Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Hamilton called up

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
THANK YOU.... he's only been scoring every Marlies game for 2 years now. Give him ice time and let him get comfortable and you have a big bodied scoring forward...he's still pretty young, 27 I think?

Be living the dream if he pans out and added bonus if not, the Islanders will take him and use him off waivers. I know he has been of great service to the Marlies for years and thats about all.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Something is up. This doesn't make sense unless it's the precursor to another move.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Leafs are really fixed on the wing, I don't see a point in this unless Nonis wants to showcase Hamilton. Either that or Nonis really wants Hamilton in the NHL in one capacity or another. We could have called up Colborne instead and put one of the Cs (other than Kadri) on the Wing.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Seeing how theres no suspension yet, I have no idea why the leafs are doing this. It kind of shows that they think a suspension is deserving.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I'm confused by this.

We could easily lose our Marlies captain when he eventually gets sent back down. Couldn't we just have moved up Komarov, Frattin, McClement, or Mac and put Frazer back in?

Are we about to trade someone? I don't like the sound of this at all.

Can someone comment on the waiver rules that could apply here. Hamilton was called up before and returned to the Marlies, so did he clear waiver at that time to be sent down or was he replacing someone on an emergency basis which may have exempted the waiver requirement? Is there anyway to interpret his place on the roster now as replacing Lupul(if he's suspended) on an emergency basis given that the Leafs have an available roster spot?

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
We went from 13 forwards, 8 defencemen, and 2 goalies to 14 forwards, 7 defencemen, and 2 goalies.

SWEET MARY JOSEPH

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Seeing how theres no suspension yet, I have no idea why the leafs are doing this. It kind of shows that they think a suspension is deserving.

Even still, why call up the captain and leading scorer of the Marlies if he's waiver eligible unless he is here to stay, which means someone else is on the way out.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Me thinks we already got word that Lups will be missing games.

Or seeing that Mac is a pending UFA we could be looking at movement on that front.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Anyone thinking he will be in for Orr tonight even if Lupul isn't suspended? McClement and Komarov played 11ish minutes last night and Orr only played around 5. Maybe they want to use the full 4th line a bit more tonight?

snizzbone*

So will he have to be on waivers to be sent down or no? If he does, something has to be up.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
So will he have to be on waivers to be sent down or no? If he does, something has to be up.

Could be several factors:

- Could have hit the vereran limit on the AHL team with Komi being sent down
- Lupul Suspension Fill-in
- Wanted to reward Hamilton's strong play with some NHL salary while we have an open roster spot
- Inject skill into the bottom 6 for the last part of the season (fighters aren't exactly playoff performers)

Also, I might add that nobody is likely to claim Hamilton after the deadline anyway since they cannot be added to the roster. Moot point really.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Could be several factors:

- Could have hit the vereran limit on the AHL team with Komi being sent down
- Lupul Suspension Fill-in
- Wanted to reward Hamilton's strong play with some NHL salary while we have an open roster spot
- Inject skill into the bottom 6 for the last part of the season (fighters aren't exactly playoff performers)

Also, I might add that nobody is likely to claim Hamilton after the deadline anyway since they cannot be added to the roster. Moot point really.

Yups to all 4 points, well unsure about #1.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Kadri-MacArthur
Frattin-Grabovski-Hamilton
Komarov-McClement-Orr

I'd roll it like that tbh.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Even still, why call up the captain and leading scorer of the Marlies if he's waiver eligible unless he is here to stay, which means someone else is on the way out.

He is an AHL player. It makes no difference as to whether or not Leafs lose him.

They weren't going to call Holzer back up because they want him to play and get his game back. They could call-up Colborne or D'Amigo but they wouldn't see much playing time as Hamilton is likely to be an extra forward most of the time. They could call up Zigomanis but Hamilton is more worthy of a call-up.

The roster had an open spot and it was filled by calling up Hamilton. Not everything means "dominoes!!!!"

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Good for him. Was hoping he'd get a call up to the big club sometime this season. Physical, digs the trenches, and a good leader obviously. I just hope we don't lose him on waivers if he's sent back down and the tweet posted earlier is indeed correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad