Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I watched an entire game against Penn St. and my only impression of Johnson was "He is a defenseman who played a regular shift in this game."
That is how I felt about Lydman. He was a lynchpin for our d-corps. We just need him to be able to handle himself in the dzone and get the puck to our playmakers via controlled zone exits.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Geez. Johnson is only 19. Looking forward to see him on the WJC roster and for a full year at Minnesota. We'll have a better idea when in the spring. He's a great skater and a high IQ defense prospect. Obviously needs to start showing something by way of offense. I can't see writing him off yet

Edit:
I did not watch either game. I did look at the team scoring for the first two games and noted that one defenseman - Staudacher - had 3 points, all assists. None of the other five D have gotten a point

In the first game, Ryan Johnson had 1 shot, 2 blocks and was+1
In the second game, he had 4 shots - two of which were on goal. Also had 4 blocked shots.and was even for the game

Last edited:

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Literally every criticism of the poor guy goes back to :

"Sabres management, for the 2nd year in a row, using their second pick on a lower-offensive ceiling 'safe' D-man, when there were multiple high-potential offensive talents on the board that could help a team which lacks offensive talent"

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

"Sabres management, for the 2nd year in a row, using their second pick on a lower-offensive ceiling 'safe' D-man, when there were multiple high-potential offensive talents on the board that could help a team which lacks offensive talent"
If I remember correctly he was considered a slight reach too, not by much but I think we took him earlier than expected regardless of ceiling

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
If I remember correctly he was considered a slight reach too, not by much but I think we took him earlier than expected regardless of ceiling

You are correct. I checked a few and certainly not all pre- draft rankings and saw him ranked anywhere from 29 to 48. Here's a draft profile I found that makes me think that it is far too early to call him a bust as seems is the direction in which many are leaning - DRAFT: Ryan Johnson Prospect Profile

Reactions: jc17

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He w

He will always have that stigma because of Botterill. Botts was married to poor drafting and targeting safe low ceiling players. I remember Kaliyev being there and convincing myself he was for sure the pick, just like this year with Rossi. Hopefully both pan out to be big contributors

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You are correct. I checked a few and certainly not all pre- draft rankings and saw him ranked anywhere from 29 to 48. Here's a draft profile I found that makes me think that it is far too early to call him a bust as seems is the direction in which many are leaning - DRAFT: Ryan Johnson Prospect Profile

I mean, he's 19 and in his 2nd post-draft season. It's definitely too soon to call him a bust.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Don’t forget most people look just at points. How good of a defenceman he is will be based on how many points he can accumulate, nothing more.:naughty:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
How is Samuelsson doing? Albeit he is a different type of D he seems to have the same fate as Johnson, drafted early in the 2nd round over much needed and more skillfull forwards.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I mean, he's 19 and in his 2nd post-draft season. It's definitely too soon to call him a bust.
I agree that its too soon to call him a bust. But I think people's unhappiness with the pick has been validated so far given that there haven't been a ton of positive things said about him (not many negatives either) from neutral sources.

Meanwhile guys drafted behind him, that Sabres fans wanted like Kaliyev, Brink, Lavioe, Hoglander, Fagemo had strong years, made the WJC, etc.

Every time fans complain about a pick and ignore the other unexciting players selected around that player, I have to roll my eyes. That said, in this case it seems like the players that fans were rallying for have shown more than Johnson. So he's not a bust, but there's nothing to indicate the fans who wanted other players were wrong. Not yet at least

Reactions: sabremike

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Having followed Chad exchanges about Johnson (not just with Lance) I got the following picture of the player out it.

— Good defender who is a good skater with a good first pass but at the moment doesn’t have much to his game offensively. Jury is out if he can change that (offensive game).

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
The most noticeable thing to me was that he was just incredibly low event. He just wasn’t ever involved in the play much, offensively or defensively, despite playing a decent amount of minutes.

Also, definitely not saying he’s a bust. It was a meh series after a long layoff. Just wasn’t impressive, but I expect he’ll be a three or four year guy, so long road ahead.

Reactions: joshjull

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The most noticeable thing to me was that he was just incredibly low event. He just wasn’t ever involved in the play much, offensively or defensively, despite playing a decent amount of minutes.

Also, definitely not saying he’s a bust. It was a meh series after a long layoff. Just wasn’t impressive, but I expect he’ll be a three or four year guy, so long road ahead.

Was he actually playing his correct side, or are they still playing him on the right?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
— Good defender who is a good skater with a good first pass but at the moment doesn’t have much to his game offensively. Jury is out if he can change that (offensive game).

And if that's what he winds up being, that's fine. We've got Dahlin to provide offense, and Risto/Montour/Miller/Joker on the right who can provide some offense.

Not every Dman in our top 6 needs to provide offense.

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
The question is: Does he have bad games? Has anyone ever witnessed a bad game, or a stretch of bad games?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Have to see how his game translates to the pros but it'd be hard to be upset if he turns into a smooth skating 10yr pro

He is a LH Mark Pysyk as a likely best case scenario.

The issue is that the Sabres took that type of player over high impact offensive wingers like Kaliyev and Brink.

Kaliyev was coming off of a 51 goal and 102 point OHL season, Brink had just lit up the USHL as a 17yo, and the Sabres passed on both of them.

It was frustrating then and it is still frustrating now.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
And if that's what he winds up being, that's fine. We've got Dahlin to provide offense, and Risto/Montour/Miller/Joker on the right who can provide some offense.

Not every Dman in our top 6 needs to provide offense.

Yeah, if he can skate and make a clean 1st pass (along with playing solid D), that'll do.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad