Ryan Murphy called up?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Victor Rask appears to be having a great season. If we were doing an emergency call up from juniors to replace Skinner I can't see why it wouldn't be him. Something else has to be brewing here.

You can only call up a player from juniors if you have a lot of injuries and don't have the time or the players to call up from the ahl. We wouldn't be allowed to call up Rask.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
I'm not sure of the exact timeline of events, but clearly Welsh and Nash didn't come up to replace a defensemen.

And that completes my point... Skinner to IR could make sense since we have plenty of forwards up... No more forwards that we can bring up, so we bring up another D since we are short there too

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I'm not sure of the exact timeline of events, but clearly Welsh and Nash didn't come up to replace a defensemen.

What Hurricane Anton is saying is that we needed roster spots to be able to call up Nash and Welsh. Placing Gleason and Pitkanen on IR allowed for those two roster spots to be available to be filled by the Checkers players. If we want to call up another player for the defense (Murphy), Skinner's injured and can be placed on IR to open up a roster spot.

It doesn't matter what positions these guys play, it's the roster spots that matter.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
So what are we looking at now?

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
LaRose-Staal-Dwyer
Bowman-Jokinen-Wallace
Welsh-Nash-Nodl

Harrison-Faulk
McBain-Corvo
Jordan/Sanguinetti/Murphy

With Pitkanen being the first one to be back healthy?

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
So what are we looking at now?

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
LaRose-Staal-Dwyer
Bowman-Jokinen-Wallace
Welsh-Nash-Nodl

Harrison-Faulk
McBain-Corvo
Jordan/Sanguinetti/Murphy

With Pitkanen being the first one to be back healthy?

Yes, but I'm not sure which of Welsh or Nash will play center. Welsh ended up 7/8 on faceoffs against Montreal.

Mr America

Sep 19, 2010
www.hockeyfights.com
What Hurricane Anton is saying is that we needed roster spots to be able to call up Nash and Welsh. Placing Gleason and Pitkanen on IR allowed for those two roster spots to be available to be filled by the Checkers players. If we want to call up another player for the defense (Murphy), Skinner's injured and can be placed on IR to open up a roster spot.

It doesn't matter what positions these guys play, it's the roster spots that matter.

I understand that clearly, but those players weren't needed till Skinner and Brent were injurred.

The team still has enough warm bodies to fill a 20 man roster without Murphy.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
It's interesting having Murphy be the call up. Joni practiced today and it sounded like he would be good for tomorrow. So with him back that gives us 7-D, even if he doesn't come back we still have 6 healthy D. Doesn't make any sense unless one of Sangs or Jordan are going back to Charlotte since they are short bodies.

And ***** on Skinner. But we all knew it was a concussion anyway. Just sucks to have it confirmed. Hopefully it's not bad and they are just taking more precautions since it is his 2nd in a year.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I understand that clearly, but those players weren't needed till Skinner and Brent were injurred.

The team still has enough warm bodies to fill a 20 man roster without Murphy.

Oh, I missed your post back a page on the topic that Hurricane Anton was responding to. My bad.

Caniac1234

Jun 21, 2012
Raleigh,NC
It's interesting having Murphy be the call up. Joni practiced today and it sounded like he would be good for tomorrow. So with him back that gives us 7-D, even if he doesn't come back we still have 6 healthy D. Doesn't make any sense unless one of Sangs or Jordan are going back to Charlotte since they are short bodies.

And ***** on Skinner. But we all knew it was a concussion anyway. Just sucks to have it confirmed. Hopefully it's not bad and they are just taking more precautions since it is his 2nd in a year.

This,I hope its a trade.Could this be them giving murphy a couple showcase games for GM's around the league if canes really are interested in trading for a Dman?I just don't know why you would call up a guy from juniors when he can only play on emergency basis for a couple games (how many?),and ruutu really ****ed us this year for not getting his surgery done in the offseason,we could really use him right now.Our depth on forward is looking pretty damn weak right now.....:help:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Something's not right:

We have 22 players on our active roster: Tlusty, E. Staal, Semin, LaRose, J. Staal, Dwyer, Bowman, Jokinen, Nash, Wallace, Westgarth, Nodl, Welsh, Brent, Harrison, Faulk, McBain, Jordan, Sanguinetti, Corvo, Ward and Ellis.

Pitkanen and Gleason to IR.

Welsh and Nash up.

Skinner to IR.

Call Murphy, that makes 23, or the limit for our active roster.

Pitkanen off of IR, that makes 24.

So we're:

--Sending Sangs/Jordan down,
--Putting Brent on the IR
--Completing a trade.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The real key to debunk any trade talk is this: can a team that willfully put themselves in an "emergency" situation by trading players from their active roster still be eligible for an emergency recall from the CHL? I don't think that is an avenue that is being considered here. If emergencies can be self inflicted or not.

No real surprise on the Skinner front. I think we had a lot of people in denial here about the context clues that were saying concussion. He's going to have to learn to take hits better even if it costs him a bit of his creativity.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The real key to debunk any trade talk is this: can a team that willfully put themselves in an "emergency" situation by trading players from their active roster still be eligible for an emergency recall from the CHL? I don't think that is an avenue that is being considered here. If emergencies can be self inflicted or not.

No real surprise on the Skinner front. I think we had a lot of people in denial here about the context clues that were saying concussion. He's going to have to learn to take hits better even if it costs him a bit of his creativity.

If we completed a trade, then got news that Skinner had sustained a concussion, would that get through?

(Though it's looking less and less likely every passing minute that we have indeed completed a trade)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Yep, but I don't even think it has to come at the cost of creativity. In neither case was he doing anything overly creative on those plays. On the first hit, he just held onto the puck way too long and got plastered. On the 2nd hit (which is the one I think concussed him), rather than just send the puck back into the corner for a cycle, he tried to stop and turn and Bozak just kept skating and ran him into the boards. At that point in the game with the lead they had, it just wasn't a smart play.

And I think we can now officially question any time Muller says a guy isn't experiencing concussion symptoms.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I know I'm late with this, but these are my feelings right about now:

funny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window_large.gif

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Yep, but I don't even think it has to come at the cost of creativity. In neither case was he doing anything overly creative on those plays. On the first hit, he just held onto the puck way too long and got plastered. On the 2nd hit (which is the one I think concussed him), rather than just send the puck back into the corner for a cycle, he tried to stop and turn and Bozak just kept skating and ran him into the boards. At that point in the game with the lead they had, it just wasn't a smart play.

And I think we can now officially question any time Muller says a guy isn't experiencing concussion symptoms.

I suppose creativity was the wrong phrase there, or perhaps there are better descriptions for what I meant. I think the better choice of words would be knowing when a dead play is a dead play and learning to live to fight another shift. On that 2 on 1, he refused to admit that he had probably blown the play by refusing to make a decision and decided to stop on the trolley tracks with backcheckers coming back full bore to bury him. The second play, like you mentioned, he was holding on to the puck too long because he thought he could squeeze another chance out of a dead play instead of getting it deep and letting the forecheck go back to work. Skinner is a kid that loves to have the puck on his tape and there are times when you do that and make yourself a giant target. In both situations, he allowed himself to take hits that were otherwise not likely to happen.

FWIW, I think it was the first hit that concussed him. I felt at the time that he probably shouldn't have gotten back out there. The odd thing about concussions seems to be that the symptoms don't usually start to become apparent until the adrenaline starts to wear off unless you really get rendered unconscious.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I suppose creativity was the wrong phrase there, or perhaps there are better descriptions for what I meant. I think the better choice of words would be knowing when a dead play is a dead play and learning to live to fight another shift. On that 2 on 1, he refused to admit that he had probably blown the play by refusing to make a decision and decided to stop on the trolley tracks with backcheckers coming back full bore to bury him. The second play, like you mentioned, he was holding on to the puck too long because he thought he could squeeze another chance out of a dead play instead of getting it deep and letting the forecheck go back to work. Skinner is a kid that loves to have the puck on his tape and there are times when you do that and make yourself a giant target. In both situations, he allowed himself to take hits that were otherwise not likely to happen.

Yeah..I agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2