Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (the most important yet underated oiler)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hall took a tonne of heat last year with everyone blaming him for RNH's struggles whenever they were on the same line.

But when you look at RNH with Hall and without Hall this year at 5v5. The difference in results are staggering.

RNH with Hall: 3.00 GF/60, 2.14 GA/60 and 51.7 CF%
RNH without Hall: 2.16 GF/60, 3.46GA/60 and 45.5 CF%

And it's not like it's a small sample size. Hall is RNH's second most frequent linemate this year.

Epic carry right there.

Yeah, the arguments that RNH is always a victim of eternal factors has been kicking around since his sophomore season. He'd be good if only he didn't have to cover for Hall and Eberle, he'd be good if he had a veteran center to shelter him, he'd be a real top line center if he didn't have to play top line center minutes etc.

Just one of those guys that can do no wrong for a portion of the fanbase despite being a fairly underwhelming player.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
I guess you trade him for whatever you can then.

22 years old, he's done.

That is a large leap of logic. We criticise a player and thus we must want him gone. Flawed, reactionary thinking.

RNH has had a poor season. Was he injured during his poor stretch? Maybe, but the fact remains he was poor this year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The best part about keeping Nuge away from the toughs is that it means we play one of two rookies against them instead.

But nah, 5 year vet, supposedly known for his two-way play, needs one of McDavid or Drai to take those matchups instead.

Eh, I don't know if this is directed at my comment or not but my idea for playing Nuge against weaker opposition was just to try and reignite his creativity and offensive game. He has played tough minutes for so long now that all he knows is to do the simple play. He has the potential to be so much more than that but he needs to get some confidence back. Best way to do that is to give him a good line and some easier minutes. You don't think that's worth a shot?

I mean, it looks like the same thing is already happening to Drai. He was excelling against the top lines earlier but now he looks exhausted and is not nearly as dangerous as he was earlier. Imagine you don't have McDavid or Nuge and you keep doing that for the next 3 years, I think there'd be a real risk he'd lose some creativity in his game as well. Having confidence is huge...

Gambl0r83*

Daniel Cormier on Fans cheering Jon Jones' return to the UFC and then booing himself as the current champion: "When someone is away, even if they hated him before they went away, it makes people grow fond of them"

When ebs was injured, "Man, we need ebs so bad right now". "This team has left a big gaping whole without the 3 time top Oiler Scorer"
When nuge was playing "Man, trade him for a dman when McDavid comes back". "Connor and Drai will carry us now!"

Now ebs is back: "Of the 3, ebs should be traded". "He's too soft and we can get a dman for him"
Now nuge is injured: "Can't wait 'till he comes back, 3 solid centers". "Man do we miss Nuge, 4yr 1st line veteran, no way we can trade him!"

Mr. Cormier is right on the money

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Daniel Cormier on Fans cheering Jon Jones' return to the UFC and then booing himself as the current champion: "When someone is away, even if they hated him before they went away, it makes people grow fond of them"

When ebs was injured, "Man, we need ebs so bad right now". "This team has left a big gaping whole without the 3 time top Oiler Scorer"
When nuge was playing "Man, trade him for a dman when McDavid comes back". "Connor and Drai will carry us now!"

Now ebs is back: "Of the 3, ebs should be traded". "He's too soft and we can get a dman for him"
Now nuge is injured: "Can't wait 'till he comes back, 3 solid centers". "Man do we miss Nuge, 4yr 1st line veteran, no way we can trade him!"

Mr. Cormier is right on the money

I'm actually fine with either or gone, preference for Eberle first. I don't think Nuge will ever have the offensive ability Eberle has but the latter is spacing out if he isn't scoring.

With Nuge, his position on the team, IMO, was always contingent on how McDavid/Drai turns out. Plus, there's always the option of moving him to wing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pittsburgh does it right now. They've got 20.1 tied up in 3 centers.

Hall took a tonne of heat last year with everyone blaming him for RNH's struggles whenever they were on the same line.

But when you look at RNH with Hall and without Hall this year at 5v5. The difference in results are staggering.

RNH with Hall: 3.00 GF/60, 2.14 GA/60 and 51.7 CF%
RNH without Hall: 2.16 GF/60, 3.46GA/60 and 45.5 CF%

And it's not like it's a small sample size. Hall is RNH's second most frequent linemate this year.

Epic carry right there.

What do those stats look like without Drai on that line? Those 3 or 4 games really were dominant so it's not just as simple as Hall driving RNH's success this year because Drai was a big part of that lines success as well.

Also Hall last year 53gp. 14-24-38 0.72ppg
RNH last year 76gp. 24-32-56 0.74ppg (his most productive periods w/out Hall)

Hall this year 67gp. 22-34-56 0.83ppg +0.11ppg
RNH this year 46gp. 8-22-30 0.65ppg -0.09ppg

RNH is scoring at his lowest rate since his sophomore season which led to shoulder surgery at the conclusion of it. I still say that he has been playing injured based on what I've seen of him this season. I'm hoping that if he does have an injury as I've suspected that the time off healing up his hand has also taken care of whatever else was/is ailing him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As for the invite to the Worlds, IMO it's one of three things. Chia wants to challenge him to see what he can do when healthy and see how he reacts. They want him to move to wing and challenge him to earn a spot as a winger. Or lastly he has been playing injured and they want to shut him down at seasons end possibly for surgery or maintenance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad