Ryan Johansen Watch IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
To a point it's both. When someone is missing time for controllable reasons it hurts everyone. We're at the point where Jarmo needs to completely forget about it and focus on who is there while Zito deals with KO and work quietly. Obviously have his numbers to work with but just have calm negotiations until something works. I dont think it's as bad in the locker room as some people guess. It's been brought up many times but Dubi has been there before with the same agent so i'm sure he knows whats happening. May not like what they are after but knows whats happening

#moveon

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The bolded is a big question. He may not. Joey is certainly worth more than that in my opinion, but he's unable to get it given the nature of the CBA and this front office. So KO should look at $4m x 2 as an acceptable offer because it will get his client under contract and playing for a bigger deal, hopefully negotiated next year, and it will also give him the ability to say that he has set a new precedent with bridge deals.

Another big question, though, is would they ever see that kind of offer. JD has expressly stated that $4m is not money he would offer in this circumstance.

The cba hasn't changed, and your post illustrates that even you now see that. 4 mill 2 years or slightly higher, is where Johan and his agent should have started, and most likely the deal is already done. Instead he has wasted all of training camp asking for 6.75 mill, when everyone including his team knew that wasn't going to happen. He is absolutely hurting himself , and the team. It's one thing to hold out if the team isn't being fair, but every comparable has been in line with where the jackets started their offer. With our top line out, this would have been a chance for Johan to accept a bigger role in leadership, and show management he has matured on the ice, and off. Instead he wants to be a pioneer that changes the current cba. I don't see jarmo/ Jd waivering no matter how we start the season. Their job doesn't rest on this season. If we don't get movement in next day or so, I hope jarmo picks up the phone to see what trade options may be out there .

orthosrgn2

Apr 26, 2007
RyJo and KO have wasted their time. The CBA was arranged to address the structure of RFA's contracts. It was agreed upon by the NHLPA. KO has mesmerized RyJo to believe he could buck a system which is already solidified. In the process, RyJo has exposed himself to disillusioned fans and FO, hurt his team by not participating in the preseason which means he is likely not at his best physical form and his timing has got to be questionable! Yes, he has the right to not sign, but addressing the pros and cons of the decision, he has made a grievous error. Please sign and get this nightmare behind you, start the healing and fill your pockets with the money and or term you deserve on your next contract!

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
The cba hasn't changed, and your post illustrates that even you now see that. 4 mill 2 years or slightly higher, is where Johan and his agent should have started, and most likely the deal is already done. Instead he has wasted all of training camp asking for 6.75 mill, when everyone including his team knew that wasn't going to happen. He is absolutely hurting himself , and the team. It's one thing to hold out if the team isn't being fair, but every comparable has been in line with where the jackets started their offer. With our top line out, this would have been a chance for Johan to accept a bigger role in leadership, and show management he has matured on the ice, and off. Instead he wants to be a pioneer that changes the current cba. I don't see jarmo/ Jd waivering no matter how we start the season. Their job doesn't rest on this season. If we don't get movement in next day or so, I hope jarmo picks up the phone to see what trade options may be out there .
Now you're talking! the CBA which was negotiated and approved by the NHLPA after another contentious negotiation sacrifices the younger players salaries in order to support the established stars who generate the bulk of the money for the league and the players. The Jackets have made an offer which is near the upper bound for a player in this category. The player and agent want to effectively revisit the CBA structure. This is a non-starter and likely a significant reason an offer sheet was not forthcoming. The player has the option to sit, go to the KHL or accept an offer in the range for a player in this category. No more, no less. Time is now to focus on the season #moveon.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

I understand the CBA better now as a result of these threads. It's artificially holding down money that Joey would make if the restrictions weren't there; it's not in my opinion providing a true measure of his worth. But that's what it is, and as has been it's what the players have themselves agreed to. Overhardt coming in so high for bridge compensation was probably a mistake.

But the Jackets from what I've seen of all of this have disappointed me quite a bit in their handling of it and in their long term offers. The restrictions of the CBA provide teams leverage, but they don't actually limit the salaries of RFAs, and the Jackets are lowballing Joey somewhat in their efforts not to set a new precedent. They could come up from their offer.

Joey's numbers last year were tremendous for a 21 year old. I'm not going to use them to suggest he should get paid a certain amount because like many of us I'm tired of arguing that. But I am going to use them to suggest that trading Joey, as you hope, is a terrible idea. Again it appears that these negotiations are affecting people's understanding of the real accomplishments this kid has made.

orthosrgn2

Apr 26, 2007
I for one am in the camp that wants Ryan Johansen here for a looooong time. Unfortunately, his agent, for whatever reason has led him down the rose colored path of thinking he could break through the barrier of RFA contracts, even though this has already been settled by the owners and the NHLPA in the last CBA. Now the negotiations have become contentious and Johansen has missed much valuable time training with his teammates, or honing his skills to prove his ultimate worth. He has also been described as greedy in the eyes of the fans and possibly the Front Office. It is probably only perception, but perception oftentimes is reality.

Ryan has the right to continue this holdout, but his likelihood of realizing much more in remuneration is small. He could accept a contract with the KHL and make more money, but only he knows if that would make him truly happy. Another alternative is to sit out a year. If he is committed to this then he should do so. He should be aware that this takes him from the game he loves and certainly will stunt his outstanding potential, not to mention the 3.25 million he is already expected to collect with his signature.

He should understand that this business as usual for the NHL and not a vendetta created by the CBJ. The rules were made via negotiations between the owners and the NHLPA 2 years ago.

We fans did not make these rules, but we would like to have the best teams iced for our chance to make a run at the Stanley Cup. I am certain Ryan Johansen is an integral part of that plan. As a singular fan, I agree to an extent that players should be paid for their present value, but that is not the system in place. I hope Ryan sees that and when negotiations for the next CBA occur and he is a senior representative to the NHLPA, that he remembers this.

Now.....Can Ryan come out and play???????

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
posts 903 thru 906 have [finally] hit this right on the head...nothing more to read about, compare, argue about...no more stats needed...this has been colossal waste of time and effort...just sign and get in camp for a reasonable price as per the CBA...your teammates and the CBJ fans have waited too long...way too much momentum has been wasted from last season to gain the ultimate prize, the SC...$$ is nice!! but all hockey players will agree, the Cup is what they play for!!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
posts 903 thru 906 have [finally] hit this right on the head...nothing more to read about, compare, argue about...no more stats needed...this has been colossal waste of time and effort...just sign and get in camp for a reasonable price as per the CBA...your teammates and the CBJ fans have waited too long...way too much momentum has been wasted from last season to gain the ultimate prize, the SC...$$ is nice!! but all hockey players will agree, the Cup is what they play for!!

From your keyboard to Joey's ears. :yo:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Unfortunately it appears that Joey has cotton in his ears.

IHeartZherdev*

If we don't get movement in next day or so, I hope jarmo picks up the phone to see what trade options may be out there .

I'm guessing the Avs, Stars, and Canadians are glad they didn't deal O'Reilly, Benn, and Subban during their holdouts.

But maybe they just didn't understand the CBA.

There is no case to be made for trading away our best (non-BOB) player at the start of the season. He's a 22 year old who projects as an elite top line center in this league and the franchise invested huge draft capital in him. You don't give up on that just because of a rocky contract negotiation.

Last edited by a moderator:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well there is a case to be made to trade a guy who refuses to play for your team when offered a contract that is very good and near the high end of the parameters of the CBA. Speaking for me, I would not trade him. I doubt we could get much for him. I am not sure there is any team who wants to part with anyone of value for the honor of putting up with Joey's current act. I would let the SOB sit out the season and let him negatively impact his own career. At some point, assuming Joey is of normal intelligence, he has to realize he has only two options: the CBJ deal or sitting.

IHeartZherdev*

Well there is a case to be made to trade a guy who refuses to play for your team when offered a contract that is very good and near the high end of the parameters of the CBA. Speaking for me, I would not trade him. I doubt we could get much for him. I am not sure there is any team who wants to part with anyone of value for the honor of putting up with Joey's current act. I would let the SOB sit out the season and let him negatively impact his own career. At some point, assuming Joey is of normal intelligence, he has to realize he has only two options: the CBJ deal or sitting.

No there isn't. For the reasons I gave above. PK Subban, Benn, Dubinsky, plenty of other guys "refused to play" for their teams (just an overdramatic way of saying they missed games to a cotnract dispute) and that's not a valid reason to give up on a player. Especially when the franchise has invested so much in him (a high draft pick, 3 years of development)

The CBA doesn't set contract parameters outside of the rookie deals. There is nothing in the CBA that says Joey has to accept a $3 million contract offer as an RFA

He's not an "SOB" and until you have evidence that he has low character you shouldn't refer to him as such

Teams would be lining up to trade for him if he were made available. What is his "current act?" Training hard for the season while his agent works on getting him a new deal? Please.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is no case to be made for trading away our best (non-BOB) player at the start of the season. He's a 22 year old who projects as an elite top line center in this league and the franchise invested huge draft capital in him. You don't give up on that just because of a rocky contract negotiation.

This.

I am not surprised that many fans are vocal in their displeasure with Johansen and his camp (which is not to say I'm in agreement with it). I am kind of surprised that the level of frustration/anger has reached "trade the bum" heights of baseless bitterness.

CentreKeeper12

TheCentreKeeper
May 24, 2009
Columbus, OH
I'm guessing the Avs, Stars, and Canadians are glad they didn't deal O'Reilly, Benn, and Subban during their holdouts.

But maybe they just didn't understand the CBA.

Whats the harm in seeing what potential trades are out there? He never said trade him, just see whats out there. The work out a trade idea worked in the Bob dispute, no reason to not give it a shot here.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
This.

I am not surprised that many fans are vocal in their displeasure with Johansen and his camp (which is not to say I'm in agreement with it). I am kind of surprised that the level of frustration/anger has reached "trade the bum" heights of baseless bitterness.

It is frustrating, but just business. It will get resolved and Joey will be a Jacket for a long time if he keeps developing. Hang tight, sports fans.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Zherdev, to me Joey is an SOB. Deal with it. My team, the Columbus Blue Jackets, are going to be playing at less than their peak potential on Opening Night due to Joey's dumbass contract demands. To me, that makes him an SOB because I am a Jackets fans first.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And no, Zherdev, teams will not be lining up to trade for him at $4.5 million dollars per year on a two year bridge deal. Nor are teams lining up to trade for him on a $50 million dollar 6 year deal. Or a $70 million dollar eight year deal. If there were teams lining up for him, there would be a rumor of at least one offer sheet. Yet nowhere in the league is there even a whisper of anyone wanting to offer to him what Joey is demanding from the CBJ.

Let me be clear. I say don't trade him. Let the SOB sit and damage his career.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Exactly, I didnt say we needed to trade him, I said its time to explore what options are out there. I get the sense that he put these delusional contract demands out there, hoping some team would offer sheet him. Even though Jd threatened they would match, I'm not so sure we would match the 6.75 he initially demanded. If hes still set at 4.5 mill in a 2 year bridge, and the jackets dont give in, I cant imagine the situation improves, or that he doesnt hold a grudge towards management, even though they have contract after contract of comparables, and are on the right side of this. The jackets also offered him a contract long term , right on par with Jeff Skinner, and we all know he turned that down as well. Maybe the right thing to do is wear him down to where he has no choice, try to sign him under a bridge deal, 3.5-3.75 range, and if we get sense he wont resign with us to a long term deal after the first year of the bridge, trade him at that point. I just dont want to lose an asset like Ryjo, for nothing,

IHeartZherdev*

Exactly, I didnt say we needed to trade him, I said its time to explore what options are out there. I get the sense that he put these delusional contract demands out there, hoping some team would offer sheet him. Even though Jd threatened they would match, I'm not so sure we would match the 6.75 he initially demanded. If hes still set at 4.5 mill in a 2 year bridge, and the jackets dont give in, I cant imagine the situation improves, or that he doesnt hold a grudge towards management, even though they have contract after contract of comparables, and are on the right side of this. The jackets also offered him a contract long term , right on par with Jeff Skinner, and we all know he turned that down as well. Maybe the right thing to do is wear him down to where he has no choice, try to sign him under a bridge deal, 3.5-3.75 range, and if we get sense he wont resign with us to a long term deal after the first year of the bridge, trade him at that point. I just dont want to lose an asset like Ryjo, for nothing,

I like how you guys keep obsessing over some phantom $6 million+ number that's not even being asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad