Value of: Ryan Lindgren (NYR) to MIN

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Over the last 3 years, they’ve played 2721:40 together at 5v5. Fox has played 973:49 away from Lindgren, and Lindgren 609:28 away from Fox.

All of Lindgren’s numbers go down away from Fox, and all of Fox’s go up away from Lindgren.

If you would like to verify this for yourself, go to NaturalStatTrick’s line tool, set the date range to this season, and the previous 2, and look at the With & Without You tab. It’ll look something like this:

View attachment 834104
And if you go back to four years you have the abysmal stretch at the end of the 2021 season where Fox couldn’t carry Hajek and Hajek with Fox unable to stop him damaged Igor’s SV% like 5 points the last week of that season.

I’d like to see Fox’s goals against numbers without Lindgren. I have no doubt his offensive numbers go up. Lindgren’s not much of an offensive player. And of course Lindgren’s numbers go down without Fox. Everyone’s numbers go down without Fox. That’s such an unfair way to look at things. There’s no way you can possibly win when you put it that way.

The question is whether Fox will play better over a long sample without Lindgren. I don’t think he will. The worry is defensively. If you just think Fox can babysit like Gustafsson or Jones or whoever, I think you will see his defensive numbers plummet. And paired with Miller might be better, but I think their styles might not mesh well. Miller’s been the aggressive offensive one on his pairing with Trouba. How would he adjust to being the defensive one?

If we have a player who can play top 4 LHD DFD minutes, I’m not against the idea that Fox can do well without Lindgren, but that player isn’t easy to find.

Reactions: Maliks PlusMinus

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Lindgren has had a really poor season, he's been trending down for a while now.

I don't know how highly he'd be valued around the league.

He is a weak spot for the Rangers right now, he's far from an impactful top4dman right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lindgren has had a really poor season, he's been trending down for a while now.

I don't know how highly he'd be valued around the league.

He is a weak spot for the Rangers right now, he's far from an impactful top4dman right now.
Seems a little bit of an exaggeration to say a player is trending down because of one bad season. He turned 26 a month ago.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Seems a little bit of an exaggeration to say a player is trending down because of one bad season. He turned 26 a month ago.

Most of HFNYR would not agree it's an exaggeration.

He has a ton of hard miles on him, always getting banged up and injured. He looks different and noticeably bad this year.

well see if he rebounds

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That’s probably his value, but just not what we need.

I don’t understand why Rangers fans want to trade him anyway. We don’t have anyone who can replace him. Trading him would immediately make our LHD dire.
Because it's become very apparent that the physical play, shot blocking and getting hammed by players in the boards have taken a big toll on his body. Ryan Lindgren isn't taking a 2 year deal, right? So fans want to trade him because a long term contract might not be the best thing for this team.

Lindy + Jones + two 3rds
for
two 2nds
That's terrible...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We need a LHD back who can play top 4 minutes. We have no need for Schmaltz.
we are past TDL anyway
and this effin team has to learn to develop youth
Robertson should have been playing already
stopgaps include Mackey

That’s probably his value, but just not what we need.

I don’t understand why Rangers fans want to trade him anyway. We don’t have anyone who can replace him. Trading him would immediately make our LHD dire.
We need the picks b'c we were stupid and splurged on win now = epic fail
getting picks would help immensely
if Martians kidnapped Lindy/Jones [who is ok, just redundant given we have much better version of that type in Fox] we would still have a guy or 2
Robertson
Mackey

Yeah that’s the tricky thing. In a vacuum sure I’d take Schmaltz for Lindgren, but that’s not really the deal the Rangers need. I think a deal like Lindgren for Provorov (for example) makes more sense, but nothing against the Arizona idea; Rangers just don’t have any internal replacements if they move a Dman

Want to trade him because our cap situation sucks and they can’t afford his extension. Just economics
continuing w/more win now will beget more win now

listen to bern for a change...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because it's become very apparent that the physical play, shot blocking and getting hammed by players in the boards have taken a big toll on his body. Ryan Lindgren isn't taking a 2 year deal, right? So fans want to trade him because a long term contract might not be the best thing for this team.
Thats your own speculation. He’s having a bad season. After one bad season people always extrapolate larger conclusions that often don’t apply.

He’s 26 years old. 26 is pretty young to fall of a cliff.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Thats your own speculation. He’s having a bad season. After one bad season people always extrapolate larger conclusions that often don’t apply.

He’s 26 years old. 26 is pretty young to fall of a cliff.
Oh, I'm sorry. Your speculation is what matters.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

That's terrible...

This is awful.
Lindy still has value but let's get real x 2

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think you missed the part where you included 2 3rds and Jones w/ Lindgren to get 2 2nds.
Lindy worth a 2nd +/ish, Jones a 3rd-/ish
two 3rds balance upgrade

why, what do you think Lindy commands now?

btw, last season I said he was at most 20oa/ish, and some mocked me?
Did that include you?

What I said was correct then, IMO, but w/more wear + tear and reduced term at only 3 per, value is less today.

to quote Phil Donahue: "your thoughts?..."

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Lindy worth a 2nd +/ish, Jones a 3rd-/ish
two 3rds balance upgrade

why, what do you think Lindy commands now?

btw, last season I said he was at most 20oa/ish, and some mocked me?
Did that include you?

What I said was correct then, IMO, but w/more wear + tear and reduced term at only 3 per, value is less today.

to quote Phil Donahue: "your thoughts?..."
It's not about what he's worth, it's using him, plus jones, plus 2 3rd round picks to upgrade to 2 second round picks.. Let's say he's worth that 2nd and Jones is worth that 3rd, why are you adding 2 3rds on top of that to bring in 2 second round picks?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's not about what he's worth, it's using him, plus jones, plus 2 3rd round picks to upgrade to 2 second round picks.. Let's say he's worth that 2nd and Jones is worth that 3rd, why are you adding 2 3rds on top of that to bring in 2 second round picks?

If Lindgren is worth a 2nd

And Jones is worth a 3rd-ish

You are trading a 2nd for a 2nd and 3 3rds for a 2nd. The value might be slightly off-kilter for the latter, but depending on where the picks fall, it's not that far off. Would you trade an early 2nd for two late 3rds? I wouldn't.

Of course you can really question whether Zac Jones is actually worth a 3rd or not. I'm not sure many people would make that deal for an undersized bottom pair defenseman who doesn't play a physical/tough game at all. Calen Addison was traded for a 2026 5th round pick earlier this season.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

This. But it’s typical what have you done for me lately syndrome.

Lindy more then likely goes no where. He’s part of that 2nd core of guys fox/shesty/laf/cuylle/kakko/schneider/miller/etc

At 26 years old as RFA he would absolutely return a late 1st from some team.
Bad season or not, his body of work since coming into the league can’t be ignored…..
The loudest ones that want to get rid of him
-want to dump Zibby with 6yrs and NMc
-want to dump trouba
-would/wanted to dump Panarin after last season
-said Trocheck signing was too much, prior to this year
I can go on and on you know that.

Rangers have
Tro-30yrs old
Zibby-30yrs old
Panarin 32yrs old
Kreider- 32 yrs old

Shesty 28 yrs old

Those are the only real core pieces. Everyone else is 25-26 and younger…

Guys like vesey/goodrow/gus are very replaceable either internally or via FA/trade and won’t break the bank

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
fair ?

answer: context
the deal is w/AZ, 'yotes were proposed trading partner
2nd from them is worth more than a very late 2nd from elsewhere

Also if I wasn't clear, Jones is MAYBE worth a 2nd
The two 3rds are appropriate in that context, plus that Lindy is also obv useful now but is a declining asset. You have to adjust for real wear and tear over the last season +.

If ya wanna quibble, maybe it is a 3rd +, not two 3rds.
But either way, if you want to expect 2 2nds, we will have to kick in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad