Ryan Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
I keep asking myself...if the Sedins retire today, can Kesler take over 1st line duties? I have to say no. I think it's time to stop thinking Kesler will get back to his old form one of these days. His best days are behind him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I keep asking myself...if the Sedins retire today, can Kesler take over 1st line duties? I have to say no. I think it's time to stop thinking Kesler will get back to his old form one of these days. His best days are behind him.

It was a largely unpopular thing to suggest at the time, but even when Kesler was in the process of notching is 40g season...there was a healthy contingent who remained steadfast in suggesting that Kesler would never be able to take over as a '#1C'. The signs were always there, and he's never really shown that he could assume that role successfully.

The worst part of it all though, is that in some misguided effort to become a #1C, it's as though Kesler has made himself dramatically less effective as a #2C. I don't think anyone reasonable would be complaining at this point if Kesler reverted to ~25g, 75pt Kesler form. He was the ideal #2C at that point and he made his linemates more effective. I think that was largely the same Kesler we got in his 41g year, but after that season was in the books and all the pats on the back came in...something seemed to change in his mentality. And it makes him much less effective in his real role as a great #2C. I'm not convinced it will ever change back.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It was a largely unpopular thing to suggest at the time, but even when Kesler was in the process of notching is 40g season...there was a healthy contingent who remained steadfast in suggesting that Kesler would never be able to take over as a '#1C'. The signs were always there, and he's never really shown that he could assume that role successfully.

The worst part of it all though, is that in some misguided effort to become a #1C, it's as though Kesler has made himself dramatically less effective as a #2C. I don't think anyone reasonable would be complaining at this point if Kesler reverted to ~25g, 75pt Kesler form. He was the ideal #2C at that point and he made his linemates more effective. I think that was largely the same Kesler we got in his 41g year, but after that season was in the books and all the pats on the back came in...something seemed to change in his mentality. And it makes him much less effective in his real role as a great #2C. I'm not convinced it will ever change back.
And some wanted to slap a C on his chest because hes "emotional".... :laugh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kesler's shot just isn't good enough at this point to warrant spending assets to get him a playmaker.

I would strongly disagree with that notion.

Granted, Kesler's shot isn't half as great as he seems to think it is, but the real issue is in how he is intent on using it. He wants to use his shot like a winger now...so bet it, let him be a winger and use it. He does have a good snap shot though, he just consistently skates his way with the puck into situations where he can't use it effectively.

But the real value in a playmaking center on Kesler's line, would be in allowing him to do the things he seems most interested in doing these days, more than just the shooting. Getting in aggressively on the forecheck, taking shots, battling in the corners, and above all else, parking himself around the net and working the crease and slot area to tip pucks, bang away at rebounds, create space for linemates, etc. The sort of things he does so well on PP. Get somebody on that line at center who can competently control play and distribute the puck, and you not only make Kesler more effective in what it is he is trying to do...you also reach a point where Kesler makes his linemates more effective again, by playing that valuable 'power winger' role, creating space, sniping shots, and putting away the garbage around the net.

Betamax*

I'd ask the question could Kesler be a first liner if he had first liners to play with? Right now he's flanked by a couple of third liners.

If Henrik somehow lost his ironman streak, I think Kesler with Daniel and Burrows or Kassian would do okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
This team wont be a Stanley Cup contender unless the Twins resign for a discount i.e. 3rd line money and play as our second line and Kess our 3rd and we get a bonafide playoff built 1st line scoring threat.
Sedins have been great this year but thats the only way i see this team going deep any time soon.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This team wont be a Stanley Cup contender unless the Twins resign for a discount i.e. 3rd line money and play as our second line and Kess our 3rd and we get a bonafide playoff built 1st line scoring threat.
Sedins have been great this year but thats the only way i see this team going deep any time soon.

Don't hold your breath...the Sedins won't sign for 3rd line money, nor should they...Kesler won't be our 3rd line center anytime soon, despite playing like one...and producing a "bonafide playoff built 1st line" out of thin air just doesn't happen unless you are playing on your PS3/Xbox.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
Don't hold your breath...the Sedins won't sign for 3rd line money, nor should they...Kesler won't be our 3rd line center anytime soon, despite playing like one...and producing a "bonafide playoff built 1st line" out of thin air just doesn't happen unless you are playing on your PS3/Xbox.

Sedins have been great and deserve first line money its just that i dont see this club contending unless they add 2-3 big pieces.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Sedins have been great and deserve first line money its just that i dont see this club contending unless they add 2-3 big pieces.

If that's the case, then we won't be contending...you don't just add 2-3 big pieces because of 1) the cost to acquire, and 2) the lack of availability of these pieces.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Consider me in the camp that see 'New Kesler' as a better fit on the wing. He's always leaned in that direction, but his complete inability/unwillingness to share/distribute the puck to his wingers at this point pushes him every further into that realm.

The issue still remains...defensively, Kesler is still capable of playing at a very very high level, and he will produce some points doing so at center ice. So you have to be talking about Kesler on the wing as being centered by a guy who is pretty darn good, to justify the move realistically.

Stastny-Kesler would be a dynamite duo imo, and that's a pair of players who can carry a rookie like say...Shinkaruk or Jensen effectively as well. But there still really isn't very much out there that could potentially be available at some point in the near future outside of that. You generally have to draft and develop great playmaking top-6 centers yourself.

But if we're talking about exploring the idea of expending significant assets (via trade, or $$$ via FA) on a bonafide top-6 scoring threat like Vanek...at this point, i think we'd have substantially better results acquiring a playmaking center like Stastny and moving Kesler to the wing as our own homegrown 'Vanek'. I just have no faith in Kesler's ability to play with a goal scoring winger at this point, without holding them back with selfish play and his overbearing 'shooter' mentality.

While I haven't liked most of any big name acquisition proposals, Stastny is a player I support bringing in. However, only if the cost doesn't break the pipeline here and he comes with an immediate contract agreement. Without those two securities, I would rather Gillis try to sign him as an FA (good luck).

The other option is paying a cheaper price for Plekanec - if MTL wants to move him.

In both instances though, I am against moving Kesler to wing. His utility at C is such that he would become half as valuable if he shifted to wing, IMO. All of his important work is done in the Dzone and transition, where I think he is most effective in the middle of the ice. I don't want the team to lose that in any way.

If Stastny and Kesler could somehow co-exist as 2nd and 3rd line Cs, then I'm all for this. By that I mean Kesler's ego doesn't get in the way of re-signing him. The team would finally have the C depth to support any type of winger, and the wingers would be largely interchangeable. I really like this approach and hope management is thinking about doing something like this soon. That's the type of change the team could really use.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
While I haven't liked most of any big name acquisition proposals, Stastny is a player I support bringing in. However, only if the cost doesn't break the pipeline here and he comes with an immediate contract agreement. Without those two securities, I would rather Gillis try to sign him as an FA (good luck).

The other option is paying a cheaper price for Plekanec - if MTL wants to move him.

In both instances though, I am against moving Kesler to wing. His utility at C is such that he would become half as valuable if he shifted to wing, IMO. All of his important work is done in the Dzone and transition, where I think he is most effective in the middle of the ice. I don't want the team to lose that in any way.

If Stastny and Kesler could somehow co-exist as 2nd and 3rd line Cs, then I'm all for this. By that I mean Kesler's ego doesn't get in the way of re-signing him. The team would finally have the C depth to support any type of winger, and the wingers would be largely interchangeable. I really like this approach and hope management is thinking about doing something like this soon. That's the type of change the team could really use.

If Kesler can indeed flourish as a winger, I think we have to try him there. While Stastny would be a good addition to the team, it would cost a significant amount of assets to acquire him.

If Horvat can somehow make the team next year and slot into the 2nd line C spot adequately, I think moving Kesler to the wing would solve multiple problems that have plagued this team for a long time. Without wasting any additional assets, we'd finally have a capable 2nd line winger which would also deepen our top 6. But as I've said, this is all contingent on Kesler playing well enough as a winger to justify such a move.

And again, he would have to slide his ego over for the sake of the team. I look to the Brent Burns situation as an inspiration for such a move. The Sharks managed to strengthen their top 6 without really hurting their backend as they called up really underrated guys from their system that filled in their defense seamlessly nor did they need to any assets with such a move.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I love this notion that Kesler returning to 70+ points would be, like, satisfactory as a 2C. Do people seriously think the average NHL team generates 400 goals a season? If Kesler hit those totals he would lead half the league's teams in scoring. 2nd liners score closer to Higgins territory than vintage Kesler.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I love this notion that Kesler returning to 70+ points would be, like, satisfactory as a 2C. Do people seriously think the average NHL team generates 400 goals a season? If Kesler hit those totals he would lead half the league's teams in scoring. 2nd liners score closer to Higgins territory than vintage Kesler.

For me, its not really about the points. There is a dip in Kesler's ability to drive play. A contender has at least 2 top lines that are capable of consistently driving play into the opposition's zone and without that, we're just a 1 line team, which is what it looks like right now. Only the Sedins are going and everyone else is just a passenger.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Well said. I don't think people realize just how phenomenal Kesler's 09-10 season was where he put up 75 points with 2nd line minutes and 2nd unit PP time. To treat that as some sort of baseline is asinine.

At this point, anything around 60 points (would put him top 20-25 in center scoring in 11-12) and solid 2-way play would be a great season for him. Unfortunately his play so far this year isn't even in the same galaxy as what it'd take to achieve that.

arsmaster*

I'm sick of the Kesler doesn't pass club. He passes plenty.

Count me into the Chris Higgins can't finish club.

I'm very dissapointed with the appearance of kesler on the ice so far this season. He seems to be lacking in quick burst explosion, doesn't generate power in his glide like he used too.

I'm not quite ready to throw my hat in with Canucker and shortshorts yet, but he's been disappointing especially due to him having a training camp and an off season. I expected a lot more.

Team looks poorly built. That isn't keslers fault. But he's contributing to it.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
This guy is damaged goods. Nothing more than an overpaid 3rd liner. Unfortunate but true, you can't rely on him for offense, he doesn't hurt the team if he's healthy but he won't win you very many games anymore...he is just not the same.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If Kesler can indeed flourish as a winger, I think we have to try him there. While Stastny would be a good addition to the team, it would cost a significant amount of assets to acquire him.

If Horvat can somehow make the team next year and slot into the 2nd line C spot adequately, I think moving Kesler to the wing would solve multiple problems that have plagued this team for a long time. Without wasting any additional assets, we'd finally have a capable 2nd line winger which would also deepen our top 6. But as I've said, this is all contingent on Kesler playing well enough as a winger to justify such a move.

And again, he would have to slide his ego over for the sake of the team. I look to the Brent Burns situation as an inspiration for such a move. The Sharks managed to strengthen their top 6 without really hurting their backend as they called up really underrated guys from their system that filled in their defense seamlessly nor did they need to any assets with such a move.

Yeah I don't expect Gillis to acquire Stastny. Cost would be too much I agree. Best chance is in FA.

On Kesler at the wing: I'm not in favour of moving him to wing anymore. He's a natural C, and I hope he persists there. There's just too much value he brings as a C overall that I'd sooner move him to 3C than as a 2RW, like what the Sharks have done with Pavelski.

The Sharks seem to have found a top6 forward in Burns, while their D actually got better in the exchange. A unique situation. Internally, I see no equivalent, even with Kesler moving to wing because an external addition would have to push him there. Lest Edler convert to forward...

Internally, the move that might yield the most change is placing Daniel on Kesler's wing. They have to try this if that line can't get going.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah I don't expect Gillis to acquire Stastny. Cost would be too much I agree. Best chance is in FA.

On Kesler at the wing: I'm not in favour of moving him to wing anymore. He's a natural C, and I hope he persists there. There's just too much value he brings as a C overall that I'd sooner move him to 3C than as a 2RW, like what the Sharks have done with Pavelski.

The Sharks seem to have found a top6 forward in Burns, while their D actually got better in the exchange. A unique situation. Internally, I see no equivalent, even with Kesler moving to wing because an external addition would have to push him there. Lest Edler convert to forward...

Internally, the move that might yield the most change is placing Daniel on Kesler's wing. They have to try this if that line can't get going.

Booth - Henrik - Kassian
Daniel - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Santo/Schroeder - Hansen
Richardson - Dalpe - Weise

That could work, makes the 2nd line way more potent and pushes Higgins and Hansen to the 3rd line where they should be.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
Booth - Henrik - Kassian

That could work, makes the 2nd line way more potent and pushes Higgins and Hansen to the 3rd line where they should be.

Booth-Henrik-Kassian
Daniel-Burrows-Kesler
Higgins-Santa-Hansen
Richardson-Schroeder-Dalpe

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This guy is damaged goods. Nothing more than an overpaid 3rd liner. Unfortunate but true, you can't rely on him for offense, he doesn't hurt the team if he's healthy but he won't win you very many games anymore...he is just not the same.

Overpaid third liner... haha oh man. Don't even know where to start :laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Booth - Henrik - Kassian

Someone proposed Daniel-Kesler-Kassian and I really like the look of it. Kassian gets two shooting options on his line, while both Daniel and Kassian can feed Kesler passes. They are all capable along the wall as well. Really hope they try it at some point.

Then, Booth gets paired with a pure playmaker in Henrik, with Burrows being the "worker" for their line. Again, the shooting ability of Booth+Burrows compliment Henrik. So:

Booth-Henrik-Burrows
Daniel-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Richardson-Dalpe-Santorelli

Interchange Dalpe and Schroeder as necessary. Weise draws in when either Schroeder/Dalpe sits and they move Santorelli/Richardson back to C. That line-up gives the team the best redundancy in the top6 and places a very good playmaker on each line. The one problem I foresee is the 2nd line's inability to forecheck fast, as the wings aren't fleet of foot. But if they do get the puck, there's more opportunity to sustain possession too. So pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad