Value of: Ryan Lindgren (NYR) to MIN

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Would the Wild have any interest in bringing hometown boy Ryan Lindgren to Minnesota? Impending RFA making $3M on his current contract.

What are the Wild doing? Are they rebuilding? Retooling? Would they want to trade a contract to the Rangers or a prospect?

Is Riley Heidt available?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wild already have Middleton playing a similar role and with the buyout penalties still killing them I’d doubt they would be lining up to give Lindgren his big contract.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wild already have Middleton playing a similar role and with the buyout penalties still killing them I’d doubt they would be lining up to give Lindgren his big contract.
Middleton and Lindgren shouldn't be put in the same discussion. Middleton is a solid bottom pairing defenseman, and two years older.

Lindgren is a certified top 4 defenseman. And his good seasons he's a borderline #3. He has very good metrics most years. Fox is a great defensive player, but when not playing with Lindgren (not very often) becomes lost defensively. I don't think it's a coincidence.

The issue here is that the Rangers can't really afford to lose Lindgren without getting back someone who can play top 4 LHD minutes. Miller might be the better player to trade anyway. Unless the Wild can send us back someone who is playing Lindgren's minutes I don't see that there's any trade to be made.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Middleton and Lindgren shouldn't be put in the same discussion. Middleton is a solid bottom pairing defenseman, and two years older.

Lindgren is a certified top 4 defenseman. And his good seasons he's a borderline #3. He has very good metrics most years. Fox is a great defensive player, but when not playing with Lindgren (not very often) becomes lost defensively. I don't think it's a coincidence.

The issue here is that the Rangers can't really afford to lose Lindgren without getting back someone who can play top 4 LHD minutes. Miller might be the better player to trade anyway. Unless the Wild can send us back someone who is playing Lindgren's minutes I don't see that there's any trade to be made.

No argument about who is better. But adding a big cap hit when you are as strapped as MN for another physical LD with offensive limitations would be a choice.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Devils could use someone like Lindgren, but it's almost 100 percent sure they wouldn't make a trade with the Rangers (and vice versa).

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019

Fox is better without Lindgren. This idea that Fox needs Lindgren is ridiculous

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Would the Wild have any interest in bringing hometown boy Ryan Lindgren to Minnesota? Impending RFA making $3M on his current contract.

What are the Wild doing? Are they rebuilding? Retooling? Would they want to trade a contract to the Rangers or a prospect?

Is Riley Heidt available?
Minnesota doesn’t need another LD, nor are they trading a top C prospect for a player they can’t afford

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Middleton has 20 points this year, Lindgren has 9. Middleton has 3" and 25 lbs on him, and is tough as nails. He is averaging 20 minutes/night. That is a middle pairing Dman, not a bottom pairing one, and saying that Lindgren is somehow better is an opinion that has little basis in fact.

MN also has Brodin, and a slew of LHD prospects. LIndgren is about the last thing they need, given their cap situation.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Lindgren improving Fox rather than the other way around is certainly a take.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wild don’t need to invest resources into the backend. Their bottom 6 doesn’t have a 5 on 5 goal in 17 straight games

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Lindgren goes, he has to go to a team that can pay him. The Wild can’t pay him

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Middleton has 20 points this year, Lindgren has 9. Middleton has 3" and 25 lbs on him, and is tough as nails. He is averaging 20 minutes/night. That is a middle pairing Dman, not a bottom pairing one, and saying that Lindgren is somehow better is an opinion that has little basis in fact.

MN also has Brodin, and a slew of LHD prospects. LIndgren is about the last thing they need, given their cap situation.
You can’t be serious. Middleton has never had more points before this season. And we are talking about defensive defensemen, so what does points matter?

Middleton is taller and heavier. Doesn’t make him better. Hjalmarsson and Tanev were never the tallest or heaviest, but at their best were elite DFD. Doesn’t take being tall and heavy to play the role well.

Middleton has pretty weak metrics. This is the first season of his career at age 28 he’s been playing 3D minutes. Always been 4D or lower minutes. Lindgren consistently plays 3-4D minutes. Maybe this year you could argue for Middleton, although I’d still push back on that, but there’s no real debate who has more value and has had the better career.

Lindgren improving Fox rather than the other way around is certainly a take.
I think they both help eachother. Fox needs someone who can play a more conservative defensive role. People think that you can just pair him with Miller or Gustafsson because the metrics have been okay in negligible samples. We will absolutely bleed goals if Fox doesn’t have a much safer defenseman besides him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How about a couple of future 2nd rounders?
That’s probably his value, but just not what we need.

I don’t understand why Rangers fans want to trade him anyway. We don’t have anyone who can replace him. Trading him would immediately make our LHD dire.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We need a LHD back who can play top 4 minutes. We have no need for Schmaltz.
Yeah that’s the tricky thing. In a vacuum sure I’d take Schmaltz for Lindgren, but that’s not really the deal the Rangers need. I think a deal like Lindgren for Provorov (for example) makes more sense, but nothing against the Arizona idea; Rangers just don’t have any internal replacements if they move a Dman

That’s probably his value, but just not what we need.

I don’t understand why Rangers fans want to trade him anyway. We don’t have anyone who can replace him. Trading him would immediately make our LHD dire.
Want to trade him because our cap situation sucks and they can’t afford his extension. Just economics

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Ridiculous. He has one offensive heater with the garbage defensive player Gustafsson, and now we should ignore years of evidence.

Over the last 3 years, they’ve played 2721:40 together at 5v5. Fox has played 973:49 away from Lindgren, and Lindgren 609:28 away from Fox.

All of Lindgren’s numbers go down away from Fox, and all of Fox’s go up away from Lindgren.

If you would like to verify this for yourself, go to NaturalStatTrick’s line tool, set the date range to this season, and the previous 2, and look at the With & Without You tab. It’ll look something like this:

IMG_0928.png

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Want to trade him because our cap situation sucks and they can’t afford his extension. Just economics
I mean, I understand that. I just don’t think it in any way helps the team. Should’ve initially phrased my post like that.

Try to solve the offseason without subtracting anyone that significant. For his extension, cap will be going up. At some point we may need to buyout or trade Goodrow and accept it’ll be costly. If there’s a player making a sizable contract who has real value I’m thinking of subtracting it’s Kakko. 2nd/3rd line wingers are the easiest thing to replace in this league and we have Othmann/Perreault coming on ELC’s.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, I understand that. I just don’t think it in any way helps the team. Should’ve initially phrased my post like that.

Try to solve the offseason without subtracting anyone that significant. For his extension, cap will be going up. At some point we may need to buyout or trade Goodrow and accept it’ll be costly. If there’s a player making a sizable contract who has real value I’m thinking of subtracting it’s Kakko. 2nd/3rd line wingers are the easiest thing to replace in this league and we have Othmann/Perreault coming on ELC’s.
It helps if you can move him for another D. I think Prorovov makes sense economically because he’s an expiring contract and might not want to stay in Ohio; so they can move him out for Lindgren’s RFA control and no one is any wiser. Provorov can handle those minutes, and Columbus will obviously be familiar with Lindgren. Just think it kind of works

Cap is going up, but we are going to need to spend that elsewhere. Kakko needs a raise, Igor needs a raise, Schneider needs a raise, etc. those are all more important pieces than Lindgren and the cap isn’t going up enough to make it trivial.

Hoping they can trade Goodrow but not optimistic because that’s the worst contract in the league in a lot of ways. Would rather not buy him out because they might need to save the buyout for the second worst contract in the league which is Trouba.

Rangers need to be done adding wings unless someone exceptional (like Gabe Perrault) falls to them in the draft or something. The Rangers kept their first (for now) and that could help add another D, but they have a lot of work to do in that part of the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00