak performance.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This year is critical. If he can't put it together and start showing up under McLellan, then he's lost.

RNH played well last year, he's the least of the Oilers' worries.

Yakupov and Schultz are the ones that need to put up this year or they're done.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
We need to get his minutes down, thankfully the golden lottery ticket probably took care of that and then some.

He was playing too many minutes last year IMO. Yes he can handle it, but it's not optimal for having peak performance.

I'm really hoping Lander can repeat his success and can take some of the PK and ES minutes away from Nuge.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Comes across as a tad overdramatic. Nugent Hopkins right now is a very good player. Even if he never improves on what he currently is (55 point centerman ;)) he will still be a valuable contributor in the league. I have my doubts he will get any better, and for a first overall pick what he brings to the table is underwhelming. But "lost" should be reserved for someone like yakupov should he not get any better. Not rnh who is a legitimate top 6 forward in the league.

I think Mcdavid is a god send for nuge. Someone down the line that can be the guy. Nuge won't be counted on as much to be the star offensive player so many want him to be.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
If RNH scores >60 points we're going to be making the playoffs.

He's phenomenal defensively.

He is a great playmaker. Awesome special teams. And if he can be an offensive contributor too then we will have a great team.

I agree - a lot of this team's success is on his shoulders. But the media doesn't see that, and they're going to leave RNH alone to do his thing and quietly build this team's confidence.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe, Toews at the same age as Nuge had 69 points in 82 games. Well that was his second full season, he played one more year in junior than nuge. So that year or his next year. Still not light years better than Nuge considering he played on a stacked team. 59 points last year was equivalent to 69 the year Toews did it.

I agree this should be a the last year to hold out hope he can be a 80 point type player, but I think he will do it.

I agree. There's no way his offensive game will improve after this season. Considering last year was the first time he has played as an Oiler with two arms that work and was among league leaders for EV points for Cs, playing tough minutes, with no center support, with the worst coach in history, and his top winger hurt most of the year...we should definitely consider him peaked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad