Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (the most important yet underated oiler)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed:handclap:

edit: for the record, I never really wanted to trade Nuge, just thought he would return the most of the "rotten core"

That's why I still think he goes.

I guess you move Hall if you can sign Lucic. How much is Lucic gonna get? AAV of $10M?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Funny the perspective shift that's happened on Nuge since he's been out because the team has been playing like crap.

Nuge has been terrible this year when he's been playing. Have people seriously forgotten that because they've lost 7 in a row while he's been out?

Not saying he's not important, or that we should trade him ahead of anyone else. But seems like people have completely forgotten how subpar offensively AND defensively he has been for the majority of this year.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Funny the perspective shift that's happened on Nuge since he's been out because the team has been playing like crap.

Nuge has been terrible this year when he's been playing. Have people seriously forgotten that because they've lost 7 in a row while he's been out?

People were saying stuff like "Eberle is the straw that stirs the drink" and other statements exaggerating his importance when the Oilers were losing without him, so not really surprising similar stuff is being said about RNH now. Short memories around here...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
People were saying stuff like "Eberle is the straw that stirs the drink" and other statements exaggerating his importance when the Oilers were losing without him, so not really surprising similar stuff is being said about RNH now. Short memories around here...

Things are extremely blurry with this board right now.

Eberle has 9 goals in thirteen games with McDavid and 15 points. He had one bad game against LA and a bunch of people wanted him traded to bring in Yak who had 2 goals in the same span plus a bunch of secondary assists.

Eberle is a #1 RW on most teams even with his faults.

RNH is at worst a #2 on all but a tiny handful of teams, is only 22 and well short of his prime, especially with his skill set. Also was at his most productive while playing while centering Hall and Leon.

Both those players have their warts but both those players are irreplaceable with Edmontons current prospects/line up.

Trading either will open a hole guaranteed. No one drafted in the next two years will be able to replace their experience. The Oilers have proven this without a shadow of a doubt.

I remember being disappointed in both players at times and impressed by both players at times. If a significant RD can be gotten for either and no other options exist you make that trade but that will be a sideways move to some extent.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I've said all along that the 3 C's are the guys up front that I'd keep as my forward core. IMO one of Hall or Eberle gets moved to fix some of our other needs and Chia needs to be creative to improve our D beyond that trade.
If anyone ia traded, it better be Ebs. Ebs is soft. Chia likes players like Hall. It will be Ebs that gets traded. The Hall hatred is going too far. I'm sick and tired of the crap that said about Hall with no proof whatsoever.

Last edited:

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
If anyone ia traded, it better be Ebs. Ebs is soft. Chia likes players like Hall. It will Ebs that gets traded. The Hall hatred is going too far. I'm sick and tired of the crap that said about Hall with no proof whatsoever.

Purcell is gone, trade Ebs for D and who is playing the right side? Why would you create another huge hole? I am certainly not excited to see Yakupov as our #1 RW with nothing behind him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If anyone ia traded, it better be Ebs. Ebs is soft. Chia likes players like Hall. It will Ebs that gets traded. The Hall hatred is going too far. I'm sick and tired of the crap that said about Hall with no proof whatsoever.

The truth of the matter is that all three, Eberle, Hall and RNH, bring unique and valuable traits to the team. Eberle is the best one shot scorer on the team, something this team lacks. Hall certainly is the most dominant all around offensive player and has a level offensively that the other two don't, and RNH is the most versatile and cerebral of the three.

I think who goes won't be determined by who Chiarelli likes most, but rather which one team X is going to target for their top pairing d-man.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I would trade Ebs of the 3 as well.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Eberle has 9 goals in thirteen games with McDavid and 15 points. He had one bad game against LA and a bunch of people wanted him traded to bring in Yak who had 2 goals in the same span plus a bunch of secondary assists.

RNH is at worst a #2 on all but a tiny handful of teams, is only 22 and well short of his prime,
especially with his skill set. Also was at his most productive while playing while centering Hall and Leon.

Both those players have their warts but both those players are irreplaceable with Edmontons current prospects/line up.

Trading either will open a hole guaranteed. No one drafted in the next two years will be able to replace their experience. The Oilers have proven this without a shadow of a doubt.

I remember being disappointed in both players at times and impressed by both players at times. If a significant RD can be gotten for either and no other options exist you make that trade but that will be a sideways move to some extent.

all true. but how are all our core players together?. We have made this mistake for years now, viewing each player in a vacuum. Yes, each one is good, but together? bottom 3 in the league.

Furthermore, how do we improve our D? Mact tried by not trading anything of value, and we all know how that worked out.

We MUST trade a valuable asset, or two, this summer for 2 quality Dmen. I'm inclined to go with Eberle and the 1st round pick. it will hurt, no doubt, but status quo is not an option.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The truth of the matter is that all three, Eberle, Hall and RNH, bring unique and valuable traits to the team. Eberle is the best one shot scorer on the team, something this team lacks. Hall certainly is the most dominant all around offensive player and has a level offensively that the other two don't, and RNH is the most versatile and cerebral of the three.

I think who goes won't be determined by who Chiarelli likes most, but rather which one team X is going to target for their top pairing d-man.

bingo

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Not saying he's not important, or that we should trade him ahead of anyone else. But seems like people have completely forgotten how subpar offensively AND defensively he has been for the majority of this year.

I think you are seriously underrating his importance to this team.

I would trade Hall and Eberle before I came close to trading RNH.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
If anyone ia traded, it better be Ebs. Ebs is soft. Chia likes players like Hall. It will be Ebs that gets traded. The Hall hatred is going too far. I'm sick and tired of the crap that said about Hall with no proof whatsoever.

I'm ok with one of Eberle/Hall/RNH being traded if a #1 d-man is coming back the other way. That's it. The idea of trading any of those three for picks makes me want to puke.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Yup and soft.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Purcell is gone, trade Ebs for D and who is playing the right side? Why would you create another huge hole? I am certainly not excited to see Yakupov as our #1 RW with nothing behind him.

Draisaitl played well on the right side earlier this year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think you are seriously underrating his importance to this team.

I would trade Hall and Eberle before I came close to trading RNH.

That's a tremendous gutting of the core old.

All three being traded are possibilities. Really depends on what is coming back.

As a C I get why Nuge is theoretically the most valuable of the three.

It just so happens that C is the position this team is most stacked at.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
If we trade Hall, well regret it. If we trade one of the 3 it should be Ebs. He has decent value and we need Halls elite ability and RNHs 2way game. Ebs definitely brings offense but we should have enough of that with Hall, McDavid, Drai, Nuge, etc. Also, Ebs is small. We need to be bigger in the top 6. Trading Eberle for a D would help balance us a lot. Then sign Lucic or Stamkos? How sick would that be?

Hall - Draisaitl - Kassian
Lucic - McDavid - Yak
Pouliot - Nuge - X

or even, if we sign Stamkos, we could potentially ice this top 6

Hall - Stamkos - Yak
Matthews - McDavid - Nuge

a top 6 of first overalls lmao

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If we trade Hall, well regret it. If we trade one of the 3 it should be Ebs. He has decent value and we need Halls elite ability and RNHs 2way game. Ebs definitely brings offense but we should have enough of that with Hall, McDavid, Drai, Nuge, etc. Also, Ebs is small. We need to be bigger in the top 6. Trading Eberle for a D would help balance us a lot. Then sign Lucic or Stamkos? How sick would that be?

Lucic - McDavid - Yak
Pouliot - Nuge - X

Hall - Stamkos - Yak

If we managed to lure in Lucic and assuming we trade 2 of Eberle, Yakupov, or our 1st for D, I'd try to grab a 3C in FA and run:

Hall-Nuge-Drai
Lucic-McDavid-Yak/Ebs/1st
Pouliot-FA signing-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Khaira
Pakarinen/Lander

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary

Lucic - McDavid - Yak
Pouliot - Nuge - X

Hall - Stamkos - Yak

Stamkos? He will want 10+ million AAV. If we sign him Chiarelli should be instatntly fired imo. That cap space needs to go to the D-line in the worst way.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

RNH is at worst a #2 on all but a tiny handful of teams, is only 22 and well short of his prime, especially with his skill set. Also was at his most productive while playing while centering Hall and Leon.

We don't always agree but I am 100% in agreement with this post. Including the part about the potential trade possibly being necessary.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm ok with one of Eberle/Hall/RNH being traded if a #1 d-man is coming back the other way. That's it. The idea of trading any of those three for picks makes me want to puke.

That's utterly insane. Not even MacT would have tried to justify that move.

If one of the old big three goes it has to be for a proven defenceman.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
On a completely unrelated note, I really miss this version of Nuge.

I wish he would find his way back to the level of creativity he had in his rookie year. He has the potential to be so much more than he already is. Maybe with McDavid and Drai being there to share the responsibility he could find his way back and let loose a little bit. You'd have to think McLellan could bring that out of him somehow. It's crazy but he's only 22 years old, if he could hit his stride and be a dominant player in his mid-twenties, oh boy what a scary thought that is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The thing is, do you really need incredible RW's if you're running with 3 very good centres, a top LW in the game and some good big complimentary guys with skill around them. I'm not sure why people always bring this up like it matters which position we are stacked at on the forward group. As long as you have 1 or 2 really good players on each of the top 3 lines, and capable guys who can produce and provide the size, toughness, and cycle game then it doesn't really matter what position you're lacking from. Especially when you have a talent like McDavid on one of your lines, who could play with 2 pylons on his line and still produce as a first line.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
On a completely unrelated note, I really miss this version of Nuge.

I wish he would find his way back to the level of creativity he had in his rookie year. He has the potential to be so much more than he already is. Maybe with McDavid and Drai being there to share the responsibility he could find his way back and let loose a little bit. You'd have to think McLellan could bring that out of him somehow. It's crazy but he's only 22 years old, if he could hit his stride and be a dominant player in his mid-twenties, oh boy what a scary thought that is.

Simple solution imo? Give him some big guys with skill to work with, something he's never had. He's a great cycler who would benefit greatly from having some guys with him who can maintain offensive zone pressure until something opens up for his playmaking to really shine. I think if he had the chance to play with a Maroon/Kassian + Hall or Pouliot you would see his creativity coming back because with sustained zone pressure he doesn't always constantly have to hang back and blow all his energy on the back check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad