Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh: Jaw contusion and neck spasm, but NO 2nd concussion

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Well....I basically predicted this would happen....in case anyone wants to look back in this thread . Anyways...not much more to add to this sad turn of events other than to lay some blame on the club . He should have been kept out longer....

An enforcer would have made no difference...guys like LK play on the edge and will continue . Was still sad though watching Stepan and Lindberg do nothing and Klein had to come from 50 feet away with a broken thumb .

The NHL IMO should seriously look into making the ice surface international size . The guys are too fast and too big and speed of play is unreal .

The equipment has to change . You won't be a vegetable with a busted shoulder....or a broken elbow . It is time to fix that area . The padding should be something like it was back in the 70's . Does somebody have to actually die before this happens ????

Lastly...this kind of hit was even worse than Simmonds . It was a chicken wing....intentional . The NHL should have gave him at least 10 games....it is message sending time .

I think McDonagh should take the rest of the season off even if it is not deemed a concussion....his life and family is a whole lot more important than suffering the rest of his life with problems associated with these type of injuries of the brain .

What did you want Stepan or Lindberg to do? Komarov would ragdoll both of them. They are not in your face types. Stepan is like Sedin twins.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
I want to add some thing related to this issue.

How many players from the 50s, 60s, and 70s died early or severely suffered from the issues the guys in the late 80s and 90s are dying from or are getting sick?

I mean Derek Boogard is dead, and his late life was pretty terrible if you read the background, yet the majority of the Rangers 70s roster looks fine for their age. No one can honestly safe that wasn't an incredibly physical if not violent era for hockey.

Anyway, in the end, it's a sport. I respect the physical nature and determination in the sport. That's what indears me and many fans to the sport. The key word is respect. And these types of plays that we've seen are out of line.

There are a few reasons it is different now. That was before my time but players today are bigger and the game is faster. I also think there was more respect back then for other players. They also didn't have the instigator and players had to answer for their actions more. Look at last night after the hit. Not only did the linesman get between Klein and komarov and stop them for fighting, but Klein got an instigator, and there wasn't even a fight! Finally as someone else mentioned, perhaps the biggest difference is the equipment, and I know Messier has addressed this some, but getting hit with a hard elbow pad does a lot more damage than the softer leather.

As far as the suspension goes, I don't think it is enough. It isn't surprising but it won't do anything to stop these kinds of hits. 3 games is a vacation. If the NHL is serious about removing these types of hits then they need to get serious about the discipline. I think it should be five games minimum and up from there and get rid of this first time offender garbage. Hagelin was a first time offender and got 3 playoff games which is double regular season games. Komorav may be a first time offender but that doesn't mean much in today's NHL because this could have been at least his third incident.

http://deadspin.com/ryan-mcdonagh-suffers-another-head-injury-on-cheap-shot-1760065753

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
There are a few reasons it is different now. That was before my time but players today are bigger and the game is faster. I also think there was more respect back then for other players. They also didn't have the instigator and players had to answer for their actions more. Look at last night after the hit. Not only did the linesman get between Klein and komarov and stop them for fighting, but Klein got an instigator, and there wasn't even a fight! Finally as someone else mentioned, perhaps the biggest difference is the equipment, and I know Messier has addressed this some, but getting hit with a hard elbow pad does a lot more damage than the softer leather.

As far as the suspension goes, I don't think it is enough. It isn't surprising but it won't do anything to stop these kinds of hits. 3 games is a vacation. If the NHL is serious about removing these types of hits then they need to get serious about the discipline.

I agree with everything you said, and this is what I was trying to allude to.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I didn't say you weren't clever. I was implying that if I don't have a 3 line quip peer-reviewed before I posted it, I might get criticized for minutia. In fact, I have left Easter egg foot notes in white font every now in then just in case.

Anyway, I was just venting about the ruling. I not only felt it wasn't severe enough, but I also think it's a symptom of larger issues with the NHL. It wasn't a good analogy.

The issue is the same as it's been for years; The DoP is wildly inconsistent and players aren't being allowed to police themselves out there due to the increase of calling instigator or TMI/ not calling dangerous interferences and obstructions.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I am very unhappy with the situation
In many Ways
Many have them have been brought up here so no use in repeating them
But I am also not so sure that McD suffered a concussion on the play - after looking at it a bunch Of Times
Point Of contact seems to be the Nose (he was bleeding from there quite a bit) which is meaning he got hit pretty square on
Getting a concussion by an elbow there is possible, yes, but maybe not as common as when you get hit elsewhere on the head and/or from different angles that create a head snap scenario
I have certain knowledge of this myself
I hope that he is OK or as second choice has a broken nose
Better in every way
Both (mostly) for his sake and the teams
Time will tell soon enough
Hoping for the best

Leetch Fan

Oct 12, 2014
In many Ways
But I am also not so sure that McD suffered a concussion on the play - after looking at it a bunch Of Times
Point Of contact seems to be the Nose (he was bleeding from there quite a bit) which is meaning he got hit pretty square on
Getting a concussion by an elbow there is possible, yes, but maybe not as common as when you get hit elsewhere on the head and/or from different angles that create a head snap scenario
Better in every way
Hoping for the best
The fact that he's just barely back fom a confirmed concussion makes it pretty obvious he's still in the middle of it. I like you're optimism but ...

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
The fact that he's just barely back fom a confirmed concussion makes it pretty obvious he's still in the middle of it. I like you're optimism but ...

I am not really being optimistic. Just saying that the Komarov elbow may not have rendered another medical concussion. We shall see soon enough

BarbaraAlphanse

Wait... What? That is not how concussions work.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Caps fan here and this reminds of a hit Nick Backstrom got from Rene Bourque a couple of years ago. Obviously Bourque has a history but to me that's not as significant. If the NHL is serious about removing the senseless headshots, this is the poster child for it. There are enough consussions from "hockey plays", which this wasn't. 3 games seems too little for this senseless hit.

What also fries me is the NHLPA defending players for hits like this, under the guise of protecting the players. How about the guy who took the shot and suffered from it? Does the NHLPA have no duty to protect him?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
No one is afraid of a 30 sec grapple with Glass. The only way of protecting MCD from the constant abuse is to spill the offenders teeth onto the ice. The word will get around that that price of a MCD cheap shot is all day in the dentist chair and maxing out your NHLPA dental coverage for the year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In many Ways
Better in every way
Hoping for the best

I was discussing this with a buddy of mine yesterday and I remember them packing his nose--so it is very possible that's the only problem and that they took him out of the game just for precaution.

Vickers8

Well....I basically predicted this would happen....in case anyone wants to look back in this thread . Anyways...not much more to add to this sad turn of events other than to lay some blame on the club . He should have been kept out longer....

An enforcer would have made no difference...guys like LK play on the edge and will continue . Was still sad though watching Stepan and Lindberg do nothing and Klein had to come from 50 feet away with a broken thumb .

The NHL IMO should seriously look into making the ice surface international size . The guys are too fast and too big and speed of play is unreal .

The equipment has to change . You won't be a vegetable with a busted shoulder....or a broken elbow . It is time to fix that area . The padding should be something like it was back in the 70's . Does somebody have to actually die before this happens ????

Lastly...this kind of hit was even worse than Simmonds . It was a chicken wing....intentional . The NHL should have gave him at least 10 games....it is message sending time .

I think McDonagh should take the rest of the season off even if it is not deemed a concussion....his life and family is a whole lot more important than suffering the rest of his life with problems associated with these type of injuries of the brain .
Good post I agree, you stick up for your teammate, you don't skate, cross check him or jump him, kudos too KK, the rest of this team can take a lesson from him, he's a good teammate

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No one is afraid of a 30 sec grapple with Glass. The only way of protecting MCD from the constant abuse is to spill the offenders teeth onto the ice. The word will get around that that price of a MCD cheap shot is all day in the dentist chair and maxing out your NHLPA dental coverage for the year.

Not the only way. Case in point--Simmonds telling McIlrath that he'll choose the time and McIlrath telling Simmonds--that's fine, in the meantime I'll take some runs at some of your best players.

We're getting into the unwritten rule book and thinking or acting as if it doesn't exist--doesn't make it so. Komarov is not a fighter--but he likes to run at people. IMO Leaf players beside him should be targets of retribution--that doesn't mean go out and deliberately injure them but situationally looking to physically mismatch their better players shouldn't be out of the question.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I was discussing this with a buddy of mine yesterday and I remember them packing his nose--so it is very possible that's the only problem and that they took him out of the game just for precaution.

Which I'm perfectly ok with. Even if this isn't a concussion, I'd rather them rest him a tad, just to make absolutely sure that he's symptom free.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Good news!

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 4s5 seconds ago
Rangers say no concussion for Ryan McDonagh. Jaw contusion and neck spasm.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Good news!

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 4s5 seconds ago
Rangers say no concussion for Ryan McDonagh. Jaw contusion and neck spasm.

Great , they often say nothing till after a guys suspended . Komorov got 3 games then they say what's up

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Neck spasm? Didn't Nash have neck spasms last year? Didn't look very good afterwards.

ever tried to play hockey with neck spasms? i play non check and i found it basically impossible to play..not sure how a pro could do it...you cant turn your head without it hurting like a mofo. how can you see the ice? how can you take a hit/protect yourself...how can you go to the net and look for a shot? neck and rib injuries are really really hard to play through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad