Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh: Jaw contusion and neck spasm, but NO 2nd concussion

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Caps fan here and this reminds of a hit Nick Backstrom got from Rene Bourque a couple of years ago. Obviously Bourque has a history but to me that's not as significant. If the NHL is serious about removing the senseless headshots, this is the poster child for it. There are enough consussions from "hockey plays", which this wasn't. 3 games seems too little for this senseless hit.

What also fries me is the NHLPA defending players for hits like this, under the guise of protecting the players. How about the guy who took the shot and suffered from it? Does the NHLPA have no duty to protect him?

totally agreed with you on all points man. It's sickening

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
I am very unhappy with the situation
In many Ways
Many have them have been brought up here so no use in repeating them
But I am also not so sure that McD suffered a concussion on the play - after looking at it a bunch Of Times
Point Of contact seems to be the Nose (he was bleeding from there quite a bit) which is meaning he got hit pretty square on
Getting a concussion by an elbow there is possible, yes, but maybe not as common as when you get hit elsewhere on the head and/or from different angles that create a head snap scenario
I have certain knowledge of this myself
I hope that he is OK or as second choice has a broken nose
Better in every way
Both (mostly) for his sake and the teams
Time will tell soon enough
Hoping for the best

Good call BBK

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
ever tried to play hockey with neck spasms? i play non check and i found it basically impossible to play..not sure how a pro could do it...you cant turn your head without it hurting like a mofo. how can you see the ice? how can you take a hit/protect yourself...how can you go to the net and look for a shot? neck and rib injuries are really really hard to play through.

I would imagine it's really painful, but I would also think the Rangers medical staff have access to some really good drugs. Glad to hear it's not a concussion though - even if he has to sit for a couple of games.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I would imagine it's really painful, but I would also think the Rangers medical staff have access to some really good drugs. Glad to hear it's not a concussion though - even if he has to sit for a couple of games.

Personally I am somewhat skeptical of all NHL team issued medical reports . I hope he is OK and takes his time coming back . There is life besides hockey .

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Neck spasms are not a good thing. Spasms don't just happen. They are normally caused by disc issues. Those can be something that stays with you and lingers

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I am somewhat skeptical of all NHL team issued medical reports . I hope he is OK and takes his time coming back . There is life besides hockey .

It's kind of good news--though Crosby had his neck issue that turned out to really be a concussion. Anyway I would hold him out of the lineup for a week--maybe two. I'd rather he take his time and put these issues behind him. There's no reason to rush him.

Poozer

Jun 25, 2008
New York
Neck spasms are not a good thing. Spasms don't just happen. They are normally caused by disc issues. Those can be something that stays with you and lingers

That is medically incorrect, spasms are not due to disc problems, far more likely that it is due to a muscular injury secondary to the trauma of the hit.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Neck spasms, not good. Hopefully it's not something that lingers for a while was there any timeline out out there? Every games important but I think we should give him more than enough time to get right were gona need him to play alof of minutes down the stretch and in the PO's

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Dude...they held up a Ranger jersey and asked what color it is. He got it right on only his third try. ;p

I agree with you that I don't have great faith in the medical reporting, but I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The New York Rangers team medical staff/doctors are some of the best in the industry. You should feel confident on their assessment of McDonagh.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The New York Rangers team medical staff/doctors are some of the best in the industry. You should feel confident on their assessment of McDonagh.

Yup! And maybe we should all not jump to conclusions assuming that it was another concussion. Just like all the medical expert flyer fans who said mcdonagh was faking.
This is awesome news!!!!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Neck spasms, not good. Hopefully it's not something that lingers for a while was there any timeline out out there? Every games important but I think we should give him more than enough time to get right were gona need him to play alof of minutes down the stretch and in the PO's

Could be a blessing. Give him as much time off as he needs. This team should still be able to play strong team hockey to keep that second or third seed if mcdonagh needs 2-4 weeks off but I'm sure he will want to get back on the ice ASAP

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caps fan here and this reminds of a hit Nick Backstrom got from Rene Bourque a couple of years ago. Obviously Bourque has a history but to me that's not as significant. If the NHL is serious about removing the senseless headshots, this is the poster child for it. There are enough consussions from "hockey plays", which this wasn't. 3 games seems too little for this senseless hit.

What also fries me is the NHLPA defending players for hits like this, under the guise of protecting the players. How about the guy who took the shot and suffered from it? Does the NHLPA have no duty to protect him?

Its a joke.

They give 20 games for Wideman hitting a ref, which surely deserves a long suspension, but I don't know how its 20 games for what Wideman did but if Komarov assaults McDonagh its only three games. I know they have rules, but these rules are seriously flawed. The NHL doesn't seem to care about the guys who make them money, and the NHLPA doesn't want to be politically incorrect, so they defend the players at fault, its an absolute joke. How about taking a stand and saying they will not side with a player who assaults another player?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good that McDonagh's okay. Hopefully this means we can still trade Yandle, as much as I want to keep him. We need to get something for him, since its very unlikely that we re-sign him.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Good that McDonagh's okay. Hopefully this means we can still trade Yandle, as much as I want to keep him. We need to get something for him, since its very unlikely that we re-sign him.

I don't necessarily know if a neck spasm is good, but better than back to back concussions.... I just hope this doesn't take a toll on McD's game in any way. He's had some many injuries the past two years it seems like.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That is medically incorrect, spasms are not due to disc problems, far more likely that it is due to a muscular injury secondary to the trauma of the hit.

What causes the muscles to spasm in the neck and back? More than likely disc issues. Men especially have issues around the ages that they play sports.

It effects everything. It will most likely subside in 3-4 days but after that exercises and stretches are required. The problem is that once you have done it once, it is easier to be done again.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't necessarily know if a neck spasm is good, but better than back to back concussions.... I just hope this doesn't take a toll on McD's game in any way. He's had some many injuries the past two years it seems like.

I was referring to it not being another concussion, but I agree, neck spasms can be bad. Didn't Nash get one towards the end of last season, which coincided with him not scoring goals anymore?

Although, Nash doesn't really score goals once the calendar turns to spring, regardless of injuries or not. :shakehead

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Neck spasms aren't good but it's better than another concussion. The team should give him all the time he needs.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It's kind of good news--though Crosby had his neck issue that turned out to really be a concussion. Anyway I would hold him out of the lineup for a week--maybe two. I'd rather he take his time and put these issues behind him. There's no reason to rush him.
Okay, this worries me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad