Player Discussion Ryan Hartman

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A lot of guys, but few faceoff wins. That's part of our PP problem. First thing our PP does is lose the faceoff, then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to regain the zone.

It's not always about how many face offs you win, but which ones... we tend to lose all the key draws.
Yeah, it seems that our best FO guys lose against their best FO guys more often than not, but I can't back up that feeling with stats.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, it seems that our best FO guys lose against their best FO guys more often than not, but I can't back up that feeling with stats.
Not sure if there is an advanced stat the breaks down face offs based on game impact. Those are the ones I feel we lose most... hence the key draws comment. Unfortunately, not all face offs end up equal in value.

Reactions: 57special

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The nice thing is that guys like Hartman give us depth. If Rossi comes in and surprises, then we’ve got a lot of guys next season that can play the middle [Rossi, Ek, Hartman, Gaudreau, Jost, Dewar, Bjugstad(?)].

Still weak, but we’ve also probably got one of the top winger groups in the league. The problem is going to be losing Fiala/Dumba. Losing Fiala means our wingers can’t effectively prop up guys like Hartman and Gaudreau. Losing Dumba means we’ve got guys like Addison/Middleton getting more significant minutes than they should.

Outside of JEE (2C) I want none of those players as centers on my top 3 FWD lines. Jost, Dewar, Bjugstad, and Freddy G are all pressbox quality players. Rossi is a rookie who may or may not even make the team out of camp. Hartman is Hartman and isn't really that good at center.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Well considering the JEE and Hartman were the centers with the most PP time and their combined FO% for the season was 46.3% (2609 total FOs) it's a pretty safe bet.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not sure if there is an advanced stat the breaks down face offs based on game impact. Those are the ones I feel we lose most... hence the key draws comment. Unfortunately, not all face offs end up equal in value.
Basically, i think our best FO guys(Sturm, Gaudreau) tend to win against the other teams worst FO guys. Our worst FO guys tend to lose.draw against the other team's worst FO guys.

I feel like this can be coached up a little bit, and is one of the details (together with the special teams) that Evason and his staff have been failing on.
FO's aren't everything, but they are a thing, and this team needs to improve there.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Basically, i think our best FO guys(Sturm, Gaudreau) tend to win against the other teams worst FO guys. Our worst FO guys tend to lose.draw against the other team's worst FO guys.

I feel like this can be coached up a little bit, and is one of the details (together with the special teams) that Evason and his staff have been failing on.
FO's aren't everything, but they are a thing, and this team needs to improve there.
I think a big part of faceoffs is the 50/50 wins that wingers need to do more.

Reactions: TaLoN and 57special

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
absolutely...great point.
its one thing i have noticed quite a bit watching the playoffs, tampa seems to have their wingers jump to the middle behind the dot and try to block the opposition along with grab and feed the point quickly for that faceoff win. ill be honest i dont just hone in on that and look for this but it does seem that they have a much higher team effort to winning faceoffs over the wild seemingly hoping the center just draws it back to the d perfectly each time while the wings watch and wait.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
its one thing i have noticed quite a bit watching the playoffs, tampa seems to have their wingers jump to the middle behind the dot and try to block the opposition along with grab and feed the point quickly for that faceoff win. ill be honest i dont just hone in on that and look for this but it does seem that they have a much higher team effort to winning faceoffs over the wild seemingly hoping the center just draws it back to the d perfectly each time while the wings watch and wait.

The Wild d-men don't jump up to grab pucks either. They seem to be further off the dot in the o-zone than most other teams too. The puck will be pushed back, but they just stand flat footed looking at it.

The FO is a coaching/practice thing. Yes the center needs to do his part to win it, but so does the other 4 skaters on the ice. This can be done in (optional) morning skates with whoever shows up.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Outside of JEE (2C) I want none of those players as centers on my top 3 FWD lines. Jost, Dewar, Bjugstad, and Freddy G are all pressbox quality players. Rossi is a rookie who may or may not even make the team out of camp. Hartman is Hartman and isn't really that good at center.
Obviously you wouldn’t want any of them in an optimal situation, but I’ll take Rossi, Gaudreau, and Hartman at a combined cap hit under $4M. Them being competent enough to perform with skilled wingers is huge to remaining competitive. Getting that level of production for a cap hit less than Rask is incredible value.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Obviously you wouldn’t want any of them in an optimal situation, but I’ll take Rossi, Gaudreau, and Hartman at a combined cap hit under $4M. Them being competent enough to perform with skilled wingers is huge to remaining competitive. Getting that level of production for a cap hit less than Rask is incredible value.

So beat up bad teams, hope to get lucky against good teams, and 1st round exit again?

Kaprizov and GREEF can only carry the team so far.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So beat up bad teams, hope to get lucky against good teams, and 1st round exit again?

Kaprizov and GREEF can only carry the team so far.
It’s all about getting hot at the right time & staying relatively healthy. The team got banged up bad at the end of the season with a very condensed schedule. Dumba, Spurgeon, and Zucc were very significant players to get hurt late. We then drew the 3rd best team in the West despite having 113 points. It was a shit draw.

Team should’ve capitalized on Game 4, but Fiala unfortunately disappeared off the map and we only had one dangerous scoring line. If he played with the same momentum he had to finish out the season, then that series is won in 5.

If the cap is rising sooner than expected by the 23-24 or 24-25 season, then I think this team should do everything in their power to remain competitive. Im just not sure Guerin is going to be successful at getting us there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It’s all about getting hot at the right time & staying relatively healthy. The team got banged up bad at the end of the season with a very condensed schedule. Dumba, Spurgeon, and Zucc were very significant players to get hurt late. We then drew the 3rd best team in the West despite having 113 points. It was a shit draw.

Team should’ve capitalized on Game 4, but Fiala unfortunately disappeared off the map and we only had one dangerous scoring line. If he played with the same momentum he had to finish out the season, then that series is won in 5.

If the cap is rising sooner than expected by the 23-24 or 24-25 season, then I think this team should do everything in their power to remain competitive. Im just not sure Guerin is going to be successful at getting us there.

It's not like the 2nd round would have been any easier. We won't have to worry about Fiala not being white hot next year. No team is healthy for the Playoffs. It'll be the same every season getting the 1st-4th best team in the West in the 1st round of the Playoffs, unless they somehow end up as the Wild Card that plays the Pacific. It's just the disparity between the quality of the Central and the Pacific Divisions.

The team played with fire all season, relying way too much on Kaprizov to be amazing and/or their 6v5 play to get into OT.

Just a break down of the Playoff teams in the West record:

Pacific-total of 9 games: 5 reg win, 3 reg loss, 1 OT win
CGY: 3 games: 0 reg wins, 2 reg losses, 1 OT win
EDM: 3 games: 3 reg wins
LA: 3 games: 2 reg wins, 1 reg loss

Central- total of 15 games: 2 reg win, 7 reg loss, 3 OT win, 3 OT loss.
COL: 4 games: 1 reg win (throw away game for COL), 1 reg loss, 1 OT loss, 1 OT win
STL: 3 games: 0 reg win, 1 reg loss, 2 OT loss
DAL: 4 games: 1 reg win, 2 reg loss, 1 OT win
NSH: 4 games: 0 reg win 3 reg loss, 1 OT win

It wasn't just STL was a bad draw for MN. Of the 5 possible teams MN could have played in the 1st round (if the Central standings fell differently) they had a combined record of 2 reg win, 9 reg loss, 4 OT wins, 3 OT losses. That is a 2:1 loss to win ratio. It's even uglier once the gimmick 3v3/SO hockey is eliminated and realize they were 2-9 in games that ended in regulation (normal 5v5), and one of those wins the other team sat it's best players.

Yay for a great season of beating up bad teams, but not beating the teams that matter.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The Wild d-men don't jump up to grab pucks either. They seem to be further off the dot in the o-zone than most other teams too. The puck will be pushed back, but they just stand flat footed looking at it.

The FO is a coaching/practice thing. Yes the center needs to do his part to win it, but so does the other 4 skaters on the ice. This can be done in (optional) morning skates with whoever shows up.
that also frustrates the hell out of me. we worry so much about defense it seems that we refuse to jump up and get that puck a lot. our first step is always backwards.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Whoa Ryan, you're touching her butt! Save it for the bedroom. Players these days have no respect.

Seriously, very happy for them both. I hope they go the distance.
I mean, I'd touch her butt too...

Who doesn't like butt touches? (consensual)

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Could face a long suspension, according to Russo. It's not the first time.

Personally I can't stand Hartman, such a dirty player.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I’d guess he gets 2 games because we know the dops only really cares about whether a star player was injured

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only reason he's getting any games is because he's a "repeat offender". This was pretty mundane as far as "slew foots" go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad