Ryan Graves

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was actually quite shocked to see that Graves when he was boarding the plane for Edmonton--maybe it was the outfit he was wearing but dude was built like a twig. There are basketball players that have more bulk on them than he does. But...just goes to show you what a big guy is like in the NHL vs. what they are in other sports.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I was actually quite shocked to see that Graves when he was boarding the plane for Edmonton--maybe it was the outfit he was wearing but dude was built like a twig. There are basketball players that have more bulk on them than he does. But...just goes to show you what a big guy is like in the NHL vs. what they are in other sports.

He might just have one of those frames where it’s hard to put muscle on.

It wouldn’t hurt for him to add some weight. I found it really interesting against St. Louis, he threw everything he had into a check against Blais and Blais didn’t budge. But, then Makar who is much smaller hit Blais and knocked him down a couple times.

I haven’t noticed Graves too much the last couple games, which probably means he’s doing his job fine.

Reactions: Perratrooper

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He might just have one of those frames where it’s hard to put muscle on.

It wouldn’t hurt for him to add some weight. I found it really interesting against St. Louis, he threw everything he had into a check against Blais and Blais didn’t budge. But, then Makar who is much smaller hit Blais and knocked him down a couple times.

I haven’t noticed Graves too much the last couple games, which probably means he’s doing his job fine.
Yup I haven't either and I think that's a good thing as well. I think somewhat in general if you don't notice a defenseman that's a good thing, unless we're talking about OFD.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've noticed him. Pretty much par for the course--makes some good plays, uses his frame to win some puck battles, but also has the occassional WTF turnover or loses position on the guy he's covering. He's also been good about jumping into the play, as demonstrated by his goal the other night.

Where I feel like he's gotten better over the break is on the PK, or at least less noticeable.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've noticed him. Pretty much par for the course--makes some good plays, uses his frame to win some puck battles, but also has the occassional WTF turnover or loses position on the guy he's covering. He's also been good about jumping into the play, as demonstrated by his goal the other night.

Where I feel like he's gotten better over the break is on the PK, or at least less noticeable.

Completely subjective, but I have had less of the thought; "mFer, just give Makar the puck, tf are you doing?"

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Completely subjective, but I have had less of the thought; "mFer, just give Makar the puck, tf are you doing?"

Well, I think part of that is the fact that Cale still doesn't look quite right, and has had a few head-slapping turnovers of his own. THAT SAID, I think he's been largely very good, just not quite Cale-like just yet. Graves has done a good job taking some of the pressure off him, a team can't just zero in on #8 and contain the Avs in the zone.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Gravy definitely gets the award for most improved Av. He's actually a pretty reliable mid pairing defender now. He's obviously over his head a bit on the top pair but he's actually held his own their this year. Good for him he always seemed like a nice guy.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well, I think part of that is the fact that Cale still doesn't look quite right, and has had a few head-slapping turnovers of his own. THAT SAID, I think he's been largely very good, just not quite Cale-like just yet. Graves has done a good job taking some of the pressure off him, a team can't just zero in on #8 and contain the Avs in the zone.

Yeah I don't have a problem with Graves starting the play if it is needed, but when he would pinch constantly, or start the play with no pressure in our zone I hated it. Basically the only thing I didn't like at times.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Graves has been pretty steady so far. A couple miscues but he's kept it simple and stayed within his role. Liked his game against Dallas especially.

They need one of Graves, Zadorov, or Cole to step their game up in the playoffs. So far Graves has played the best of the three, but these aren't quite playoff intensity games yet.

Reactions: LTC Pain and klozge

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
How about 3 years at 3.7M AAV for Graves?

I thought he was shaky to start the playoffs, but has settled back into his regular season form the last few games. A three year deal allows the Avs to remain patient with Byram, if necessary. Even if he’s eventually playing on the bottom pair and PK’ing it’s not that much of an overpayment.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I thought he was shaky to start the playoffs, but has settled back into his regular season form the last few games. A three year deal allows the Avs to remain patient with Byram, if necessary. Even if he’s eventually playing on the bottom pair and PK’ing it’s not that much of an overpayment.

Ya I'd be okay with that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

If he takes that I'd be thrilled. But when an offensive black hole like Cody Ceci is somehow inexplicably making $4 million (and seeking to get a raise this offseason) I think Graves' market value will be a tad higher.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If he takes that I'd be thrilled. But when an offensive black hole like Cody Ceci is somehow inexplicably making $4 million (and seeking to get a raise this offseason) I think Graves' market value will be a tad higher.

Ceci also has 7 years of ~50 Plus game NHL experience versus 1 year for Graves. Yes Graves had a good first full season, but I think assuming he’ll get more than a young 7 year NHL vet based on 1 season still as an RFA is very presumptions. In fact Ceci has reached the same point total Graves did this year twice.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ceci also has 7 years of ~50 Plus game NHL experience versus 1 year for Graves. Yes Graves had a good first full season, but I think assuming he’ll get more than a young 7 year NHL vet based on 1 season still as an RFA is very presumptions. In fact Ceci has reached the same point total Graves did this year twice.

It's obviously not a huge deal, but Ceci also reached those totals in 75 and 74 games respectively, and Graves reached them in 69, which is nice. But I do see your point. I'm just more kinda incredulous that a guy like Ceci commands so much coin despite a less-than-stellar career thus far.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's obviously not a huge deal, but Ceci also reached those totals in 75 and 74 games respectively, and Graves reached them in 69, which is nice. But I do see your point. I'm just more kinda incredulous that a guy like Ceci commands so much coin despite a less-than-stellar career thus far.

Leverage, and a lack of sample size. Also the only reason Ceci got those contracts was because of a bad team, and another desperate for a warm body.

If Graves, or anyone really, wants to play on a good team that player has to fit in salary wise. Make your contract fair to good value, you're much less likely to be a casualty.

We'll see what choice Hall makes this off season too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There’s still the, is this the norm for Graves factor. I think he’ll get a 1-2 year bridge and I think that takes him to UFA where either he’ll get well paid because he’s a top 4 guy or he regressed and it doesn’t matter either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad