Ryan Murray - RFA - Decision time

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Trade him while he is healthy and playing well. Get maximum value for him. How are we going to get these young D to sign (Peeke) or come over (Gavrikov) if we have Jones, Murray, Werenski, Savaard, Nutivaara all locked up for the next several years?
Gavrikov will have the chance to slide is as the #6 next year. Savard only has 2 years left on his deal. The expansion draft is likely to take one of our other D-men and Peeke will surely spend time in the AHL adjusting to the pro game. I don't think there is any concern with how they fit and when. IF they are ready, they'll play and CBJ will make a spot for them.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm glad nobody here actually manages the team's cap space. he is making 2.8 now. I'd go no higher than 4.5 for 3-4 years to buy into some UFA time since he is 25 now.

He's good and key part of the team but let's all realize Seth Jones is only making 5.4
The market has continued to grow so a comparison to Seth isn't realistic at this point. Murray has been very good and, to me, shown he's a top 3 type guy. He'll likely sign for 5-6 years (leading him to his last big contract) in the range of $5M AAV

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't get everyones affection to Peeke. He looks OK, certainly not as bad as Ryan Collins, but nothing special either. Regardless, he will likely need AHL seasoning for at least a period of time. Nutivaara is a fine player but he's not anything to write home about. Savard can be replaced too. Gavrikov will come in and immediately supplant Scott Harrington, and thus can push for more ice time. If he pushes Nutivaara or Savard or anyone else down, then we can assess our strengths moving forward and take it from there. But until Gavrikov/Peeke/whoever comes in and starts pushing people out, then there's no reason to make room for them.
Peeke is a 6'3" RD that can skate very well and play both ends of the ice. He's a captain, as a Jr., on a very good Notre Dame team. He has shown growth every year and his potential is quite high. That's why I'm high on him anyway. I agree with your overall sentiment here (I'm a little more bullish on Nuti and not a Savard fan). CBJ has piece to fill 4-6 for a long time (Gabe is still thought of well in the organization). Given a top 3 of Jones, Z and Murray, I like that position.

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
I'm a compromiser, 4 - 6 years at $4 - $5.5 Million per season :)
3 - 4 years at around $4 sounds about right. He'd be making about 75% what Seth makes. Without the injury history his value would have been higher.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Somewhere under Jones' AAV, but pay the man. He's earned it. And he's not going to lose value any time soon. Keep the AAV under where Jones is at and it's all good.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
3 - 4 years at around $4 sounds about right. He'd be making about 75% what Seth makes. Without the injury history his value would have been higher.
I think it will be between $4.5-$5.0M with term being the bigger negotiation point.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
anything over 4.25 is too much

I think 4 mill sounds fair taking into account his career, not just this year

He should be paid for what is expected of him not what he has or hasn't done. I would expect that he will continue to improve and be a solid 2/3 guy with limited offensive impact. I think he'll win up 5 - 5.5,

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Not sure if this is the right spot for a trade proposal or not, but would you guys consider trading a combination of prospects and young roster players for Ryan Murray? Something like a package of Tyson Jost, Connor Timmins, a 2019 Avs second and a top 3 protected 2020 first for Murray?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not sure if this is the right spot for a trade proposal or not, but would you guys consider trading a combination of prospects and young roster players for Ryan Murray? Something like a package of Tyson Jost, Connor Timmins, a 2019 Avs second and a top 3 protected 2020 first for Murray?
Look at our record with Murray in the lineup. Contrast it with our record without Murray in the lineup. Then you will have your answer. :)

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Look at our record with Murray in the lineup. Contrast it with our record without Murray in the lineup. Then you will have your answer. :)

Would you be able to guide me in the right direction? My google search was far from helpful haha.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Long story short, Murray is pretty much the glue that holds our D together. Even though he goes through his yearly injuries, he's far to valuable to trade away right now.

Thanks for saving me the research haha. So does Werenski become the odd man out between the three of them?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
He should have some ammo for negotiating a new deal given the team's record this year w/o him in the lineup. He's due for a decent raise with decent term.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He should have some ammo for negotiating a new deal given the team's record this year w/o him in the lineup. He's due for a decent raise with decent term.

On the other hand, his repeated time out of the lineup isn't going to help him get a long term contract.

I bet he'd have a big long term deal nailed down by now if not for the injury problems. I don't think the club is wary about the raise, but the term could be an issue.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Is it just because it is playoff push time or is there enough real concern for whatever his injury is?

We literally know nothing about what is wrong and basically gone missing. They aren’t even saying if they think he’ll be back this season. This seems like it would have a big impact when it comes contract time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad