Ryan Graves

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
We've had a lot to be excited about this season with Cale Makar exploding into the NHL and our depth scoring.

I think someone we haven't discussed enough is Ryan Graves. Made some AHL trade a couple years ago, everyone thought it wasn't going anywhere.

Now look at the guy, playing top 4 next to Makar. And I think he's looked quite good there too. He's got puck skills, plays physical, and while he hasn't been perfect, he's made the "right" play more often than not in the d-zone.

Pretty lucky for us to nab a top 4 guy in an AHL trade (even if it doesn't last). And here I thought Bigras was going to play for the Avs for a long long time.

Reactions: MacBradley

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My only issue with Graves is some of his turnovers are really awful, like a tape-to-tape pass to the opposition right in front of the net.

But, overall its been a really good trade. And he’s a relatively young guy, so hopefully those mistakes can get ironed out of his game.

He’s looked pretty good next to Makar. That slap pass on Makar’s first goal was a beauty. And I don’t think Zadorov makes that play.

Last edited:

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I have really liked Graves. I will absolutely agree that he has had lots of games where he is a negative contributor overall, but we're talking about a defenseman with less that 50 NHL games. I am liking his PK work and overall skillset, and feel that he mostly has to figure out what works and what doesn't at the NHL level.

Really, I only wish he was meaner so we could safely toss Z aside.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The one thing I would say is that Graves is a perfect example of not looking too much into AHL numbers. Graves wasn’t exactly good in his Eagles time last year, but seems to do better in the more structured system of the NHL. He wouldn’t be the first player to do that either.
He’s looked pretty good next to Makar. That slap pass on Makar’s first goal was a beauty. And I don’t think Zadorov makes that play.
In fairness Z made a similar play on opening night with Compher’s goal. The key to that play last night was Nieto drawing people too him and dropping it back. Both Graves and Makar had a ton of time.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
He is a rollercoaster ride. Makes jaw dropping plays on both ends of the spectrum. I doubt Bednar will be a fan of the uncertainty that comes with him for long.

In Bednar's post-game interview last night he was (obviously) extremely high on Makar, but he also brought up Graves and said he was good but had work to do. That isn't an unexpected situation for a guy coming up from the AHL - so my overall impression from Bednar was he is pleased with Graves and expects blips here and there.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Theres things to work with for sure. I like his size. I hate that he cant clear a puck which is critical if hes gonna be a PK player. He turns the puck over a ton. He cleans these things up and he can be a solid bottom pairing in the NHL.

Reactions: cgf and Outbreaks

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As a #7 I guess we could do worse? But man I seriously do not like him as a player. He frustrates to know end on the PK with his constant soft clearing attempts that almost always dont make it out.

And some of his giveaways with the puck are inexcusable.

I'd prefer him not be on the team TBH. I'd much rather see Timmins or Rosen in his spot. Though I do prefer him over Barberio at least but that's not saying very much.

Reactions: Freaky Styley

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think he’s fine on the bottom pairing with limited minutes but he’s in over his head now. Though we really don’t have much of a choice at the moment as I don’t think Rosen or Timmins can eat those kind of minutes right now and Graves seems to at least have some chemistry with Makar unlike Z and Cole.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
My only issue with Graves is some of his turnovers are really awful, like a tape-to-tape pass to the opposition right in front of the net.

But, overall its been a really good trade. And he’s a relatively young guy, so hopefully those mistakes can get ironed out of his game.

Z shoots too much with his weak shot from the point. I can't stand when Z touches the puck in the O zone.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At his age, the wild ups and downs are probably just part of who he is as a player. I think as long as he's held to a bottom pairing role he'll be fine, but I think this experiment with him as Makar's partner is doomed to failure. The more ice he gets, the more chances he'll get to make big mistakes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Graves is a victim of "playing too much" which puts his weaknesses under the spotlight. He's a fine #6 or #7, not a fine #4.

That's pretty similar to the Holden situation.

Yup... said it last year. He has the ability to be a Holden type and carve out a NHL career. Always with that type, there is the fear that coaches over play them and they almost always do. If he's kept consistently to the bottom pairing, he's a fine player. There are going to be some growing pains as he learns how to transition into being a role player that PKs, blocks shots, and clears the puck almost exclusively. That wasn't his game prior and is new(ish) for him now. The physical ability is there for it.

As for right now, I'm not sure he's the best guy to play with Makar, but worth a shot I guess...

Reactions: Balthazar and cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yup... said it last year. He has the ability to be a Holden type and carve out a NHL career. Always with that type, there is the fear that coaches over play them and they almost always do. If he's kept consistently to the bottom pairing, he's a fine player. There are going to be some growing pains as he learns how to transition into being a role player that PKs, blocks shots, and clears the puck almost exclusively. That wasn't his game prior and is new(ish) for him now. The physical ability is there for it.

As for right now, I'm not sure he's the best guy to play with Makar, but worth a shot I guess...

The good thing is that he's aware that his key to an NHL job is the PK as he there was a quote in a game a few weeks ago where he said "every player has a role on a team, and mine will be to be a key cog on the PK." So I'm sure he's doing everything he can to become a big part of our PK.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Graves doesn't have the same offensive instincts as Holden but he's better defensively, which is more of a black mark on Holden than a compliment to Graves.

Anyway, he's clicking relatively well with Makar. I get that he's not a long-term solution in the top-four but for now just keep those two together if you're absolutely dead-set against reuniting Turn and Burn.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Graves has higher upside than Holden. Their skating ability is not on the same level.

Holden had good skating and size, that's what fooled the coaches into playing him too much. They are pretty damn similar...Holden also liked to pinch and was winning many "gambles" until he started losing them. Like Hench said, coaches play these players too much because they have the tools.

I remember Holden doing well with the Rags at first...all their fans were impressed and called the trade a steal. Then Vigneault started playing him on the 2nd pair....Great size, great skating, good offense...why not? It quickly went south from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->