Friedman: Ryan Murray's name is out there

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I thought they wanted to win a playoff series? You don't do that with Duchene who's never scored a playoff goal, Johnson is the one you want. Just little less production than Duchene but a playoff monster, their values should be similar.

Duchene has had so many opportunities to show what he can do in the playoffs..

Rookie season he had 0+3 in six games.
13-14 season he had 0+3 in two games, while he clearly still was injured and rushed back to the line up.

Johnson has the better playoff resume but Duchene has done well in playoffs too.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
TyJo has become a black sheep on HFBoards. Not many people value him very highly at all anymore. I still think he's closer to Duchene than that, though.

Probably best to hang onto him for now then. Let him bounce back

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Jenner

If CBJ might loose him, Leafs should be all over this.

We have a bunch of exempt players who could be interesting. Would love to be able to put him out as a 3C option behind Matthews and Kadri or possibly as a banging winger for Matthews.

Possible to see a Brown + Bracco/Leipisic + Grundstrom/Neilson type deal? All are exempt.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If CBJ might loose him, Leafs should be all over this.

We have a bunch of exempt players who could be interesting. Would love to be able to put him out as a 3C option behind Matthews and Kadri or possibly as a banging winger for Matthews.

Possible to see a Brown + Bracco/Leipisic + Grundstrom/Neilson type deal? All are exempt.

Jenner will be protected. Anderson is the one who is technically not protected but its already been discussed that Hartnell will be either asked to waive his NMC or be bought out. Some also believe Columbus is one of the teams that have a deal in place with Vegas for the expansion draft. Wont see any excitement there

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Duchene has had so many opportunities to show what he can do in the playoffs..

Rookie season he had 0+3 in six games.
13-14 season he had 0+3 in two games, while he clearly still was injured and rushed back to the line up.

Johnson has the better playoff resume but Duchene has done well in playoffs too.

Still has 0 goals in 8 games and his team hasn't gotten out of the 1st round. Not saying he's been bad he just hasn't been great either.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Still has 0 goals in 8 games and his team hasn't gotten out of the 1st round. Not saying he's been bad he just hasn't been great either.

Other season he was rookie and other season he came back from an injury (still clearly injured) to aid his team that was struggling vs Minnesota. Still got three points in two games.

I think we're done here. Have a good day Sir.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He was pretty great when he put up 3 points in 2 games against the Wild while playing at 75% because he rushed back from injury after Barrie took a Cooke to the knee.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It is odd that Johnson for Murray is considered fair but For Duchene it's Murray + Milano + 1st.

Is it pedigree ?

Johnson <<< Duchene. It's not really close at all.

Duchene is a bigger, faster, stronger and more accomplished player, especially representing Team Canada which is the hardest to crack. Surrounded by inferior wingers and D, plays in the toughest division in hockey, defends against giant size forwards while trying to figure out the coaching mess the team faced the last few years.

Moving Duchene to the East and surrounded by better players and coaching, his numbers are likely to dramatically improve. So he is definitely worth more and it's not pedigree.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Duchene is a bigger, faster, stronger and more accomplished player, especially representing Team Canada which is the hardest to crack. Surrounded by inferior wingers and D, plays in the toughest division in hockey, defends against giant size forwards while trying to figure out the coaching mess the team faced the last few years.

Moving Duchene to the East and surrounded by better players and coaching, his numbers are likely to dramatically improve. So he is definitely worth more and it's not pedigree.

Bigger, sure by 2 inches. Faster, very debatable as Johnson is one of our fastest players. Stronger, again debatable as Johnson doesn't get knocked off the puck easily and has no problem driving the net to score. More accomplished? Johnson has a WJC gold, Calder cup and AHL MVP award, he also took his team to back to back ECF and a SCF.

Regular season production slightly favors Duchene but he can't compare to Johnson in the postseason. Johnson is a winner who carries his team when it matters most, the same can't be said for Duchene.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

It is close. And Duchene is not more accomplished in the NHL.

Duchene/Avs fans have such an inflated sense of value of Duchene, it's truly remarkable.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

I don't agree with the team Canada stuff by saying it's the hardest to crack. The talent coming from places like Russia and the states and even Sweden and Finland are catching up or even these days. Russia has always been loaded but the states and the rest are pretty even right now. The only difference in the teams are that Canada builds a F group of 12 Cs and try to have 4 1st lines as to where the US try and build teams with grinders and scoring. Their team always looks like an actual NHL team. If they built it like Canada does it looks like a completely different group.

And the Avs aren't in the toughest division because the Metro is by far the hardest division in hockey. So if Duchene was traded he would then be in the hardest. Wash, Pitt, and CBJ were like top 7 in the league. The division had 4 teams fighting for the 1 seed and presidents trophy.

I think end of the day it's extremely close but I gibe Duchene only the tiniest edge because he is a face off beast. Other then that Is take Johnson. He is a better goal scorer imo and the speed is very very close in my book I don't know if I could exactly give an edge one way or the other.

Johnson is way too underrated around here. His size makes people think he is worse then he is but I still don't understand that argument especially with some of the guys in the league now.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I don't agree with the team Canada stuff by saying it's the hardest to crack. The talent coming from places like Russia and the states and even Sweden and Finland are catching up or even these days. Russia has always been loaded but the states and the rest are pretty even right now. The only difference in the teams are that Canada builds a F group of 12 Cs and try to have 4 1st lines as to where the US try and build teams with grinders and scoring. Their team always looks like an actual NHL team. If they built it like Canada does it looks like a completely different group.

And the Avs aren't in the toughest division because the Metro is by far the hardest division in hockey. So if Duchene was traded he would then be in the hardest. Wash, Pitt, and CBJ were like top 7 in the league. The division had 4 teams fighting for the 1 seed and presidents trophy.

I think end of the day it's extremely close but I gibe Duchene only the tiniest edge because he is a face off beast. Other then that Is take Johnson. He is a better goal scorer imo and the speed is very very close in my book I don't know if I could exactly give an edge one way or the other.

Johnson is way too underrated around here. His size makes people think he is worse then he is but I still don't understand that argument especially with some of the guys in the league now.

Would you rather have Duchene or Johnson, Milano and 1st ?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Depends on who we get with the first. If we get Yamamoto or Poehling then I'd rather have Johnson and the 1st. If it's one of the toss up guys that could be anywhere between 20-50 then Duchene.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
When you compare Duchene and Johnson its not black and white for me anyway. I like Johnson but hes surrounded with skill (which Duchene has had in the past) but Johnson has always played with a better D group behind him. Im in the group that under different circumstances expect Duchene would seperate himself a bit from Johnson

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Am I crazy or was Murray just on the top pairing for team NA?

But minutes and points and stuff.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Am I crazy or was Murray just on the top pairing for team NA?

But minutes and points and stuff.
And injury prone even though his injuries have been flukes like being hit with a puck in the hand. Murray somehow is considered bottom pairing here. I've seen 2 or 3 people calling him barely an NHLer because of last year's numbers but then they refuse to look into the situation he was in and after you do explain it they ignore it and state he was bottom pair and had worse stats then most of the teams D. I don't know if there is any way to get people to see true value.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Would you rather have Duchene or Johnson, Milano and 1st ?

Between those and the unmentioned third choice of Murray, Milano, and the 1st, I'd take option 1 (Duchene) followed by option 3 (Murray). I just don't have that kind of faith in TJ. I just worry that his floor is too low.

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
What would it take from the Sharks to get him? We desperately need a defenseman who has potential to become at the least a 4 (murray may already be one)

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
Probably part of a bigger deal involving Couture

Really? I can't see the Sharks doing that then unfortunately (not that I would want them to). I see Couture as a legit #1C and I honestly think he's the best forward on the Sharks rn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad