Ryan McDonagh vs Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Pick One

• Total voters

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Oel would look way better on a better team. I'd take Oel. He's also younger.

I don't ever recall OEL looking great on team Sweden outside of WC. Whether it's the Olympics or World Cup if im not mistaken he was given very limited minutes and not much PP time either.

Granted, that's not exactly relevant when it comes to the NHL but going from a bad team to good team isn't always so simple. Those bad habits you create in a losing environment don't just go away.

I personally don't think he'd be a dominant #1 dman on a good team. He's got the offensive tools and skating but being the guy on a team that expects to win every night is much more than that.

McDonagh has done it and for me i'd feel more comfortable with him playing 25 minutes a night than OEL.

Now im not saying McDonagh is in a completely different tier, but i think in the mental side of things he has the edge and that's pretty important. It would be interesting to see OEL in a new environment though, but he's got a lot to work on defensively and decision making under pressure in key moments of the game in particular.

TL;DR McDonagh could jump in and get the job done right now. OEL would in my opinion need some time to adjust and learn how to play more simple and get used to the standard of winning games night in night out. If you send McDonagh to Tampa and OEL to Washington, OEL might have a couple peak years in the future, but that's not guaranteed. I would go with the safe pick in McD.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
thats odd guys never made the playoffs yet the other guy is a vet and you know how he plays in the playoffs. scoring isn't everything got to keep the puck out your net too..

OEL has played 16 playoff games, in the Yotes run the WCF back in 2012. yes that is 80 less than McDonagh but is it his fault he's been on the leagues worst team basically his entire career? Congrats to McDonagh for starting his career on a playoff contender.

Their Norris records are fairly close, with OEL having higher finishes.

And hey, go look up any top defenseman list outside of HFB. OEL is typically ranked higher than McDonagh.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This one is McDonagh. I know it pains Ranger haters and fans of teams who would like to get him, but don't like the price.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mcdonagh for me easily. Just reading this thread you can see how underated he is. Incredible two way player, OEL has played very poorly. Bad team or not elite players dont consistently look the way he does. I am not saying he isnt a talented defended and a change of scenery would help but Mcdonagh has been one of the best defenders in the NHL for years and has proven it.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
McDonagh would be the perfect fit to replace Chara after he retire. Strong defensively, good on the PK and still contributes on the score-sheet.

Would be a better fit on the Bruins, who already have Krug for the powerplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad