Ryan Kesler Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think they're trying to sneak into 8th, based on what I've gathered. Don't agree with it, but if you're looking for a 'now' piece, Oshie is a respectable return.

Don't see any other players better than Oshie that would be offered up for Kesler...

I like Oshie, but I'd much prefer a "futures" package than this deal.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
As would Vancouver be stupid to trade for Oshie
He's overrated because of his Olympic spectacle

Oshie with concussion issues is just 2 years younger than Kesler
Oshie's scored 20 or more goals just once, where Kesler has 6 - 20 or more goal seasons

Oshie is small at 5'11" and 189lbs, where Kesler is 6' 2" and 205

Kesler has won a major award, and Oshie.... well uhhh
No thanks

Whoever is trading for Kesler is only concerned about what is to come. In that vein, they should be expecting a 45-55 point 2nd line centre. A far cry from what he was 3-4 years ago.

Loui Eriksson has a nice resume, not unlike Kesler. That doesn't mean he's worth more than Oshie at this point.

Going forward, Oshie is on par with Kesler IMO. Might get an insignificant plus to go with him - wouldn't change the dynamic of the deal much though.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I like Oshie, but I'd much prefer a "futures" package than this deal.

Yeah, would ideally be loking at a return of 20-23 year old forwards. Guys on the verge of really making an impact, but still young enough to be core players in a half dozen years.

Would take Etem or Vatanen and the 10th overall over Oshie. It's a riskier move, but it's a risk this organization needs to take IMO.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yeah, would ideally be loking at a return of 20-23 year old forwards. Guys on the verge of really making an impact, but still young enough to be core players in a half dozen years.

Would take Etem or Vatanen and the 10th overall over Oshie. It's a riskier move, but it's a risk this organization needs to take IMO.

Agreed.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
Am I missing something? Is there a reason everyone's talking like a deal with Oshie would be a one-for-one? Given the rumoured price of Kesler (and Spezza, for that matter), wouldn't it more likely be an Oshie + package? Now, I understand some may not want Oshie to be the main piece coming back, but I imagine Oshie is the 50 point roster player to replace Kesler... and youth will come along with him, whether in the form of a pick or prospect. Sure, a young stud would be preferable, but teams aren't lining up to trade their favourite prospects.

arsmaster*

Man, there seems to be a lot of people who have no clue how good tarasenko and Schwarz are.

I would much rather players in this range than the pouliots and Theodore's that people are clamouring for.

If shinkaruk and Horvat develop anywhere close to what these guys are at their ages we should be ecstatic.

One of them and a + is a great return for kesler.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Whoever is trading for Kesler is only concerned about what is to come. In that vein, they should be expecting a 45-55 point 2nd line centre. A far cry from what he was 3-4 years ago.

Loui Eriksson has a nice resume, not unlike Kesler. That doesn't mean he's worth more than Oshie at this point.

Going forward, Oshie is on par with Kesler IMO. Might get an insignificant plus to go with him - wouldn't change the dynamic of the deal much though.

Say what, I'm genuinely interested in how you think Oshie is on par with Kesler?

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Am I missing something? Is there a reason everyone's talking like a deal with Oshie would be a one-for-one? Given the rumoured price of Kesler (and Spezza, for that matter), wouldn't it more likely be an Oshie + package? Now, I understand some may not want Oshie to be the main piece coming back, but I imagine Oshie is the 50 point roster player to replace Kesler... and youth will come along with him, whether in the form of a pick or prospect. Sure, a young stud would be preferable, but teams aren't lining up to trade their favourite prospects.

and we could finally win a shootout!

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
You cannot trade Kesler for a piece that won't be an impact player at this level.

Offer all the prospects you want, I'll take the guy who's already producing and on an upward swing in terms of his career. Etem might never put up more than 30 points. Vatanen could potentially be an undersized defensemen who struggles to produce.

Oshie would seem like a positive addition to the group and gives us a guy that can make others around him better. Kesler was struggling.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Agreed, ideally this team needs renewal from within (draft picks/trades for young players) not lateral vet for vet moves. If an Oshie deal did go down I have to think that Bennett/Linden have their eyes set on a UFA 2C or this team is ****ed and stuck in the no mans land of not good enough and not getting better. I wonder they plan on make a play for Reinhart as 2C (great move) but at 2C it would have cluster **** season written all over it.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Agreed, ideally this team needs renewal from within (draft picks/trades for young players) not lateral vet for vet moves. If an Oshie deal did go down I have to think that Bennett/Linden have their eyes set on a UFA 2C or this team is ****ed and stuck in the no mans land of not good enough and not getting better. I wonder they plan on make a play for Reinhart as 2C (great move) but at 2C it would have cluster **** season written all over it.

A regular rookie, putting aside generational talents, is never going to be a "great move" as a 2C. It's a recipe for disaster. 10 times out of 10.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
A regular rookie, putting aside generational talents, is never going to be a "great move" as a 2C. It's a recipe for disaster. 10 times out of 10.

10 times out of 10? RNH was a 1C as rookie and put up a great season. Of course, the team failed--but I don't think it was because RNH was 1C...

Iridescent*

10 times out of 10? RNH was a 1C as rookie and put up a great season. Of course, the team failed--but I don't think it was because RNH was 1C...

He's not ready for the 1C position, and it was forced on him too early. He looks like a timid little boy out there, he needed to play with some grit on his wings to help him along the outside. Not 2 other kids, one of whom is even softer and weaker than him.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
He's not ready for the 1C position, and it was forced on him too early. He looks like a timid little boy out there, he needed to play with some grit on his wings to help him along the outside. Not 2 other kids, one of whom is even softer and weaker than him.

To be clear, I'm not saying it was ideal or even the right move--but I am saying it wasn't a disaster. And that's as 1C.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
To be clear, I'm not saying it was ideal or even the right move--but I am saying it wasn't a disaster. And that's as 1C.

To be fair, it's not about the player. If a team has to put a rookie at 1C/2C, that team's probably in a bad place.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
When I read the Canucks were interested in Oshie my 1st thought was.......well there's the top 6 winger Florida is reported to be looking for.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Say what, I'm genuinely interested in how you think Oshie is on par with Kesler?

Because Kesler and Oshie appear to be moving in opposite directions and they're 2 and a half years apart in age. Kesler has a lot of hard miles on him and it's really started to show - doesn't skate like he used to IMO and that hurts his effectiveness offensively. Just don't believe Kesler has enough weapons in his offensive arsenal to overcome losing a step.

I would bank on Oshie being the more productive player over the next handful of years. He also brings a good defensive game and is impossible to knock off the puck. He's an enticing winger to be sure, even if I would prefer someone younger.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
When I read the Canucks were interested in Oshie my 1st thought was.......well there's the top 6 winger Florida is reported to be looking for.

Smart man. If we can get Oshie +21st for Kesler then flip our 6th + Oshie to Florida for the first we get a return of the 1st overall and the 21st pick out of Kesler

Oshie has serious health concerns including recent concussion(s). I would only be interested if, as you suggest we convert him into the 1st overall.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Smart man. If we can get Oshie +21st for Kesler then flip our 6th + Oshie to Florida for the first we get a return of the 1st overall and the 21st pick out of Kesler

Oshie has serious health concerns including recent concussion(s). I would only be interested if, as you suggest we convert him into the 1st overall.

Not happening.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
21st or Rattie with Oshie is about all I'd consider. St. Louis is desperate for center ice help. Who knows if Wakey Wakey Backes will ever be the same. If they want Kessler they'd better grease up.

They don't want Kesler enough to overpay. His skill-set is redundant to them. They don't need another Backes, they need a Spezza type.

John Bender*

21st or Rattie with Oshie is about all I'd consider. St. Louis is desperate for center ice help. Who knows if Wakey Wakey Backes will ever be the same. If they want Kessler they'd better grease up.

LOL, not happening.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah I think you guys are overvaluing Kesler here, value wise Oshie for Kes is not that far, not a chance St. Louis adds a 1st, or anything else substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad