Ryan Murray - RFA - Decision time

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
Since this season could be over soon (trades/no trades). Lets look ahead. Ryan is a good, not great player. Dependable when he plays. Bad injury history. RFA at the end of the year. Whats your thoughts?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
5-7 year deal. Around 5-6 mill per.

2-4 years Boone Jenner money ($3.75m AAV)

Here we have examples of both the "He's proven his worth, Get It Done" offer and the "He looks good but I still have reservations given his history" offer. Both are rationally justifiable IMO.

Frankly, I don't really care one way or the other so long as he stays in union blue for the next couple years or so.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here we have examples of both the "He's proven his worth, Get It Done" offer and the "He looks good but I still have reservations given his history" offer. Both are rationally justifiable IMO.

Frankly, I don't really care one way or the other so long as he stays in union blue for the next couple years or so.

I have reservations on his injury history too. But if you sign him to another short term contract you give Murray all the power on next contract. His play has been good enough to warrant a payday, especially after playing on his QO, and signing him to a short term deal means he has high potential to walk afterward. He, Jones, and Werenski are our key cogs for the future and he deserves to be paid accordingly. He has become so much more important with Nutivaara's stagnant play and Carlsson increasingly busting.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd try to get him for as long as possible for as little as possible. I'd go 6 to 7 years for hopefully around 5.5 mm with a top of 6. To me he has proven his worth this year and has apparently shaken the injury prone label.

Reactions: Cowumbus

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Anything but a 2-year deal

He's proven he can be a great 2/3 when healthy, and I think he has more room to grow, too. My guess is 5-years 22.5M (4.5 AAV). He's not going to get paid more than Jones.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm glad nobody here actually manages the team's cap space. he is making 2.8 now. I'd go no higher than 4.5 for 3-4 years to buy into some UFA time since he is 25 now.

He's good and key part of the team but let's all realize Seth Jones is only making 5.4

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm glad nobody here actually manages the team's cap space. he is making 2.8 now. I'd go no higher than 4.5 for 3-4 years to buy into some UFA time since he is 25 now.

He's good and key part of the team but let's all realize Seth Jones is only making 5.4

I think he'll land around $4.5-$5m personally, similar to Ryan McDonagh's last deal.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think he'll land around $4.5-$5m personally, similar to Ryan McDonagh's last deal.
That seems feasible. McDonagh's deal was 6 years at 4.7 that started when he was 24 if my math is right. He's going into his next deal as a 30 year old next season for 7 years at 6.75.

I think that's why I'd lean towards giving him 4 years since he's a bit older. Murray will be 26 on opening night next season. a 4 year deal will expire when he is 30 and can cash in if he's earned it. I know we have a real steal with Seth's deal but Murray is close to surpassing his career high in points but it's hard to put him much more than Savard's 4.25 when it comes down career contribution to this point.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
That seems feasible. McDonagh's deal was 6 years at 4.7 that started when he was 24 if my math is right. He's going into his next deal as a 30 year old next season for 7 years at 6.75.

I think that's why I'd lean towards giving him 4 years since he's a bit older. Murray will be 26 on opening night next season. a 4 year deal will expire when he is 30 and can cash in if he's earned it. I know we have a real steal with Seth's deal but Murray is close to surpassing his career high in points but it's hard to put him much more than Savard's 4.25 when it comes down career contribution to this point.
The conundrum - pay for past performance or pay for future upside....You aren't wrong. I just see Murray with so much more upside than Savard. And I like Savard - just that Savard now is as good as Savard is ever going to be. If it cost more than $4.25 to keep Murray for longer term, I'd do it. Not sure where the line is...probably $5.25M or so, given the increase in cap, etc....
It isn't just that Murray has earned it (or not earned it) - I just see this season as the beginning of his best years, and I'd like to see CBJ get the benefit of his best years.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Anything but a 2-year deal

He's proven he can be a great 2/3 when healthy, and I think he has more room to grow, too. My guess is 5-years 22.5M (4.5 AAV). He's not going to get paid more than Jones.

People, get a grip. Jones' deal was signed what 3 years ago? (He's in the 3rd year now). Cap has risen and will rise again. Murray might get more than Jones and if Jarmo has a clue, Werenski will for sure. In two years Jones will jump them both and probably by a significant amount.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Trade him while he is healthy and playing well. Get maximum value for him. How are we going to get these young D to sign (Peeke) or come over (Gavrikov) if we have Jones, Murray, Werenski, Savaard, Nutivaara all locked up for the next several years?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Trade him while he is healthy and playing well. Get maximum value for him. How are we going to get these young D to sign (Peeke) or come over (Gavrikov) if we have Jones, Murray, Werenski, Savaard, Nutivaara all locked up for the next several years?

I don't get everyones affection to Peeke. He looks OK, certainly not as bad as Ryan Collins, but nothing special either. Regardless, he will likely need AHL seasoning for at least a period of time. Nutivaara is a fine player but he's not anything to write home about. Savard can be replaced too. Gavrikov will come in and immediately supplant Scott Harrington, and thus can push for more ice time. If he pushes Nutivaara or Savard or anyone else down, then we can assess our strengths moving forward and take it from there. But until Gavrikov/Peeke/whoever comes in and starts pushing people out, then there's no reason to make room for them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
People, get a grip. Jones' deal was signed what 3 years ago? (He's in the 3rd year now). Cap has risen and will rise again. Murray might get more than Jones and if Jarmo has a clue, Werenski will for sure. In two years Jones will jump them both and probably by a significant amount.

And yet we complain that we don't have enough high quality forwards on this team and we still have to manage to the cap. Don't forget a possible work stoppage coming again in a couple of years if they can't avoid it. It seems to me previous work stoppages occurred because teams can't control their spending and let salaries get out of control and then the labor stoppage comes into play to wrangle in what they did a poor job managing in the first place.

Either way, it doesn't sound like we are all that far off in value but keep in mind this team and Jarmo are tight-a$$es when it comes to throwing money around to players. This is a team that essentially lost Ian Cole to the Avalanche over a reported 250k. (How much does that hurt this season with how the team has played defensively) Paying him 5 a season puts him in the top 50 defensemen in cap hit in the entire league right now. There are 186 starting defensemen in the league right now. Some of which are still on entry level deals and underpaid. Is Murray a top 50 defenseman in the league right now? I don't know. He's certainly quality but he's a 2nd pair D behind Werenski and Jones on this team.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Why do people think Gaveikov is coming? Deep D, no other Russians. Why not force a trade to a place with more Russians or stay in the KHL?

The problem with college kids is they sometimes stay in college and then become free agents. A deep group of defensemen makes that more likely with Peeke.

If we are going to trade Bob and Panarin, then we ought to trade other people who might be at the top of their game, like Murray. I believe in buying high and selling low.

I like Murray. Healthy Murray helps the team. But I think we all recognize that he has a decent chance of underperforming his next contract.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Why do people think Gaveikov is coming? Deep D, no other Russians. Why not force a trade to a place with more Russians or stay in the KHL?

The problem with college kids is they sometimes stay in college and then become free agents. A deep group of defensemen makes that more likely with Peeke.

Why do people think having Russians on the roster is the way to entice Russians to come to a team? Sure, it's probably nice to have fellow countrymen around. But is it necessary? No. Does Elvis Merzlikins not want to come over because we don't have any Latvian's on the roster? No. I bet Wennberg is struggling because we don't have another Swede on the roster.

Gavrikov has stated many times he intends to come over next year. Why would Panarin/Bob situations change that? A re-tool probably helps him get to the roster faster. He can try to force a trade or stay in the KHL, and thats his right, but the CBJ have no reason to cave into those demands. He stays in the KHL and the CBJ hold his rights until they don't want to anymore. If he wants to play in the NHL the path there is through the CBJ. His choice. We won't cry if he changes his mind.

Peeke may try UFA, but we've not heard any whispers of that happening. We heard lots of whispers with Mike Reilly, as did Chicago fans with Hayes, and many other situations. Could it happen? Sure, but until he declines an ELC, there's no reason to be concerned.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I say trade him. You say long deal in the 5/6 million dollar range. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I also think we should bring Milano up, get him some goals, and trade him while he is on the CBJ roster instead of the AHL.

Let’s maximize the return on our people, not sell low on talented players.

I also don’t want to overpay for free agents that are cancers in the locker room (Duchene) or bring on contracts that could look really bad in a couple of years (Quick).

I have seen those movies before.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why do people think having Russians on the roster is the way to entice Russians to come to a team? Sure, it's probably nice to have fellow countrymen around. But is it necessary? No. Does Elvis Merzlikins not want to come over because we don't have any Latvian's on the roster? No. I bet Wennberg is struggling because we don't have another Swede on the roster.

Gavrikov has stated many times he intends to come over next year. Why would Panarin/Bob situations change that? A re-tool probably helps him get to the roster faster. He can try to force a trade or stay in the KHL, and thats his right, but the CBJ have no reason to cave into those demands. He stays in the KHL and the CBJ hold his rights until they don't want to anymore. If he wants to play in the NHL the path there is through the CBJ. His choice. We won't cry if he changes his mind.

Peeke may try UFA, but we've not heard any whispers of that happening. We heard lots of whispers with Mike Reilly, as did Chicago fans with Hayes, and many other situations. Could it happen? Sure, but until he declines an ELC, there's no reason to be concerned.

To be fair, Wennberg has played like poo poo ever since his BFF Wild Bill left town.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad