Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I really disliked this pick when it was made, and like it even less now. This is one of Botterill's worst pick's in my opinion. What was the point in a low ceiling "safe" defenseman pick at that point. Its like they just had no idea who left in the draft might be good, so they went with a consensus low risk pick. Its was a wasted pick/asset. Should have used it in a trade for a center.

Reactions: sabremike

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I really disliked this pick when it was made, and like it even less now. This is one of Botterill's worst pick's in my opinion. What was the point in a low ceiling "safe" defenseman pick at that point. Its like they just had no idea who left in the draft might be good, so they went with a consensus low risk pick. Its was a wasted pick/asset. Should have used it in a trade for a center.
Agreed. Who does he realistically track to become, a Mark Pysyk type? We may not even be that lucky. Brutal value imo, especially considering the context of this being the crown jewel of the O'Reilly trade.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Agreed. Who does he realistically track to become, a Mark Pysyk type? We may not even be that lucky. Brutal value imo, especially considering the context of this being the crown jewel of the O'Reilly trade.

I imagine the aspiration was getting a Brodin-type, and if that happens, I'll love it. But it's hard to feel excited about this pick.

Last edited:

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
I watched several of his games this year. Great skater who always looks so smooth and calm with the puck in his own zone.

I have no idea if he was the right pick, but I think he is being undervalued on this board.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
And when you think of the high end forwards they could've picked and possibly ended up turning the narrative on the ROR on it's head... Good lord.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They should have just drafted one of the talented forwards that fell into round 2 that many around here were clamoring for when the Sabres were on the clock.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I watched several of his games this year. Great skater who always looks so smooth and calm with the puck in his own zone.

I have no idea if he was the right pick, but I think he is being undervalued on this board.

I said it earlier in the thread and will say it here -- it's highly important to note that Johnson is playing the right side (aka, his off-side). He doesn't look quite comfortable there yet.....but the skill, skating, IQ and positioning still shine. He'll never be a guy who posts big point totals, but he should be a guy who can be relied on at ES and on the PK.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

He's not on the top pair (but a different freshman is, so it's not about him being a freshman) and he doesn't get difficult/heavy usage. And, despite that, he doesn't score. It does not matter how well he skates - that doesn't bode well.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I don't give a f*** how good he is or will become. Picking him was one of Botterill's absolute worst decisions.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I said it earlier in the thread and will say it here -- it's highly important to note that Johnson is playing the right side (aka, his off-side). He doesn't look quite comfortable there yet.....but the skill, skating, IQ and positioning still shine. He'll never be a guy who posts big point totals, but he should be a guy who can be relied on at ES and on the PK.
Didn't we pick a bigger better version of that in Mattias Samuelsson in almost the same spot a year earlier?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This kid will always be defined by who he is not rather than by who he is.

Given his use and his age, having him stay two more years with the Gophers seems easily plausible. He was playing on RD as a left shot and was still his usual solid defensive self in the games I've watched, but he doesn't get a lot of TOI because they do frequently play 7 defensemen.

Reactions: Zman5778

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
This kid will always be defined by who he is not rather than by who he is.

Given his use and his age, having him stay two more years with the Gophers seems easily plausible. He was playing on RD as a left shot and was still his usual solid defensive self in the games I've watched, but he doesn't get a lot of TOI because they do frequently play 7 defensemen.

Sounds like a perfect fit then!

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

As this point I see Johnson as Psysk and Samuelsson as McCabe.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I vaguely remember reports of McCabe in college having good hockey IQ, but I may be mistaken

From Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis
McCabe thinks the game remarkably well for a young player. He has excellent vision and anticipates/follows the play quite well. While his decision-making does need to improve, it should come with development and maturity. What makes McCabe so effective in defensive situations are his stick work and grit. McCabe is a strong skater who has good agility and moves well both north-south and laterally.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds like a perfect fit then!

Even better, he's mostly rotating in on the right side! :biglaugh:

As this point I see Johnson as Psysk and Samuelsson as McCabe.

In terms of role/style, that's a possibility. Both have skills in relatively short supply to the big club, but neither have the most vital skills missing from the prospect pool (goal generation ability) and will always remain defined as such.

For an 18-year old, I have liked what I've seen of him in the UM games. And yeah, I think I would've rather he stayed another year in the USHL to take a jump in his offensive game, being "the man" at the PP and in key offensive situations too rather than trying to keep his head above water in the NCAA's on a deep team. Again, not sure who he got advice or pressure from, but the jump in his offensive game may never happen.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'Nothing' changes for Sabres prospect Ryan Johnson following firings
Steve Greeley says his game improved as the season progressed. He's been working on physical conditioning. He gained about 12 lbs. He only only weighed 175lb when he played last season in college which is too light for a 6'1" dman. Johnson was only 17 when the Sabres drafted him. He still has a lot of upside.

After spending two to three months away from rinks, Johnson resumed his on-ice workouts with Craig, who now works as a development coach with the Los Angeles Kings. They placed an emphasis on improved skating, specifically an efficient stride. Craig wants his son to generate more speed, which will help when defending and shooting the puck.
“There are little things I think he needs to get better at conserving and gliding, so we worked on that a little bit,” said Craig. “We worked on generating more speed on crossovers, his turning. Trying to get a little bit lower and more on top of his skates and we’ve worked on the mental side of it. Different things that happen to a defenseman during a game and how you can counter them. Little things like picking pucks off the wall and making simple plays, deception we’re working on quite a bit. There’s a lot that we’ve been trying to cover.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad