Ryan Murray - RFA - Decision time

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Is it just because it is playoff push time or is there enough real concern for whatever his injury is?

We literally know nothing about what is wrong and basically gone missing. They aren’t even saying if they think he’ll be back this season. This seems like it would have a big impact when it comes contract time.

It’s very odd. The last time I remember an extremely weird ambiguity involving a CBJ injury was the Horton back situation. Hopefully this is not anything like that.

ETA: Actually I think Boone had a weird/“kept under wraps” injury near the start of last season IIRC, and he ultimately turned out fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is it just because it is playoff push time or is there enough real concern for whatever his injury is?

We literally know nothing about what is wrong and basically gone missing. They aren’t even saying if they think he’ll be back this season. This seems like it would have a big impact when it comes contract time.

It’s very odd. The last time I remember an extremely weird ambiguity involving a CBJ injury was the Horton back situation. Hopefully this is not anything like that.

ETA: Actually I think Boone had a weird/“kept under wraps” injury near the start of last season IIRC, and he ultimately turned out fine.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a similar amount of secrecy/ lack of info the last time Murray was out for a long stretch - the whole middle of last season. It could be that no one, Murray included, knows how long it will take.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I can’t remember wher I saw it. It might have been a chat on the Athletic. But I think it was portzline that said it is not a concussion and he hasn’t heard any rumblings about broken bones.

I think my bigger fear may be that it is related to his back injury last season. If so, we might be getting into Horton territory. This could be why there is the extra level of secrecy.

Reactions: Robert and aRussian

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I saw him and chatted with him the other day, so I can confirm that he is not missing!

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I originally wanted a deal of 5x5 but given the FACT that he is injury prone he should be getting 3.5-4 mill a year. Not worth shelling out money on if you only have him 50-60 games.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I originally wanted a deal of 5x5 but given the FACT that he is injury prone he should be getting 3.5-4 mill a year. Not worth shelling out money on if you only have him 50-60 games.
50-60 game of murray are worth more than 82 of wennberg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This prolonged absence and corresponding silence as to his condition is worrisome. I was a proponent of signing him long term. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe a one year arbitration deal is the best both sides can hope for.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This prolonged absence and corresponding silence as to his condition is worrisome. I was a proponent of signing him long term. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe a one year arbitration deal is the best both sides can hope for.

Murray would love that. Takes him right to UFA. Jackets decision time is right now. Commit or don't. It's their last chance to control the situation.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
How are we going to get these young D to sign (Peeke) or come over (Gavrikov) if we have Jones, Murray, Werenski, Savaard, Nutivaara all locked up for the next several years?

Trade one of them. It's not like the CBJ are loaded with draft picks.

Come on........you can make it harder than that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Murray would love that. Takes him right to UFA. Jackets decision time is right now. Commit or don't. It's their last chance to control the situation.

I agree with nanabijou. It depends on the issue. If it is a back issue then there is no way they should go long term. Then there are only two options: the one year let's see what happens deal or they don't qualify him and he's a UFA now. I think he's worth the risk of a 1 year deal and if things look good extend him before free agency.

If it is not a back issue he's worth a longer term but I'm not sure he's an 8 year term guy.

As with most things Jackets it isn't an easy decision.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Hey habs fan here, any word on him returning to the lineup? I want to see Columbus at full potential

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hey habs fan here, any word on him returning to the lineup? I want to see Columbus at full potential

According to Portzline he’s been feeling better in recent days and has resumed skating. It’s a back injury so who knows if he’ll play.

Reactions: Theodore450

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I have concerns whether Murray could come back after this long off and play at the pace
needed to succeed in the playoffs.....assuming he is remotely close to coming back....which I also doubt

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Murray showed his value this season. Frankly he makes a stronger top pairing with Jones than does Werenski. But.....(yes all too often a but)....

His recent back injury has to be a concern and it complicates the next contract negotiation. He's clearly one of our top 3, but only when on the ice. And his availability becomes more dicey with the nature of his injury (the second back problem). Only a bridge deal makes sense to me.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Given his injuries I can't give him his huge contract. I'd give him a 4 year deal max. He's a great, valuable player and arguably our best defenseman during the regular season. But he isn't to be trusted with his injuries, and we have a kid like Gavrikov who (reportedly) plays a similar game. We should keep him, as his value is highest with us than elsewhere, but we can't invest too long term into him.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Here's one opinion about what should happen

What Can Ryan Murray Expect In His Next Contract After A Productive Season Was (Again) Cut Short By Injury?

Can't say I can argue with the conclusion. Still a lot depends on what the injury was and the likelihood of it recurring.

The insurance coverage on a Murray contract will probably be a big factor in determining what the club will offer him.

If there's one thing this front office should be proficient in by now is player contract insurance coverage:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad