Proposal: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Edmonton/Islanders

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Edmonton gives up the better player who plays the more valuable position. The rest of the parts, the pick and the prospect, have little value.

Not saying that Bailey is better than RNH - it’s impossible to tell. However, you got to consider that Bailey got a higher PPG than RNH during the last two seasons. 0,80 compared to 0,63.

Why do you believe RNH is better than Bailey?

Last edited:

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Sorry, I believe you meant to say mayfield not bailey, this is an oilers Islanders trade after all

Honestly though I really don't see bailey being the one traded to bring in a 1b center after he just signed an extension

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
It's better for Edmonton to shed some salary and does so with the move.

In the process it is debatable as to the drop off if any between RNH and Bailey production.

Bailey has 6 more years at 5 million per
RNH has 3 more years at 6 million per and probably going up on next contract.

So if you agree the skill, production and contracts for these two players become a wash then the question is does Edmonton want Michael Dal Colle for a 3rd round pick?

NHL ready LW on an entry level contract to sit on a line with Connor or Leon sounds good to me as an Oiler.

Islanders are in greater need for the trade is for the 2C

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

In the process it is debatable as to the drop off if any between RNH and Bailey production.

So if you agree the skill, production and contracts for these two players become a wash then the question is does Edmonton want Michael Dal Colle for a 3rd round pick?

NHL ready LW on an entry level contract to sit on a line with Connor or Leon sounds good to me as an Oiler.

i pray for oilers fans if they have to watch michael dal colle on their first line.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

We just went through a decade of being weak at centre, and strong at wing. We'd rather be stronger at Center and weak at wing.

McDavid doesn't mesh well with every winger. He didn't mesh with Taylor Hall, Lucic, or Jordan Eberle. McD needs higher IQ players to really play off of, which is why he seems to mesh best with other Centres (Draisaitl/Nuge).

We are very happy with Nuge. He's untouchable as far as I'm concerned. It's a roll of the dice to know whether he would mesh with Bailey, but I think likely not.

Also, if we're trading a Centre for a winger, we're getting a massive upgrade.
Kinda like how you guys got Eberle for Strome.

We would want someone like Gallagher (I know Habs wouldn't do it).

Reactions: Dan Kelly and 780il

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
What would it take for an Edmonton/Islanders trade for RNH?

Please provide a counter proposal for Islanders assets that get this trade completed.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not saying this is a great trade idea, but Bailey would absolutely mesh with McDavid. His best qualities are starting the transition, and hockey iq.
Would still rather have Hopkins and have him or drai either play mcdavids wing or 2nd line center

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Please provide a counter proposal for Islanders assets that get this trade completed.

Lol, Islanders aren't entitled to RNH. Islanders wouldn't like the price. I'd say Dobson/Pulock+ is the only thing (that Islanders might realistically give up) that might entice EDM.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Fills a need for the Islanders sure, but Chia's received some heavy criticism trading Eberle & especially Hall these past few years.

Oilers don't need to clear cap to sign any remaining UFA. A quick glance at capfriendly shows only Nurse needs an RFA extension, and they have the cap space to keep him. Rushing into another big trade doesn't seem likely considering how quiet an offseason the Oilers are having.

Reactions: zar and PWJunior

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not saying that Bailey is better than RNH - it’s impossible to tell. However, you got to consider that Bailey got a higher PPG than RNH during the last two seasons. 0,80 compared to 0,63.

Why do you believe RNH is better than Bailey?

How is it impossible to tell?

Nuge is 4 years younger
He's better defensively
He's a C
He's got a higher career PPG (and 4 prime years ahead to widen that gap)
At Nuge's age, Bailey was scoring at a fraction of the rate Nuge is scoring at
Nuge still has upside, Bailey has just had his career year... even then the difference is limited

Bailey had a great season. He's not worth Nuge, not close.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Oilers really like Nuge. He showed excellent chemistry with McDavid and he can easily slot back at Center in case McDavid or Draisaitl goes down with injury. The Isles dont really have an excess of assets in any place Edmonton is weak. It would probably take Wahlstrom and Dobson to get it done, and that’s obviously unpalatable to an Isles fan.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

If there was a time to get RNH it would have been using Hamonic. There's really no reason for Edmonton to do it right now. As the best linemate option for McDavid, the best defensive forward Edmonton has, and having that flexibility to move from W/C; Nuge just can't really be replaced. Not talking trade value here but as far as importance to the team at F, it's pretty much McDavid>>>>>>>Draisaitl>Nuge>>>>>>anyone else.

Yeah, the cap space would be nice, but you move Lucic or Sekera for that, you don't use RNH.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol, Islanders aren't entitled to RNH. Islanders wouldn't like the price. I'd say Dobson/Pulock+ is the only thing (that Islanders might realistically give up) that might entice EDM.
I missed the part in the thread where isles fans said they were entitled to RNH. Which nyi post was it?

And no interest in Dobson + or Pulock+ for RNH's 45-55 pts.

Reactions: sebsisles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I missed the part in the thread where isles fans said they were entitled to RNH. Which nyi post was it?

And no interest in Dobson + or Pulock+ for RNH's 45-55 pts.

I was responding to the poster i quoted specifically after saying 'please fix my proposal to get this deal completed'

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
The Oilers really like Nuge. He showed excellent chemistry with McDavid and he can easily slot back at Center in case McDavid or Draisaitl goes down with injury. The Isles dont really have an excess of assets in any place Edmonton is weak. It would probably take Wahlstrom and Dobson to get it done, and that’s obviously unpalatable to an Isles fan.

Even that wouldn't really make any sense for Edmonton. The goal is to compete now, so trading one of your teams top 3 forwards for futures, not getting anyone back that you can plug into the roster (let alone make an impact), it just wouldn't fit.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If there was a time to get RNH it would have been using Hamonic. There's really no reason for Edmonton to do it right now. As the best linemate option for McDavid, the best defensive forward Edmonton has, and having that flexibility to move from W/C; Nuge just can't really be replaced. Not talking trade value here but as far as importance to the team at F, it's pretty much McDavid>>>>>>>Draisaitl>Nuge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anyone else.

Yeah, the cap space would be nice, but you move Lucic or Sekera for that, you don't use RNH.

I can understand preferring the homegrown, younger RNH.

However , I do not see any team taking that Lucic contract without a pretty big enticement and Seketa needs a bounce back season.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Please provide feedback for this proposal and or counter offers.

To Islanders:

-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
-2019 3rd pick

To Edmonton:

-Josh Bailey
-Michael Dal Colle

Easy no from the Oilers

Bailey is 28 and while he is coming off his best season--it took him a long time to get to his break out season--that included lots of assists and only 18 goals. While De Colle is only 22 he has more questions then answers about him right now

With Nuge we want to see how he gels with McDavid before we do anything with him

This trade really does nothing for the oilers

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I think at the very least Edmonton is keeping him for this season. If one of Drai Or Mcdavid get hurt he can slide into that spot. And if all the centers are healthy odds are he will play wing with Mcdavid and hopefully put up some big points which would raise his value for next summer if Oilers are interested.

Everyone usually offers wingers but unless its a good dman coming back and we have a seperate deal to get rid of Sekera/Russel to make room there really isnt a point in making a trade.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Even that wouldn't really make any sense for Edmonton. The goal is to compete now, so trading one of your teams top 3 forwards for futures, not getting anyone back that you can plug into the roster (let alone make an impact), it just wouldn't fit.
Thats a fair statement. I wasn’t arguing Edmonton should do it. Quite the opposite. This was just a comment on the type of theoretical value it would take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad