Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
'Nothing' changes for Sabres prospect Ryan Johnson following firings
Steve Greeley says his game improved as the season progressed. He's been working on physical conditioning. He gained about 12 lbs. He only only weighed 175lb when he played last season in college which is too light for a 6'1" dman. Johnson was only 17 when the Sabres drafted him. He still has a lot of upside.

After spending two to three months away from rinks, Johnson resumed his on-ice workouts with Craig, who now works as a development coach with the Los Angeles Kings. They placed an emphasis on improved skating, specifically an efficient stride. Craig wants his son to generate more speed, which will help when defending and shooting the puck.
“There are little things I think he needs to get better at conserving and gliding, so we worked on that a little bit,” said Craig. “We worked on generating more speed on crossovers, his turning. Trying to get a little bit lower and more on top of his skates and we’ve worked on the mental side of it. Different things that happen to a defenseman during a game and how you can counter them. Little things like picking pucks off the wall and making simple plays, deception we’re working on quite a bit. There’s a lot that we’ve been trying to cover.”

Honestly, this is encouraging - i.e., that he's working on skill development with someone who is not affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres organization.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm surprised baker says hes the best D prospect, the way people have been high and samuelsson and even borgen for that matter.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm surprised baker says hes the best D prospect, the way people have been high and samuelsson and even borgen for that matter.
What's surprising about it? Johnson's skating gives him the chance to be a 3/4 if he shows more offensively while Samuelsson and Borgen top out at 5/6. Samuelsson and Borgen are closer to being impactful which is why they're higher on our polls. Hell Samuelsson can probably be an effective 6 this year with high zone starts

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

His skating and hockey IQ make him a really nice prospect to have in the system. Fully developed, he could easily be part of an NHL shutdown pair or the defensive heavy for an offensive partner.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I guess less suprising about Johnson, more about how thoughts have changed on the other 2 guys I mentioned

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I guess less suprising about Johnson, more about how thoughts have changed on the other 2 guys I mentioned

It's projections. I don't think Samuelsson or Borgen ever projected as what Johnson could be. I'd slot Samuelsson in as a 2nd or 3rd pair shutdown defender, a lot like Carlo for Boston. Borgen looks like a bottom pair grit defender, with the added benefit of being a great skater and able to make a solid outlet pass. Maybe a better version of Ian Cole?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
One thing to remember about kid is he just turned 19. Not much is made of it but depending on date you can get close to year age difference -- at 18 that's critical.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
If the season is cancelled he could be signed to a sliding contract and play for rochester next year,
He'd be in way over his head. He's less ready than Nylander who at least had a successful season in the OHL behind him. I think he's at the stage now where he has to have some success and develop confidence. They'll crush his spirit in the AHL.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He'd be in way over his head. He's less ready than Nylander who at least had a successful season in the OHL behind him. I think he's at the stage now where he has to have some success and develop confidence. They'll crush his spirit in the AHL.

Agree. I'd be better if he left college and went to the CHL or a junior league in Sweden.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agree. I'd be better if he left college and went to the CHL or a junior league in Sweden.

The CHL could be in real trouble given the US-Canada border lockdown and the CHL having teams in both countries.

Plus, youth leagues across Canada are pushing things out. Some places are talking about no games in 2020.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The CHL could be in real trouble given the US-Canada border lockdown and the CHL having teams in both countries.

Plus, youth leagues across Canada are pushing things out. Some places are talking about no games in 2020.

he could play USHL. US youth leagues are starting.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
he could play USHL. US youth leagues are starting.

I have a feeling that he will wait and see what happens at Minnesota and then make a decision if/when the NCAA situation plays out.

The USHL is a step back from the NCAA and I doubt you will see players walk away from a scholarship to go to the USHL.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
On BTN today at 4PM against Penn St.

I watched about half of yesterday's game and didn't notice anything notable from Johnson. Minnesota wore white jerseys with yellow numbers and it was annoyingly difficult to tell who was on the ice. The Gophers looked really good overall and won 4-1

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
On BTN today at 4PM against Penn St.

I watched about half of yesterday's game and didn't notice anything notable from Johnson. Minnesota wore white jerseys with yellow numbers and it was annoyingly difficult to tell who was on the ice. The Gophers looked really good overall and won 4-1
I watched 4/5 periods of the series and came away with the same impression.
If I wasn’t specifically watching for him, I probably wouldn’t even have anything to say about him.
Honing in on him, far too many plays died on his stick for my taste.

Big meh of a series. Time to watch Michigan-Wisconsin.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I look forward to seeing him at the WJC

Honestly I liked him at the WJSS when I saw him last year but this really might be the most boring first round pick in history

Reactions: Chainshot

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I watched an entire game against Penn St. and my only impression of Johnson was "He is a defenseman who played a regular shift in this game."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad