Ryan McDonagh vs Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Pick One

• Total voters

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ekman-Larsson is overrated. McDonagh easily here unless you just really really need offense

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
OEL hasn't played well the last two years but I think he's just checked out while stuck in that situation. I think he was a little overrated defensively but he's still capable if playing against top lines and his offensive skill is much higher than McDonagh's. He had 55 points in 75 games to lead a team who's best forwards were Max Domi, Martin Hanzal and an old Shane Doan. There's no reason he can't be a Josi/Klingberg type in a better situation. I'd take that over McDonagh who is great but doesn't quite have the same impact

Reactions: CHIRAQREPDAT

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
OEL hasn't played well the last two years but I think he's just checked out while stuck in that situation. I think he was a little overrated defensively but he's still capable if playing against top lines and his offensive skill is much higher than McDonagh's. He had 55 points in 75 games to lead a team who's best forwards were Max Domi, Martin Hanzal and an old Shane Doan. There's no reason he can't be a Josi/Klingberg type in a better situation. I'd take that over McDonagh who is great but doesn't quite have the same impact

I agree with all of this.

People like to talk about how Ekman-Larsson is on a bad team, but it’s up to him to make it a better team and he hasn’t done that.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I voted OEL, just a better fit next to Weber.

If we still had Subban, I’d have picked McDonagh.. imagine we had both :facepalm:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
McDonagh.

OEL hasn’t been very good any time I’ve watched him over the past few years. I see the points, but I also see an often weak defender.

McD isn’t a puck mover or transporter, but I put a lot of value in a guy whose elite defending his own zone.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Just goes to show you what you are dealing with on this board. OEL is almost beating McDonagh. Clueless.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Biased but I’d rather have McD. Rangers don’t need offensive dmen. Rangers need McD right now, our defense has been scary without him. We had a good two game stretch where we played defensively and everyone was talking about how we don’t need McD, lol. Also prime McD>OEL. OEL will be better soon though, McD has dealt with a lot of injuries and it shows, his body is breaking down and his speed has taken a hit due to injuries/putting on a lot of weight (not fat) right now it’s him though. It’s also not like McD is trash at offense either
Both are playing on terrible teams and idk how the Yotes injury situation is but for the Rangers we’ve had a shit ton of injuries this year
McD- 26 points in 49 games
OEL- 29 in 49 games
Rangers score 2.8 goals/game and Yotes score 2.4 goals/game
I can’t remember who OEL plays with either but McD plays with Nick f***ing Holden. Before Nick Holden? Girardi’s corpse who did not fit in AV’s system (see improved Girardi in Tampa)
I’m not saying McD is better than OEL offensively, if OEL was on this team any year but this season he’d be around a 55-60 point guy. What I am saying is that McD isn’t a purely defensive guys But I don’t think OEL could play with Girardi/Holden like McD can, if McD was allowed to let loose offensively his numbers could be better, he’s good on transition and makes smart plays. He’s terrible on the PP though. OEL is better offensively, McD is much better defensively, OEL has declined a bit more though. I’m confident OEL will improve his numbers quite a bit when/if ever the Yotes get better though.
In conclusion,
Offense
OEL>>McD
Defense
OEL<<<McD
They would make a great pair together though

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For me it's OEL for his dynamic, modern age style of game. Think he's been underrated and underutilized his entire career. Only red flag is he may have peaked and he hasn't been exactly the same since some unfortunate personal circumstances.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I feel more comfortable having McDonagh out there 25 minutes a night in the playoffs

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think McD is better. But, man I am curious to see what OEL would be like on a good team. Is he really a 2nd pairing guy mostly offense guy like Yandle was? Is he still a 1st pairing guy that can explode in points with better pieces around him? No idea.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
MCD is overrated. OEL hasn't been playing at the level he used to, but I would take the chance that it is because he has been on a losing team for so long, and picking him up for mine would reinvigorate him.

Reactions: Voight

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think the yotes are worse because they have oel as their number 1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad