Rumor: Ryan Johansen available "maybe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
pay more and get Stamkos ?

If we get Stamkos we cannot rebuild anymore. We aren't getting younger with Stamkos on the team either.

I'd pass on both.

Just rebuild grab as many draft picks as you can and once you see the light at the end of tunnel. Then, and only then, go for a big signing/trade.

That is what Chicago did with Hossa
That is what Buffalo did with RoR
That is what LA did with Carter

This works.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
If we get Stamkos we cannot rebuild anymore. We aren't getting younger with Stamkos on the team either.

I'd pass on both.

Just rebuild grab as many draft picks as you can and once you see the light at the end of tunnel. Then, and only then, go for a big signing/trade.

That is what Chicago did with Hossa
That is what Buffalo did with RoR
That is what LA did with Carter

This works.

Yes.

Tank for 2 years

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
:laugh:

Oh man.

No to Johansen
No to Stamkos

let's hope we get good draft picks.

Uhh...you do realize that we are HOPING we can draft guys this good. In Stamkos's case he's one of the best players in the entire league.

:facepalm:

Spice Trader

Jan 5, 2012
Victoria
If we can get RyJo for Tanev plus secondary pieces...

2nds
Anyone not names Horvat McCann and virtanen we have to do it.

Talent and size like that dont come up often.

Anyone we draft in the first 10 picks we are hoping becomes that good. If we get him we draft a dman.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Oh man.

No to Johansen
No to Stamkos

Uhh...you do realize that we are HOPING we can draft guys this good. In Stamkos's case he's one of the best players in the entire league.

It's not that I'm against Stamkos but he's not a 12M player and that's what he's rumoured to want. It's doubtful he takes any kind of discount to play in Vancouver given that were not contenders.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

Oh man.

No to Johansen
No to Stamkos

I think the point is that we will end up in a similar position to what we are in now. In order to trade for Stamkos/Johansen, we have to give a lot of skilled youth back. So in essence, in a few years, we will have stars past their primes trying to carry a roster full of rookies. Johansen may be more appealing simply because he is only a few years older than the likes of Horvat and McCann, etc. But If we have to trade them away to get him, then it becomes a 5-6 year gap between the next group of skilled players after RyJo.

Yes to Signing Stamkos as a FA. No to trading away 3+ youth/prospects/picks to get either of these guys.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's not that I'm against Stamkos but he's not a 12M player and that's what he's rumoured to want. It's doubtful he takes any kind of discount to play in Vancouver given that were not contenders.

Dang, 12M per for...like 8 years or something?? Is that what Stammer is looking to get?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Tough to say what he would want, but with a rising cap $12M isn't out of the question (and had we managed the cap properly instead of giving out stupid deals to Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett, and Sutter maybe we could afford this easily).

Assuming we could work out a sign and trade I'd be very interested in Stamkos.

I think the point is that we will end up in a similar position to what we are in now. In order to trade for Stamkos/Johansen, we have to give a lot of skilled youth back. So in essence, in a few years, we will have stars past their primes trying to carry a roster full of rookies. Johansen may be more appealing simply because he is only a few years older than the likes of Horvat and McCann, etc. But If we have to trade them away to get him, then it becomes a 5-6 year gap between the next group of skilled players after RyJo.

Yes to Signing Stamkos as a FA. No to trading away 3+ youth/prospects/picks to get either of these guys.

Obviously it depends on the cost, but outright saying no to these guys is downright stupid. You don't get this kind of elite talent through the draft unless you have a top 5 pick and are lucky, or are extremely good and lucky with a later pick which we've proven we really aren't.

I don't know that Stamkos would necessarily require a whole bunch of youth going to Tampa. Tampa is a team going for a Cup now. Sure they might want one young piece like a Horvat or McCann, but I could see them wanting some vets as well. Maybe something around Horvat, Edler, Vrbata, 1st round pick?

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Tough to say what he would want, but with a rising cap $12M isn't out of the question (and had we managed the cap properly instead of giving out stupid deals to Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett, and Sutter maybe we could afford this easily).

Putting the cart before the horse here, but would you split the Sedin's on the PP, have Henrik with Stamkos and Daniel with McCann? If I was coach, I would.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Johansen... maybe. I can stomach giving up two good assets one of which would be Horvat/McCann, but NOT three including a 1st, which is what it would almost certainly take.

Stamkos... never. Production is dipping and I've no desire to pay monstrous sum for past glory achieved in another team's colors.

Wait until we have the semblance of a future core, performing as such, and only then add proven vets for futures. We're 2-3 years away from that at the earliest.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I'm sold on the argument that we should pass on expensive, prime aged players. I don't think you can win a cup taking a piecemeal approach to talent.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Obviously it depends on the cost, but outright saying no to these guys is downright stupid. You don't get this kind of elite talent through the draft unless you have a top 5 pick and are lucky, or are extremely good and lucky with a later pick which we've proven we really aren't.

I don't know that Stamkos would necessarily require a whole bunch of youth going to Tampa. Tampa is a team going for a Cup now. Sure they might want one young piece like a Horvat or McCann, but I could see them wanting some vets as well. Maybe something around Horvat, Edler, Vrbata, 1st round pick?

Honesty if Stamkos is gonna get traded and Tampa gets a boatload of young talent in return (in addition to what they already have) I'd *love* to see Vancouver explore sending them the Sedins to "replace" Stamkos in the short term for their cup aspirations. We then get a boatload of their young offensive talent back and the rebuild accelerates drastically.

Rather that than try to acquire Stamkos who, while an elite talent, is (edit) *somewhat out of sync with the age of the 'next core'. Though he would look stunning on a line with McCann and could really be an actually useful mentor to the kid.

Still say no to trading for him and as a UFA we have zero chance on him.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Johansen... maybe. I can stomach giving up two good assets one of which would be Horvat/McCann, but NOT three including a 1st, which is what it would almost certainly take.

Stamkos... never. Production is dipping and I've no desire to pay monstrous sum for past glory achieved in another team's colors.

Wait until we have the semblance of a future core, performing as such, and only then add proven vets for futures. We're 2-3 years away from that at the earliest.

Yeah, I'd like a couple examples of where rebuilding teams traded their first round picks and their best young players for a struggling star ... and it turned out to be a positive.

It would be great to have Johansen, but getting him would set the club back years. You want to be trading your vets for picks, the more the better. It's pick volume that gives teams the best chance at drafting well, and as far as I can recall, the Canucks have almost never had a decent season of volume drafting. At best, they have the same number of picks as there are rounds.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Honesty if Stamkos is gonna get traded and Tampa gets a boatload of young talent in return (in addition to what they already have) I'd *love* to see Vancouver explore sending them the Sedins to "replace" Stamkos in the short term for their cup aspirations. We then get a boatload of their young offensive talent back and the rebuild accelerates drastically.

Rather that than try to acquire Stamkos who, while an elite talent, is (edit) *somewhat out of sync with the age of the 'next core'. Though he would look stunning on a line with McCann and could really be an actually useful mentor to the kid.

Still say no to trading for him and as a UFA we have zero chance on him.

I just can't imagine any scenario where Stamkos would choose to play for the Canucks .. given their present build and the architects of it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Stamkos at 7x7 or 8x6 or 9x6 whatever would be amazing. But he's going to command 10+ and he just doesn't provide that value.
10-12 million I'd want malkin, Tavares, seguin level C. Stamkos is just a tier below the top C's.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I have a feeling the Canucks are going to go after guys like Byfuglien or Lucic at a lower dollar value before they go after Stamkos

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I just can't imagine any scenario where Stamkos would choose to play for the Canucks .. given their present build and the architects of it.

Agreed. There's simply nothing that puts us even in the discussion let alone as a front runner for him.

Want to win a cup? We're further away than the Oilers.

Want to play close to home? That's gonna be Toronto.

Want a big payday? There'll be a number of teams with bigger appetites and more cap space than us next summer.

It's pure fantasy to talk about him as a UFA option or even a trade & sign possibility.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Agreed. There's simply nothing that puts us even in the discussion let alone as a front runner for him.

Want a big payday? There'll be a number of teams with bigger appetites and more cap space than us next summer.

It's pure fantasy to talk about him as a UFA option or even a trade & sign possibility.

Agree on all points.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

2011 Canucks prob couldn't even attract him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad