Player Discussion Ryan Hartman

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Someone posted this in the Kaprizov thread on the main board, but the scoring chance at the end is a good snapshot of why Hartman fits on that line.

As near as I can tell, when Kaprizov goes down to get that puck he last sees Hartman skating up the LW boards. When he turns and snaps it into the slot it's right on Hartman's stick. Hartman gets it.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Hartman is shooting a ton more this year. Currently averaging 3.65 shots/game compared to his career average of 1.76 shots/game. For context if he keeps this pace he will beat his season high by 129 shots.

Someone told this man to shoot more.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Talk about a guy that just gets how to play no matter what line he's on. Especially on that top line with two players with high level to elite level vision and passing. Get to the slot, draw defenders to you to create space for your wingers, when you see an opening create some separation and be ready for one of them to immediately find you for a quality chance. I doubt he stays on pace for his 45 or whatever goals, but 30+ should be a realistic floor for him this season if he stays between those two.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Not that it is the greatest stat, but I noticed that Hartman leads the NHL at +22

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Hartman's 10 shots in the last game is one off from tying the franchise record.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The guy was a 1st round draft pick. Maybe he is just finally playing like a 1st round draft pick?

Some players take longer to develop than others. He's South Carolina-born. Had he grown up in Canada maybe his transition to a NHL 30-goal scorer would have been more swift. I like the guy. I always root for Americans to succeed in this league.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I was down on Hartman for a few games, but outside of the points his game has settled in again. Has become even niftier and confident holding and handling the puck as well as making plays for others than even when he was putting up his highest point pace at the beginning of the season.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Guy in charge of the music needs to get some Surfin Bird by the Trashmen in honor of Hartman middle digit…..

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
wonder if he is able to repeat next year and if he will get back to killing penalties again, or if they wanna keep him as an offensive weapon.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
wonder if he is able to repeat next year and if he will get back to killing penalties again, or if they wanna keep him as an offensive weapon.
He produced well with Kap, but long term we shouldn't be counting on him as a top line center.

He was completely invisible in the playoffs. He is serviceable playing there now, as we don't have anyone else... but you won't win a cup of he's your top center.

I wouldn't call him an offensive weapon, I'd call him a sneaky unexpected surprise when playing next to someone like Kaprizov. He doesn't usually generate that kind of offense without someone of that caliber. He can't really drive offense himself unless he's in the bottom 6, then he drives it against weaker competition.

So yeah, he's serviceable for now, and a bargain at his salary, but we should be looking to upgrade down the road for sure.

Reactions: EXTRAS

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What did he have, 5 points in six games? The guy was a massive plus for us during the season considering his cap hit. He is the least of our problems. I will not be in a hurry to replace him on the first line unless and until Rossi earns his spot. I think hes a better fit with Boldy next year if he is even ready for the NHL.
There are only so many, no doubt, #1C’s in the NHL. Until we get one, we make do with found gold like Hartman.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What did he have, 5 points in six games? The guy was a massive plus for us during the season considering his cap hit. He is the least of our problems. I will not be in a hurry to replace him on the first line unless and until Rossi earns his spot. I think hes a better fit with Boldy next year if he is even ready for the NHL.
There are only so many, no doubt, #1C’s in the NHL. Until we get one, we make do with found gold like Hartman.
Like I said he's serviceable for now. That said, until we get someone better in that spot (and others), we're not likely going to have a cup chance. We're a very weak team down the middle.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Like I said he's serviceable for now. That said, until we get someone better in that spot (and others), we're not likely going to have a cup chance. We're a very weak team down the middle.
The nice thing is that guys like Hartman give us depth. If Rossi comes in and surprises, then we’ve got a lot of guys next season that can play the middle [Rossi, Ek, Hartman, Gaudreau, Jost, Dewar, Bjugstad(?)].

Still weak, but we’ve also probably got one of the top winger groups in the league. The problem is going to be losing Fiala/Dumba. Losing Fiala means our wingers can’t effectively prop up guys like Hartman and Gaudreau. Losing Dumba means we’ve got guys like Addison/Middleton getting more significant minutes than they should.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The nice thing is that guys like Hartman give us depth. If Rossi comes in and surprises, then we’ve got a lot of guys next season that can play the middle [Rossi, Ek, Hartman, Gaudreau, Jost, Dewar, Bjugstad(?)].

Still weak, but we’ve also probably got one of the top winger groups in the league. The problem is going to be losing Fiala/Dumba. Losing Fiala means our wingers can’t effectively prop up guys like Hartman and Gaudreau. Losing Dumba means we’ve got guys like Addison/Middleton getting more significant minutes than they should.
A lot of guys, but few faceoff wins. That's part of our PP problem. First thing our PP does is lose the faceoff, then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to regain the zone.

It's not always about how many face offs you win, but which ones... we tend to lose all the key draws.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
A lot of guys, but few faceoff wins. That's part of our PP problem. First thing our PP does is lose the faceoff, then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to regain the zone.

It's not always about how many face offs you win, but which ones... we tend to lose all the key draws.
Yeah, I was going to mention the FOs. We need Koivu to host a summer camp for our centers that focuses solely on FOs. That may result in them getting kicked out of the dot even more than they already do.

A poor FO team that struggles on PP zone entries is never going to be successful. Ek has made improvements on his FOs every season which is a positive sign though. Granlund would’ve been a really nice acquisition for the PP, but he was never coming back.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, I was going to mention the FOs. We need Koivu to host a summer camp for our centers that focuses solely on FOs. That may result in them getting kicked out of the dot even more than they already do.

A poor FO team that struggles on PP zone entries is never going to be successful. Ek has made improvements on his FOs every season which is a positive sign though. Granlund would’ve been a really nice acquisition for the PP, but he was never coming back.
We could do with more guys trying to skirt the grey areas in the dot to get more wins. That's why we all never complained... really, about his getting kicked out so often. The cost/ benefits of his faceoff methods were so much more beneficial it was crazy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad