Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
We have been so lucky to get to watch him for all of these years. My favourite player ever.
Yep. It's always been odd to me how criminally underrated he is, even now after the career he's had. It's like older fans overlooked him because of the league's saturation of star players coming out of his draft year, and now younger players are just seeing the older, slower version of Getz in comparison to the flashy young talent now entering a different style of NHL. He's on a very short list of players that can turn it on and dominate almost at will, and has done so for over a decade. Always around a PPG in both regular season and the playoffs, and strong at both ends of the ice. Yet people often don't even have him in their top 20 centers year in and out.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Yep. It's always been odd to me how criminally underrated he is, even now after the career he's had. It's like older fans overlooked him because of the league's saturation of star players coming out of his draft year, and now younger players are just seeing the older, slower version of Getz in comparison to the flashy young talent now entering a different style of NHL. He's on a very short list of players that can turn it on and dominate almost at will, and has done so for over a decade. Always around a PPG in both regular season and the playoffs, and strong at both ends of the ice. Yet people often don't even have him in their top 20 centers year in and out.

Nhl network had William Karlsson higher on their top centers list. Lol.

Reactions: Getzmonster

nilssont

May 27, 2007
According to Eliteprospects, Getzlaf is due for his 966th game tonight, same as Teemu who is the franchise leader in this category.
Im sure its been mentioned, but anyways good job Getz.
Fantastic player. Hope he gets a few more good years under a decent coach.
Ps Fire Carlyle

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He will bounce back under a new coach his talent and vision is still evident he’s just been snakebit and playing with trrrible linemates for the most part.
and he'll get to mentor whichever young center the ducks draft in 2019, potentially the teams future captain.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He will bounce back under a new coach his talent and vision is still evident he’s just been snakebit and playing with trrrible linemates for the most part.
Agreed he’ll bounce back.

But he objectively looks horrible right now. Worst we’ve seen from him in his career. Skating and agility just isn’t there. Like everyone, he’s being done no favors playing for Randy though

It’s just further evidence that the Ducks need a 1C so that they can reduce Getzlaf’s usage as he ages. He’s about to be 34. Not sure how much longer he’s a 20 minute per game all situation guy

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
reminds me of the 2011-2012 version of getzlaf

he's worse this year probably due to age/carlyle's sucking the life out of the team/crap linemates but he was very off that season too. maybe because RC had sucked the life out of that team as well and he couldn't really get it going even after RC was fired

with a new coach and better linemates he can return to his usual self

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Jet fan here. I've always admired him. 31 isn't that old. I was here seeing if someone was thinking about trading him. He has plenty of game in him! If he's got some talent beside him and not surrounded by all the negativity, he's still a winner. I suspect you don't trade an iconic player like him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Jet fan here. I've always admired him. 31 isn't that old. I was here seeing if someone was thinking about trading him. He has plenty of game in him! If he's got some talent beside him and not surrounded by all the negativity, he's still a winner. I suspect you don't trade an iconic player like him.

he's 33 going on 34

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Not a fan of asking the main boards, just wondering what real fans think about how he looks this year and what do you feel about him moving forward.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Not a fan of asking the main boards, just wondering what real fans think about how he looks this year and what do you feel about him moving forward.
he's done...trade him to a contender for pix...or next year trade him to a team needing to dump salary for a pick

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
he's done...trade him to a contender for pix...or next year trade him to a team needing to dump salary for a pick
If he’s done, the GM’s will know this, and nobody is trading anything of worth for him. The Ducks will have to add a 1st+ to get rid of his cap hit, and likely still have to retain and/or take back a bad contract.

Next year, he still has a high cap hit, so he is literally exactly the last thing a team wanting to dump cap would want.

Did you think this one through before posting? :huh:

Reactions: eternalbedhead

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He looks like he’s struggling to skate. He missed preseason games and practice yesterday, so some of us suspect an injury, others think he’s lost a step + likely injured, there’s an extremely vocal minority that feels he’s done.

He’s looked good at points in some games and been painful to watch in others. Hasn’t put an entire game together yet.

Disclaimer - I missed today’s game.

Reactions: KyleJRM

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
imo, he's still a solid player but with the game focusing more on speed his best asset of slowing the game down isn't nearly as useful as it once was. i think he's gotta start just making faster decisions even if he can't skate as fast as other he can still make the right decisions quickly.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He was pretty good against the Bs I thought. Had 5 shots and was creating a lot.

haters gonna hate though I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad