Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just as an aside, I was mainly spitballinf of the type of deal I would be expecting should TB include Johnson. We just saw a deal very similar to this:

To OTT:
Matt Duchene

To COL:
Andrew Hammond + Samuel Girard + Vladimir Kamenev + Shane Bowers + OTT 1st '18 + OTT 3rd '19 + NSH 2nd '18

To NSH:
Kyle Turris

So basically:

To TB:
Ryan McDonagh

To NYR:
Cal Foote + Brett Howden + TB 1st '18 + TB 2nd '18 (for the fact that Ottawa's 1st will be higher) + MON 1st '18 (for now let's say this is top-5 protected) + Alex Galchenyuk

To MON:
Tyle Johnson

Are Foote and Howden better or worse than Giradi and Bowers? I'd say maybe slightly worse, but not by much. Galchenyuk has been on the block for a while. Lot's of moving pieces

I like what Colorado got back for Duchene better and McDonagh's a better player than Duchene is. Just saying. I like Girard better than Foote. That Ottawa 1st in 18 (unless it's conditional) puts you in the top 5. If it is conditional it's probably a 1st next year which very easily could again be a top 5 pick. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery but I can't really say I'm a big fan of Galchenyuk's.

Another issue is what if Montreal doesn't bite on Johnson? It's not enough and if we're throwing in 50% of Ryan's cap hit besides Tampa would need to pony up more. This isn't about making it easy for them. They're figuring on winning a Cup with our player.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I like what Colorado got back for Duchene better and McDonagh's a better player than Duchene is. Just saying. I like Girard better than Foote. That Ottawa 1st in 18 (unless it's conditional) puts you in the top 5. If it is conditional it's probably a 1st next year which very easily could again be a top 5 pick. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery but I can't really say I'm a big fan of Galchenyuk's.

The 2018 1st that Colorado got from Ottawa is top 10 protected. Given that Ottawa isn't likely to finish higher than 6th, their pick will almost certainly be top 10, which means Colorado will get their 2019 1st round pick instead.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The 2018 1st that Colorado got from Ottawa is top 10 protected. Given that Ottawa isn't likely to finish higher than 6th, their pick will almost certainly be top 10, which means Colorado will get their 2019 1st round pick instead.

I thought so. I think it's still very likely that's a top 5 next year though. It's a bit more waiting but IMO the package Colorado gets is better than the the proposed Tampa deal and IMO Ryan McDonagh is a better player than Duchene.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Has anyone seen that the Panthers are coming HARD for McD? I'll try and find where I read that, but it was reputable. Doesn't surprise me in the least.
Caught a Tallon interview in which he stated, he would be looking to make deals to improve their chances........but moves for now AND for the future. Nothing short term.
McD would fit that bill and they have tons of good looking talent. They have drafted well and often.
They would be my guess as frontrunners, along with Longshot of Toronto.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Has anyone seen that the Panthers are coming HARD for McD? I'll try and find where I read that, but it was reputable. Doesn't surprise me in the least.
Caught a Tallon interview in which he stated, he would be looking to make deals to improve their chances........but moves for now AND for the future. Nothing short term.
McD would fit that bill and they have tons of good looking talent. They have drafted well and often.
They would be my guess as frontrunners, along with Longshot of Toronto.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Is it only protected in 2018?

I'd laugh if Sens give up a top-3 pick next year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is it only protected in 2018?

I'd laugh if Sens give up a top-3 pick next year.

So this makes me wonder, if a team is in full rebuild mode and has a top 10 protected pick for a year and they pick 10th, given the equal strength of drafts would they ever not protect it if they're anticipating a worse team the following year? Or is it awful PR?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So this makes me wonder, if a team is in full rebuild mode and has a top 10 protected pick for a year and they pick 10th, given the equal strength of drafts would they ever not protect it if they're anticipating a worse team the following year? Or is it awful PR?

Seriously doubt they would ever not protect. Even rebuilding teams go into a season with some hope.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
whats the status on his injury anyway? we just shutting him down until the TD?
It has been so hush hush, that it really has gotten me into thinking, they simply aren't going to allow him to play .......until.
Until, may never come.....then I guess so be it. Play him? Risk him getting re-injuring (as we don't even know WHAT his injury entails) McD has been around so long and his reputation is already what it is.......him playing a game or 2 wouldn't sway anything.......just thinking they are playing it really, really safe.
I would.

Also, maybe they are simply waiting the Nasher deal, to see how that turns out and which way to go moving forward with McD. And yeah, what if a Zuccha rip-off occurs? And we cash in big time? Do we still move forward with a move of re-signing our all-star receding and very expensive dman? Or do we go "all in"?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I mean, if we improve with all these deals in a "closer time of getting back to where we were......do we keep McD? We need some form of stability.......don't we?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
My God, we have ALL THE ACES HERE, and have every opportunity to recoup, rebuild and recant our "rebuild" into just an "on the fly, kind of thing" instead of actually rebuilding.
Does that make sense to anyone?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Watching Devils and Islanders.....yeah to see my man Grabs.
Zaccha and Palmieri his linemates.

Isnt it sacrilegious for a "devil" to be raised to the "heavens"?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Originally I was of the ilk in thinking that we def SHOULD trade McD, but upon further thinking.......we really probably shouldn't......unless a boatload was coming in regard to the strength of this year's draft. So you hold your hands in the air and say.....trade him now and get a 1st in this year's draft (and of course much more) or keep him for another season adding some stability while helping the kids along and getting a lesser 1st rounder next year (for the sake of argument).

Hank would probably absolutely freak if they trade him this year and he may be hung out to dry without him. I think Hank may have something to say about the possibility of this.

Could it really hurt "that much" to keep him another year until next deadline and pretty much expect almost the same return from another desperate team next year and keep Hanks sanity? And obviously be more competitive with him, while awaiting all the dust to settle?

Somehow, I just don't see Gorton having the balls to do this and screwing Hank. Hank wants to stay (and I admire that) but what actually is best for the organization would be for him to move on and waive his NTC. We have Gorgiev and Shesty in the wings. If need be keep Pavelec or just get another warm body, but save the 8.5. and get additional offense.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think there is a reason we are stockpiling so many Dmen prospects. McD is likely getting traded ether now or later. They also probably nervous about him getting a lot of injuries and concussions and rather get good value now than risk him retiring due to injuries.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Hank was getting shelled even with McD in the lineup. Makes no difference except for the possible veteran mentorship

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
McD is going. It's not a matter of if, so much as when.

The when might not be tomorrow. But I think the Rangers are pretty much set on the outcome.
Preferably tomorrow. I don't buy the idea that a team picking in the top 10 will deal the pick for 1 year of McD. A contender having him for 2 playoff runs would pony up more IMO.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Preferably tomorrow. I don't buy the idea that a team picking in the top 10 will deal the pick for 1 year of McD. A contender having him for 2 playoff runs would pony up more IMO.
Team I could see taking him at the draft who may have a top-10 and could very well be a contender next year is Chicago. I know their cap is a mess, but they are like the Pens in that cap space always seems to magically appear.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Any deal with TB for me has to start with Foote or Howden. If Little Stevie isn't intent on including both, then they he needs to make it up from there.

Foote, Raddyish, 2018 First, 2019 2nd

Howden, Raddyish, 2018 First, 2019 First

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Any deal with TB for me has to start with Foote or Howden. If Little Stevie isn't intent on including both, then they he needs to make it up from there.

Foote, Raddyish, 2018 First, 2019 2nd

Howden, Raddyish, 2018 First, 2019 First
IMO, Foote is a must have if not Sergachev. Either Serg + or Foote ++ if TB if the team.

Reactions: Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
IMO, Foote is a must have if not Sergachev. Either Serg + or Foote ++ if TB if the team.

I am going with assumption Sergachev is out.

I just don't see him or Marner or Nylander being on any table. I really don't. Not today, and not in June.

With that said, my ideal package is Foote and Howden with a first. But I am not willing to walk away over Foote. I happen to really like Howden --- and the more I see of him, the more I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad