Ryan Johansen II (contract etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Speaking of Jenner, we mise well go in and sign him to a 10 mill per season contract now, because he realized his potential 3 x faster than Joey (meaning his first year), and if Boone can play like that as a rookie, its hard to fathom what he may ask for when his first contract is up:naughty: . Maybe he does the opposite , and is invisible the next 2 years, but uses Joeys reverse logic of ignore my past 2 seasons, look at my first, pay me:D

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm surprised by this discussion. I thought Joey's playoff was self-evidently pretty damn good. And my recollection is that he started up against Malkin a good chunk of the time, though I could be wrong about that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hate to interrupt this summer's edition of "They Eat Their Own - CBJ Edition" but I wonder if it would be possible to have s string of posts here with what people think Johansen's next contract (meaning this contract) should be. Term, dollars, maybe use a comparable (paid like Skinner, for example) or just some parameters. I, if no one else, would be interested. No hyperbole or condescension, please. Jusy what you think it should be.

I went on record early as saying 2 years or 8 years. $5.5 mil AAV either way.

Others?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Hate to interrupt this summer's edition of "They Eat Their Own - CBJ Edition" but I wonder if it would be possible to have s string of posts here with what people think Johansen's next contract (meaning this contract) should be. Term, dollars, maybe use a comparable (paid like Skinner, for example) or just some parameters. I, if no one else, would be interested. No hyperbole or condescension, please. Jusy what you think it should be.

I went on record early as saying 2 years or 8 years. $5.5 mil AAV either way.

Others?

Parameters:

The team wants to do a Kadri like contract. Johansen wants a Nugent-Hopkins like contract.

I personally would have no problems with the Jackets pulling an Edmonton. Last season was a breakout, not a fluke and I think the concerns about what happened in Springfield are overblown.

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
2 years, $5.5 million. Similar to Bob's deal.

Joey gave the Jackets EXACTLY what they wanted on term. They should make the next move and meet him part way on cash.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
said all along 2yrs 5.5m per...

he gets 75/80 pts per, we go 8yrs 64m and move on...

Toews and Kane set the bar higher than that. If Joey puts up those numbers, he WILL demand 10m per. Especially if he's already asking for 7.

They do both have multiple stanley cups, but if Joey keeps at the current trajectory and becomes elite, I would pay him 9-10 mil for 8 years.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not really.

Johansen is 2 years younger than Stepan and has played 105 less NHL regular season games than Stepan.

Last season Johansen's points per 60 minutes ES was 2.22 vs. Stepan's 1.82. On the PP, Johansen led 4.68 to 3.72. That's 22% more productive at ES and 26% more productive on the PP.

In goals scored-a far more important measure-the difference is even more pronounced. Johansen ranked in a tie for 3rd among all NHL centers at 1.32 goals per 60 minutes ES. Stepan was 94th in this very important category at .59 g/60 min ES. Johansen produced at a rate of 2.24 times that of Stepan.

Stepan's first NHL season he scored 45 points and a career best 21 goals. In his 4th season, he has only demonstrated moderate improvement-57 points-from his rookie season. Johansen is demonstrating a much steeper trajectory in his productivity growth and can be reasonably expected to significantly outproduce Stepan over the next 5 years.

Comparing Stepan to Johansen is not fair to Stepan. If Stepan is worth $3 million, then Johansen is worth $5 million bare minimum-on a bridge deal (more longer term).

You ever have a shoulder issue, or have surgery on your shoulder ? We just saw Braxton Miller try to come back to early from a torn labrum, now his recovery time is 9-12 months. I think based on Hortons TRACK RECORD, yes we can look at his body of work and realize that he probably wasnt fully healthy with the shoulder injury. Your insane if you think one season production earns a 6 yr 5.5 mill contract. The league doesnt work that way unless you want to look at Edmonton as an example. And in the past we have been burned by Steve Masons one year wonder, which 4 years later he finally seems to have stabalized. Derek Brassards contract, which he had more production than Johan did, although the should injury could come into play. We had Umbergers contract that many thought we would have to amnesty him. Take Johans benching in the ahl a year ago, out of the equation, and rumors of motivation issues out of the equation, and maybe you could look at Johan's one year. But we cant, and it did happen. I'll be suprised if he gets over 4.5 mill. Initially I thought 5 thru 5.5 but when I started seeing other players comparables, and Stephans production, that number has come down, in my opinion.

Seguin, Skinner and others have earned such contracts based on one year.

Comparing Brassard's 31 game run with Johansen's full season isn't valid. In fact, comparing Johansen to either Brassard or Mason is laughable.

Reread my other post (quoted above) if you think Stepan is a valid comparison. He's not.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Fro's idea for contract is likely going to be in the ballpark of what the final result will be, maybe a little more or less (Like 5.6 or 5.4 or something close) The question is how long will it take before they get to the numbers themselves.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
A Contract similar to Bob's bridge is fair but I can't help but think that Joeys agent (who negotiated Dubys contract) figures that Dubys sets a standard of sorts in that Joey should make more than Duby

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I have two guestions:
1. Is it December first RFA's have to be signed by
before being ineligible to play the season?
2. What would happen next summer if RyJo
doesnt sign/get a contract now/this season?
would he be a free agent next July?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I have two guestions:

Yes, if not signed by December 1, he will be ineligible to play for the rest of the season. This would be beyond idiotic on the part of both parties and I don't think we'll come close to that happening.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I have two guestions:

1) Yes.

2) Nothing except a continuation of the current situation. Even if he signs overseas, he wouldn't be eligible for Group 4 (defected RFA) status. He'd be a year older, with three years of NHL service, and still Group 2.

The only way that it could change would be if he's out of Columbus for so long that the team decides to terminate his rights, which would immediately make him a UFA. That's highly unlikely to happen, and I think the last guy who it happened to (with the CBJ) was Alexander Svitov three years after he went back to Russia and indicated that he was done with the NHL.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Seguin, Skinner and others have earned such contracts based on one year.

Comparing Brassard's 31 game run with Johansen's full season isn't valid. In fact, comparing Johansen to either Brassard or Mason is laughable.

Reread my other post (quoted above) if you think Stepan is a valid comparison. He's not.

We already know who disagrees with whom and about what. And while you may have posted it elsewhere, I've forgotten, so... what are the terms you would sign Johansen to?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure I've been in the 5.5 for 2 years camp all along. That
is where I think it should be.

From the numbers in today's Dispatch it might be closer to 5.

The Blue Jackets and Overhardt have agreed to pursue a two-year contract term, but that has been the only common ground since talks started in the spring. The sides are about $3 million apart per season, with the club offering $3.5 million and Overhardt seeking about $6.5 million.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/09/10/johansen-talks-likely-to-resume.html

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
stoked to have a front row seat for all of it to play out this weekend...

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3m
Negotiations between #CBJ mgmt and Ryan Johansen's agent expected to resume this weekend in Traverse City, Mich.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I'm pretty sure I've been in the 5.5 for 2 years camp all along. That
is where I think it should be.

From the numbers in today's Dispatch it might be closer to 5.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/09/10/johansen-talks-likely-to-resume.html

And this from the same article.

If Johansen, a restricted free agent, isn’t signed by next Wednesday, he will be asked to vacate his space in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room at Nationwide Arena and to stay away from the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad