Player Discussion Ryan Kesler

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think the part that pisses me off the most is that I really do like some of these statistics. Some of them I don't consider very significant at all, so meh to those, but some of them genuinely provide us with more information that can be used to paint you a slightly better picture. Oh sure, the image is blurry as hell, and if you're trying to turn it into some high definition picture of what a player contributes, you're forced to make a lot of assumptions and you still have lots of gaps so don't do that, but it's still an improvement.

I just can't abide the ridiculous ways people have misused the statistics, all because they are too lazy to actually watch games of the players they are attempting to analyze. As someone who is focused on electrical engineering, and who loves hard science, it pisses me off to see people trying to cut corners and being unwilling to ask questions they don't know the answer to. There is nothing wrong with admitting you don't know.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
We're at the age where people swear by certain stats and also apply arbitrary meanings to those stats. For example, Corsi and possession. Now if you go by Corsi, Carl Hagelin is better at possessing the puck than Ryan Getzlaf. Anyone, without exception, who has seen both play and thinks Hagelin is better at possessing the puck than Getzlaf is, quite honestly, stupid and/or dishonest.

This is a perfect summary.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
We're at the age where people swear by certain stats and also apply arbitrary meanings to those stats. For example, Corsi and possession. Now if you go by Corsi, Carl Hagelin is better at possessing the puck than Ryan Getzlaf. Anyone, without exception, who has seen both play and thinks Hagelin is better at possessing the puck than Getzlaf is, quite honestly, stupid and/or dishonest.

Which is exactly my point. You should be asking how and why you can come to that conclusion, and if it makes sense. Answer: It doesn't make sense. Which means the statistics are either flawed, the way they are being used is flawed, or people need to admit the possibility that there is a whole butt load of information that isn't being measured somewhere between Corsi, and the truth.

Interesting factoid: A butt is an actual unit of measurement.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
It's amazing how many advanced stat-watchers disregard and ignore the fact that variables make their god-stat unreliable; they toss these variables aside like they're nothing.

Hell, you wouldn't believe how many of these people can't explain to me what the fundamentals of sound defense are, or what a good defensive player is good at that makes him good defensively. But then they use this stat and suddenly they're better and more qualified to evaluate talent than the league's best scouts and coaches.

It's honestly sort of funny when you're an unaffiliated bystander, but they'll latch onto just about anyone. Manson is a borderline 1D and Fowler's a 3rd pairing PPQB. Lindholm > Ristolainen and Rielly and the AINECs that it comes with. Kesler is overrated defensively, but is apparently one of the top offensive centers in the league. Guys like Marcus Kruger are Selke candidates. Hell, I literally had this one guy tell me Andrej Nestrasil off of the Charlotte Checkers was an elite NHL player. (he was also coincidentally one of the people who didn't know what constituted a good defensive player; best answer I got was "idk, stickchecking")

Then they tell you that you have confirmation bias when you say "player x can't be as bad as the stats say" and then suffer from confirmation bias themselves if you can actually convince them to watch player x play.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Apparently Kes have 2 goals in last 24 or so games. Reallly slowed down offensively.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's not much of a worry Kesler has always been incredibly streaky. At the start of the year the chances were going in, now not so much. He had similar stretches in both his previous years here too, last year his offensive production didn't pick up until January, the year before he started off hot an cooled down in the second half.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Doesn't help that he looks exhausted. At one point in the 3rd the broadcast zoomed in on him for a bit and he looked like he was ready to fall over

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Doesn't help that he looks exhausted. At one point in the 3rd the broadcast zoomed in on him for a bit and he looked like he was ready to fall over

Getting that five minutes a night out of the fourth line more than makes up for it, though.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Keerole Boll

giphy.gif

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Looks tired. Didn't realize until the broadcast last night that he is the 2nd leading ice time forward in the entire NHL. Too much.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Looks tired. Didn't realize until the broadcast last night that he is the 2nd leading ice time forward in the entire NHL. Too much.

If only we had better 4th line center. Having such a crappy 4th line center for so long has been bad for us. Even now with Thompson back into the lineup he isn't as good as he once was.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think the recent poor numbers are more to do with the ebbs and flows of the season than anything else but I do agree that Carlyle needs to ease off on his usage. Use Thompson and Vermette more on the PK and send out Vermette to take some of the defensive zone drawers he's always sending Kesler out for. There's no reason to play him much more than 20 mins per game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My feeling is that the ice time will, or should, dip a bit leading up to the playoffs if Anaheim is comfortably in a spot. This applies to guys like Fowler and Lindholm too, and ideally Getzlaf. Having Gibson completely healthy would be a major plus too.

I completely understand that he feels he needs to use them heavily, especially with the current roster, but if the situation allows him to cut back on their usage a bit to give them a little more rest leading up to it, I'm all for it. Even if it means we don't get home ice.

Oct 18, 2011
I think the recent poor numbers are more to do with the ebbs and flows of the season than anything else but I do agree that Carlyle needs to ease off on his usage. Use Thompson and Vermette more on the PK and send out Vermette to take some of the defensive zone drawers he's always sending Kesler out for. There's no reason to play him much more than 20 mins per game.
Maybe but he has a long contract and he is very important to the teams playoff hopes you have to try and preserve him as best you can, and the fact that no effort has been made to develop a 4th line to atleast try and alleviate some of the load really sucks. Randy and Bob both share blame in this, it's not just the sheer amount of minutes, it's the fact he plays very hard minutes all the time.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe but he has a long contract and he is very important to the teams playoff hopes you have to try and preserve him as best you can, and the fact that no effort has been made to develop a 4th line to atleast try and alleviate some of the load really sucks. Randy and Bob both share blame in this, it's not just the sheer amount of minutes, it's the fact he plays very hard minutes all the time.

I agree that Randy and Bob are to blame about our lack of 4th line. We have three decent enough pieces in Kase, Thompson and Wagner that should be able to play more minutes and rest our big guys. Getzlaf just played 24 minutes two nights in a row which shouldn't happen.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
My feeling is that the ice time will, or should, dip a bit leading up to the playoffs if Anaheim is comfortably in a spot. This applies to guys like Fowler and Lindholm too, and ideally Getzlaf. Having Gibson completely healthy would be a major plus too.

I completely understand that he feels he needs to use them heavily, especially with the current roster, but if the situation allows him to cut back on their usage a bit to give them a little more rest leading up to it, I'm all for it. Even if it means we don't get home ice.

Sad that it's come to the point where I would prefer not to have home ice. Everyone scapegoats Bordeau for the home ice playoff chokes but I have always been a proponent of blaming the players for not showing up... and more or less we have the same players.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Carlyle with all his flaws though is someone I would want to have home ice. He's very set on his line matchups and if we're on the road he's not going to get his way as easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad