Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I've been singing his praises for a while. I saw him a good bit in college and have always liked him.

Being sound defensively and playing a physical game, those are two things everyone knows about him. The other aspect that often goes unmentioned that I always try to highlight is that he makes smart plays to get the puck out of the zone. He's not DeAngelo where he's going to carry it out every time and try to make something happen, but he's really calm under pressure and knows how to get the puck to a guy in a better position when he's being pressed. He also excels and making crisp, accurate passes out of the zone. The one in the last game where he banked it off the wall perfectly to hit Kreider in stride is something you'll see a lot from him.

He's just a good all-around player. It's why I have always said he will have a good, long NHL career, even if it's not with us.
Love his physicality we need that really bad.

Reactions: belford22

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There should be rules with player comparisons:

a) cannot be compared to current or past Rangers

b) cannot be compared to players of same nationality unless Canadian

In my defense, Hertl and Chytil actually have a lot in common besides nationality.

Lindgren and McDonagh, though? Don't see it. A smaller Colin White is a more apt comparison.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I’ll just go with the default Hfnyr defensive comparison, Stralman.

Everyone is Stralman.
Lindgren and Strålman are nothing alike, Swedish surnames and blonde hair aside.

Fox is currently looking a lot like a more skilled version of Strålman in his prime though.

I get the joke, but I think Fox is legitimately similar.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I really really like Lindgren. I like him more (at least so far) than Hajek. He's a competitive asshole, skates well and never gives up on the play. Reminds me a little of Kasparaitis except he doesn't run around out of position looking for splashy hits nearly as much. He's worked well with Adam Fox in the past and I think that's who he belongs being paired with or at least for now. They have a chemistry. I don't think Lindgren is ever going to put up a lot of offense. He's mainly a stay at home almost always in position guy. You need some guys like that to keep your goalies happy. Even if he's not very big--he is combative. He's not the kind to stand around and let opponents crowd or knock your goaltender around. I was pleased when we traded for him.

I really don't want to throw Staal under the bus---he's been a good Rangers player but he's declined gradually since his head and eye injuries--age has something to do with it too. If we're choosing between him and Lindgren I'm choosing Lindgren every time.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really really like Lindgren. I like him more (at least so far) than Hajek. He's a competitive *******, skates well and never gives up on the play. Reminds me a little of Kasparaitis except he doesn't run around out of position looking for splashy hits nearly as much. He's worked well with Adam Fox in the past and I think that's who he belongs being paired with or at least for now. They have a chemistry. I don't think Lindgren is ever going to put up a lot of offense. He's mainly a stay at home almost always in position guy. You need some guys like that to keep your goalies happy. Even if he's not very big--he is combative. He's not the kind to stand around and let opponents crowd or knock your goaltender around. I was pleased when we traded for him.

I really don't want to throw Staal under the bus---he's been a good Rangers player but he's declined gradually since his head and eye injuries--age has something to do with it too. If we're choosing between him and Lindgren I'm choosing Lindgren every time.
My opinion coming out of camp was that Lindgren should have made it over Hajek. Lindgren is more polished. He also brings that edge and physicality that we lack.

Of course, both should have made it, but as we know, Staal. Like you, I won't shit on him, but it really is time. Also with Rykov potentially knocking on the door in a month or two.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
With all of the skill the team will hopefully be deploying on the back-end, a guy like Lindgren very likely could be the longest tenured guy of the bunch. Not because he is the best, but because what he provides more than likely won't cost an insane amount when his contracts come around due to his lack of offensive production. In saying that, he very likely could be a difference maker defensively for this organization.

Also, for the person who said he reminds them of all of the guys the Bruins develop, I agree. Had he not been traded, he would be another in a long line of guys who are physical, in your face, skate well and can move the puck to their forwards effectively. Good job regretting him by Gorton and his staff

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if i described this player like this

smart aware defender
tough as nails.
plays with some edge
great board battler
potential shutdown matchup defender
defense first no nonsense guy
strong leadership traits
on ice calmness and poise
makes smart simple plays
reliable and dependable.
coaches dream
excellent skater
strong slap shot
21 yrs old

wouldn't we want him on the 3rd pair ?

instead of a guy who's probably the complete opposite of all of those traits ??

Reactions: Leetch3

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
if i described this player like this

smart aware defender
tough as nails.
plays with some edge
great board battler
potential shutdown matchup defender
defense first no nonsense guy
strong leadership traits
on ice calmness and poise
makes smart simple plays
reliable and dependable.
coaches dream
excellent skater
strong slap shot
21 yrs old

wouldn't we want him on the 3rd pair ?

instead of a guy who's probably the complete opposite of all of those traits ??

I think the correct answer is we would want the best possible defenseman on the 3rd pair. Or any pair.

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really really like Lindgren. I like him more (at least so far) than Hajek. He's a competitive *******, skates well and never gives up on the play. Reminds me a little of Kasparaitis except he doesn't run around out of position looking for splashy hits nearly as much. He's worked well with Adam Fox in the past and I think that's who he belongs being paired with or at least for now. They have a chemistry. I don't think Lindgren is ever going to put up a lot of offense. He's mainly a stay at home almost always in position guy. You need some guys like that to keep your goalies happy. Even if he's not very big--he is combative. He's not the kind to stand around and let opponents crowd or knock your goaltender around. I was pleased when we traded for him.
Players like Lindgren are not flashy, but a big part of the defense. They can be quite the steadying influence. Not every one needs to be a flashy puck mover.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With all of the skill the team will hopefully be deploying on the back-end, a guy like Lindgren very likely could be the longest tenured guy of the bunch. Not because he is the best, but because what he provides more than likely won't cost an insane amount when his contracts come around due to his lack of offensive production. In saying that, he very likely could be a difference maker defensively for this organization.

Also, for the person who said he reminds them of all of the guys the Bruins develop, I agree. Had he not been traded, he would be another in a long line of guys who are physical, in your face, skate well and can move the puck to their forwards effectively. Good job regretting him by Gorton and his staff

I think Hajek has more upside but Lindgren plays a mature game already. He understands his abilities and works within those parameters. He's safe and steady and strong and he's got a no nonsense attitude and combativeness and you don't get those traits out of a lot of players anymore. He plays a controlled pissed off game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Hajek has more upside but Lindgren plays a mature game already. He understands his abilities and works within those parameters. He's safe and steady and strong and he's got a no nonsense attitude and combativeness and you don't get those traits out of a lot of players anymore. He plays a controlled pissed off game.
I do think Hajek played really steady and poised last game. Not jumpy like earlier.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the correct answer is we would want the best possible defenseman on the 3rd pair. Or any pair.
You always want the best player possible in every position. But, there's more to team building than just sticking "the best" guy in every spot. Like, what is "the best" for a 3LD? I mean if it's Mark Giordano, great. But you can't fit guys like that in that spot, so you need to identify the guys that complement your team as it is currently constructed and bring the most to the table.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
You always want the best player possible in every position. But, there's more to team building than just sticking "the best" guy in every spot. Like, what is "the best" for a 3LD? I mean if it's Mark Giordano, great. But you can't fit guys like that in that spot, so you need to identify the guys that complement your team as it is currently constructed and bring the most to the table.

I just dislike the NES Ice Hockey method of team construction where instead of "we have too many skinny guys, we need at least one fat guy" we say "we have too much skill, lets get some less skilled guys who hit people".

The idea of attaching a talented player to a less talented player because it fits that talent/size Leetch-Beukeboom mold is something that is still a thing and definitely should not be. Its more painful when its your top pair but I would rather not see it at all.

In other words, if (or hopefully when) Lindgren becomes a staple on the defense it should be because his willingness to hit people or clear the front of the net (or do x and y and z) has led to him being a good defenseman, not just because he does those things.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just dislike the NES Ice Hockey method of team construction where instead of "we have too many skinny guys, we need at least one fat guy" we say "we have too much skill, lets get some less skilled guys who hit people".

The idea of attaching a talented player to a less talented player because it fits that talent/size Leetch-Beukeboom mold is something that is still a thing and definitely should not be. Its more painful when its your top pair but I would rather not see it at all.

In other words, if (or hopefully when) Lindgren becomes a staple on the defense it should be because his willingness to hit people or clear the front of the net (or do x and y and z) has led to him being a good defenseman, not just because he does those things.
OK, sure. I can buy that. I just happen to believe that he is a good defenseman and belongs in the lineup. I think he could have stuck last year, as well, but the organization obviously wanted to try other things. I think if Marc Staal had retired or something, 100% Lindgren would have made the team (refer back to the comments from Quinn or Gorton about it being extremely close between Hajek and Lindgren).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lindgren has always been the 'not so flashy' brother of all of the Ranger prospects. He had a solid but unspectacular college career of two years. He didn't put up a ton of points last year on an AHL team that was a dumspter fire defensively. People just didn't understand the style of game he plays transitions well. That and his inner fire and competitiveness make him a valuable addition to any team.

I'm curious how a guy like Rykov takes this. He gets hurt in Traverse City and sees his (2) main competitors grabbing spots in the NHL 10 games into the season. Not to mention Fox. That's (3) rookies playing while he is sitting with a weird injury.

Reactions: belford22

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
OK, sure. I can buy that. I just happen to believe that he is a good defenseman and belongs in the lineup. I think he could have stuck last year, as well, but the organization obviously wanted to try other things. I think if Marc Staal had retired or something, 100% Lindgren would have made the team (refer back to the comments from Quinn or Gorton about it being extremely close between Hajek and Lindgren).

Personally I like Lindgren. I try not to let my biases cloud my judgement but I usually have soft spots for players I watched and liked in the NCAA.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

The reason you see that so much is because the number of players in the league who have both skill and size/snarl are seriously limited. Every team in the league would love to have a physically imposing dman who can shut down the opposition while putting up good points. In the absence of that, teams make due with what they have. That often means sticking an offensive-minded dman together with a more stay-at-home type to hopefully create a pairing that is more than the sum of its parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad