Garrison - Diaz
Stanton - Bieksa
Corrado

Lu
Lack

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Again, I would be looking to acquire a Sutter type player as a roster player in any deal if it's addition to a prospect with Top 10 draft value and another 1st, etc. I just think the emphasis on Sutter is a red herring here, because it ideally wouldn't be the 1st or 2nd most important asset in a trade with Pittbsurgh.

Note: Pittsburgh would not be my choice, either. Sutter was just a sort of stand-in for the type of roster player I could see Gillis targeting in addition to more valuable futures.

Well, if it was Sutter, as well as a blue-chip centre prospect like Teravainen, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But taking roster pieces that don't fill a big need, while also taking futures that don't fill your biggest need wouldn't be prudent IMO.

Other teams would probably move good value for Sutter. So it's not like he's going to be a throw-in to the deal. IMO he would represent a decent portion of the value. If that's the case, I would prefer to look elsewhere, even if there's more risk associated with the other packages.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
I don't mind Berglund. I would try to deal for him. Just get the sense that Kesler will go east. How differently do you see Berglund from Eller?

I think Berglund's 50+ point season at age 22 means a lot, and it's only been since Hitch was back that's he's not produced as much. Eller may have more untapped potential, and is a bit younger.

Both are RFA after this year, so that's a factor, and Berglund makes double Eller, so a bigger cap commitment going forward, which given that one of the consequences of dealing Kes could be the ability to play more in UFA is a negative.

I don't see Eller in a top 6 role though, he's plateaued production wise, and never shown more than this.

Another poster suggested Berglund as a target for Hansen. I wonder if a parts type package for depth could get a guy like him or Eller. I.e. Hansen+, or pair Hansen and Higgins to a team that needs depth on the wings, to get a younger asset in the middle.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
How about Edler + 5th for ROR

And Kesler + Gaunce + 3rd for Voracek + B. Schenn

Sedin - Sedin - Voracek
ROR - Schenn - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Burrows - Richardson - Sestito

Hamhuis - Tanev
Garrison - Diaz
Stanton - Bieksa
Corrado

Lu
Lack

Both for great for me, doubt Philly does that though :(

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Well, if it was Sutter, as well as a blue-chip centre prospect like Teravainen, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But taking roster pieces that don't fill a big need, while also taking futures that don't fill your biggest need wouldn't be prudent IMO.

Other teams would probably move good value for Sutter. So it's not like he's going to be a throw-in to the deal. IMO he would represent a decent portion of the value. If that's the case, I would prefer to look elsewhere, even if there's more risk associated with the other packages.

If you look at my first post, that's basically what I said.

I'd want this:

- Prospect/young player with the value of roughly a Top 10 pick in a good draft (so if it's a prospect, it has to be a blue chip prospect, or a young player in the league like Couturier)

- Another 1st round pick (or equivalent value in prospect), probably the type more typically traded for a rental.

- A useful/young roster player like Sutter. Young, useful, but not with all-star upside.

I think that sort of value is what the team needs to look for. I'm not as hell-bent on getting a centre, however -- I'd just move Edler for one if I could get better value not forcing a trade for a centre.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
wennberg/jenner/1st is kind of the golden standard of value that i think gillis should be aiming to get. i honestly dont mind if he has to give a small amount back for a return like that - i'd rather the three pieces that i can be happy about than 1.5

wennberg/dubi/1st is fine. i prefer jenner to dubinsky though

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Yeah after looking at again I might agree. Maybe

Kesler + Hansen + 3rd for Voracek + B. Schenn ??

Wow I think you guys are overrating Voracek and Schenn no way do I do this we can get much more for Kesler

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
All those trades require a 1st round pick, not 2nd/3rd rounders, and as for the Berglund trade I reached an agreement with a blues fan for Berglund+Rattie+1st. If Gillis trades Kesler for 80% of Carter/Richards value...fire him now, and I like Gillis

Berglund + Rattie + 1st is IMO significantly worse than the Sutter + DP + 1st deal. And even the latter is pretty mediocre. Need to have one top 10 pick type of asset coming back and DP fills that. Berglund is OK and Rattie looks like he'll be a 2/3 tweener one day. A lot of overrating of mediocre prospects going on in this thread.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Voracek is a tremendous hockey player, I agree Schenn is overrated but Voracek is a serious player.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, play Kesler on Giroux's wing and I'd bet he gets more goals next year Voracek would get on the canucks in 2 seasons.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Berglund + Rattie + 1st is IMO significantly worse than the Sutter + DP + 1st deal. And even the latter is pretty mediocre. Need to have one top 10 pick type of asset coming back and DP fills that. Berglund is OK and Rattie looks like he'll be a 2/3 tweener one day. A lot of overrating of mediocre prospects going on in this thread.

Absolutely agree. I think people will be surprised with the return we get for Kesler because he is by far the best player on the trade block.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
you're reasonably down on rattie, right?

Rattie is a mediocre prospect at best. I don't see any scenario where he's more than a 25-25 player who's weak defensively and soft-ish. So no, not really excited about getting back a guy (Berglund) who's about as good as Sutter despite being given better offensive opportunity and a future Mason Raymond.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Agree. I'm not a big fan of either of Berglund/Rattie.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Agree. I'm not a big fan of either of Berglund/Rattie.

I like Ty Rattie a lot. From the limited times i've seen him.. I haven't seen enough of Berglund to judge him or Rattie really for that matter but it seemed Rattie had some amazing offensive talent. A St.louis pick will be 28-30 so we should ask for the 2015 pick oh wait they gave it to Buffalo... Damnit...

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I was trying to determine the value of Kesler through non Canuck fan goggles, so I posed the question on the Bruins board:

I'm trying to gauge Kesler's value and I think Bergeron is a great comparable. So let's say Bergeron was making $5 Mil until 2015-2016.
What do you think is a fair return?

Eternal wisdom and enlightenment.

All the gold in the known universe.

I am not exaggerating.

That's the tough part because we're not in the same situation. If we were looking to blow it up and Bergeron asked for a trade...I don't even know. I honestly couldn't tell you.

How about that left testicle of yours

:laugh:

My point is...If you were to propose to them: Sutter + Despres + 1st for Bergeron, they would beat you over the head with a Louisville Slugger. Teams with comparable players know exactly how valuable a guys like Kesler is to their team. So take the trade proposals from other teams with a grain of salt. They're all just trying their own version of Raymond, Schroeder and a 1st. ;)

If this trade goes down, I think we're all in for a pleasant surprise.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
How about Edler + 5th for ROR

And Kesler + Gaunce + 3rd for Voracek + B. Schenn

Sedin - Sedin - Voracek
ROR - Schenn - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Burrows - Richardson - Sestito

Hamhuis - Tanev
Garrison - Diaz
Stanton - Bieksa
Corrado

Lu
Lack

There is zero chance the Flyers make that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad