Speculation: Ryan Kesler trade rumours/speculation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I thought it'd be a good idea to get all the Kesler rumours/speculation in one thread as it seems to be a topic discussed in a number of threads (most heavily in the Armchair GM thread and the Trade Deadline thread), and will likely be discussed for a while. This would reduce a lot of the clutter so those threads can be used to discuss other things.

Louis Jean @LouisJean_TVA
Sources say Ryan Kesler requested a trade some time ago & wants out of Vcr. Told #Canucks don't want to trade him but may not have a choice.

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
It should be noted, Kesler's trade request goes back to the start of the season. #Canucks #NHL

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur
On @LouisJean_TVA's Kesler trade request story: Kesler was also telling people he wanted out of Vancouver after the bronze medal game. So ..

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford
GMMG: If he did want out or he didn't want out I wouldn't discuss it publicly. I'm not going to debate whether the report is accurate or not

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Whether Kesler requested traded, and I can neither confirm nor reject the report, teams have been calling VAN on him. Canucks are listening

Adrian Dater ‏@adater
Ryan Kesler has NOT requested a trade, his agent Kurt Overhardt tells me. Says reports saying so are "BS"

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Kesler says he's never asked for a trade. Asked if he would waive his NTC if asked, "I don't want to talk about what ifs" #canucks

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Early indication from one #NHL club say #Canucks ask for Kesler may include as many as 3 pieces. A 1st rd pick, roster player/ prospect.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#RedWings #Penguins #Rangers interested in Kesler. No shortage of offers starting 2 come in for #Canucks. I'm leaning towards a trade by Wed

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
@RealKyper Add the Blue Jackets to that list

Despite the exhilarating game going on, people begin talking on press row, swapping info on Kesler, trying to decode if he was happy in Vancouver, or if it made sense he wanted out. Being on the bottom end of the totem pole, I won't say what was said, but lots of random side stories were bandied about over Kesler; stuff that was said to them off the record and such, and his mind set over certain things that had happened the last couple of seasons. The conclusion was that yes, where there is smoke, there is indeed fire.

Source: TheStanchion

It doesn't sound as though Kesler actually made a formal trade request at any time, although it was clearly indicated that a change of scenery could benefit both the player and the team; so perhaps semantics, if anything else.

The bottom line:
• A number of NHL teams have gotten calls from the Canucks on Kesler and vice versa.
• The price is "significantly high," says one Western Conference source. Says a different source, "Really high. And I guess I can't blame them."
• The Canucks have made it clear to other teams that they don't feel the need to move him before Wednesday's deadline, that they're more than happy to pick this up again in June if their price isn't met. Or not move him at all if their price isn't met.
• Kesler is signed for two more seasons, which means if you're trading for him now, you've got three more playoffs out of the gritty, two-way star. And at $5 million a year, he's below market value.

Source: Lebrun

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He'll probably get moved at the draft.

He has more value at the deadline than he does at the draft though, considering teams that acquire him now would have 3 playoffs with him on his current contract. Though you're probably right. Trades this big tend to happen moreso at the draft than at the deadline.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He has more value at the deadline than he does at the draft though, considering teams that acquire him now would have 3 playoffs with him on his current contract. Though you're probably right. Trades this big tend to happen moreso at the draft than at the deadline.

Yeah, I just don't think they'll be able to close a deal within the week, well unless they started taking offers before, which may be the case.

John Bender*

My personal opinion is that he just needs his ego stroked a bit. The removal of is "A" and then the subsequent rumours from legit sources that everyone on the team save the Twins were available, I think ate away at him a bit and caused him to become a bit discontented with the team. I think he wants to be made to feel like an untouchable..........a public and private declaration of how important he is to the team, might even be enough.

I don't think you get enough value back for Kesler to trade him. A package of something like Kadri, a B-level prospect and a pick is likely what they are looking at. Given this, I think they need to make amends with him and keep him.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah if I'm a team serious about trading for him I do it right now so I get him for this upcoming playoffs. Even if it means paying a bit more its worth it if you have a shot at the cup.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
My personal opinion is that he just needs his ego stroked a bit. The removal of is "A" and then the subsequent rumours from legit sources that everyone on the team save the Twins were available, I think ate away at him a bit and caused him to become a bit discontented with the team. I think he wants to be made to feel like an untouchable..........a public and private declaration of how important he is to the team, might even be enough.

I don't think you get enough value back for Kesler to trade him. A package of something like Kadri, a B-level prospect and a pick is likely what they are looking at. Given this, I think they need to make amends with him and keep him.

Kesler should know that you don't need to wear a letter to be a leader in the room. If he's that butthurt over it I'd be seriously surprised.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Calling it now, Kesler to the penguins for tom barrasso

barrasso.jpg

John Bender*

Kesler should know that you don't need to wear a letter to be a leader in the room. If he's that butthurt over it I'd be seriously surprised.

He admitted in an interview that it upset him. I don't think it's the only reason he is discontented, but I think that, along with a bunch of other perceived slights, has caused him to become disillusioned with the team.

I really wonder if he is just sort of half serious about wanting to move on and if he really just wants to be paid some more respect.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He should be moved at the deadline.
With the parity in today's NHL...
There are always more buyers than sellers at the deadline...
And some desperate GMs will pay a king's ransom.

In the last few years...
I have seen some very lopsided deals.
Plus...
The Canucks holds all the cards with Kesler.
I expect a very satisfying return.

John Bender*

Because we only had 4 As left over from the Luongo captaincy period and we're not the ****ing Oilers where everyone gets an A.

I don't see what was wrong with the A floating around between the core leaders on the team. Taking it away from certain players was only going to result in problems. It was a poor decision.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Very little logic into trading him prior to the deadline.

Make the calculation this summer. Determine if trading him is an option they would undertake. if it is, you pull the trigger this summer after properly massaging 29 other teams.
This is the highest his value will be as a Canuck property going forward...

But if they determine he's flat out untouchable this summer, then /idea, [new idea].

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think Kesler's trade value will change by much, if any at all, if he were moved at the draft instead of the deadline, barring a major injury. He's a known commodity and while it's true that sometimes teams tend to overpay at the deadline, there will likely be more teams seriously in the mix in the summer when the cap goes up.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I don't see what was wrong with the A floating around between the core leaders on the team. Taking it away from certain players was only going to result in problems. It was a poor decision.

I agree especially Kesler who many myself included believe he should have been named the Captain or Bieksa

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
On That's Hockey today some names thrown out were Teuvo Teravainen and Ryan Johansen. Also, Craig Button mentioned if he were Mike Gillis and Toronto was showing interest that he would be asking for Kadri and Gardiner.

Rooting4TheNUCKS

Feb 22, 2014
Drammen, Norway
Guess who bought himself a brand new Kesler Jersey of the Internet three days ago?!
It's being shipped and has a transit time of approximately 3-5 weeks.
When it arrives Kesler could already be playing for a new team.
Ahh, why does **** like this always happens to me?!
I considered a Burrows or Luogo jersey, but of course did I chose Ryan Kesler.
This sucks!

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I don't think Kesler's trade value will change by much, if any at all, if he were moved at the draft instead of the deadline, barring a major injury. He's a known commodity and while it's true that sometimes teams tend to overpay at the deadline, there will likely be more teams seriously in the mix in the summer when the cap goes up.

really??? In years past theres always a team willing to pay the future for the present in a chance to win a Stanley Cup, and I can't remember a Playoff player of Kesler's calibre ever being made available at the trade deadline.. Iginla yes... But he was much older... Forsberg yes but he was much older... Kesler is only 29 on a damn good contract

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Very little logic into trading him prior to the deadline.

Make the calculation this summer. Determine if trading him is an option they would undertake. if it is, you pull the trigger this summer after properly massaging 29 other teams.
This is the highest his value will be as a Canuck property going forward...

But if they determine he's flat out untouchable this summer, then /idea, [new idea].

Deadlines usually gets the best deals.
It had been a sellers market the last couple of years...
And there are always some desperate GMs out there who wants to save his job.

Plus...
That assessment goes both ways.
Some GMs may not have assessed his team correctly...
Which is more likely in the chaos of the trade deadline...
And they vastly overpay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad