Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If he doesn't step up in a very big way in both 6 and 7 his legacy should really take a massive hit. There are simply no excuses anymore for his annual disappearing acts.

Draq

Mar 2, 2016
Germany
Carries the team on his back for more or less 11/ 15 games this year.

Gets **** on after one bad game.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

Keep drinking the koolaid. He's our best offensive player and he's been scoreless in 5 of the last 6 games. And I needn't bring up what he's done the last 4 years with the series on the line. Sadly you can't win a Cup just by beating teams like Calgary.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Yes he's been good before this series, but he has not been good in this series at all - and I don't think it's a coincidence that has happened since he's reverted back to trying to make fancy plays.

The fact he was so ineffective in Game 5 is a bad sign, as he was getting the best matchups he's had so far in this series and he was invisible. He needs to step up in a big way, especially with our injuries to key forwards.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's frustrating to see Getzlaf so dominant and then when the team needs him the most, he disappears. Especially with the match ups he's now getting.

But, not to worry, we can always blame Bruce for it all, right?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
So if Getzlaf's heart/brain is injured does that make us as pitiable as the Preds with Johansen?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
picture.php

Even his faceoffs have been abysmal considering the favorable center matchups he's getting.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I actually thought Getzlaf played well in game 5. He was shooting the puck and had quite a few quality opportunities to score but missed the net. He also had quite a few nice defensive plays.

That being said, he's paid for results and should have scored at least 1 goal last night with the chances he had.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I actually thought Getzlaf played well in game 5. He was shooting the puck and had quite a few quality opportunities to score but missed the net. He also had quite a few nice defensive plays.

That being said, he's paid for results and should have scored at least 1 goal last night with the chances he had.

I thought he was great early on the PP and generated a ton of chances but just kept missing. As the game went on he was getting the puck through the neutral zone and getting chances to create but kept making the wrong decision in the offensive zone.

Defensively I agree he was good.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It's frustrating to see Getzlaf so dominant and then when the team needs him the most, he disappears. Especially with the match ups he's now getting.

But, not to worry, we can always blame Bruce for it all, right?

Getzlaf is to blame for not producing well in later games but BB is still partly to blame for our 3-2 series lead chokes. We finally won a game 7 to end the bad streak and did it right away with a new coach. If BB didn't get fired I don't think we would of made it as far as we have.

nvn

Oct 15, 2013
Getzlaf is to blame for not producing well in later games but BB is still partly to blame for our 3-2 series lead chokes. We finally won a game 7 to end the bad streak and did it right away with a new coach. If BB didn't get fired I don't think we would of made it as far as we have.

Could have been a fluke. I'm starting to think the ducks can't really sustain their physical game in the playoff and they show up tired in the last games of a series.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Could have been a fluke. I'm starting to think the ducks can't really sustain their physical game in the playoff and they show up tired in the last games of a series.

Maybe it was or maybe it wasn't but regardless with BB gone we finally won a game 7 doing it in the first year with a different coach.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

You've got an unhealthy fixation on BB. The team has looked just as bad in some of this year's playoff games as in previous years. Look at the EDM game 6. Explain that. I don't blame RC for that any more than I blamed BB for past failures in big games. Your best players need to be your best players. When they're not, you get the kind of results we've gotten. And game 6 vs EDM proves it isn't a case of the right coach giving the right rah rah speech. Different coach, exactly the same result. It's on the players.

Coaches deserve blame and credit at times just like players do. But when you come out with a chance to close out an opponent or to put the screws to them in a series, and you look like the first day at camp, that's on the players 100%. Sure, you can't trade everybody and firing the coach is easier, but it doesn't mean the problem was/is all on the coach. Your best players have to be your best players, especially when it matters. If they aren't it doesn't matter who the coach is, you're results are going to be disappointing.

Oct 18, 2011
Game 6 is a legacy game for Getzy. He has to be the best player for Anaheim to win he needs a shoot first mentality and set the tone

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You've got an unhealthy fixation on BB. The team has looked just as bad in some of this year's playoff games as in previous years. Look at the EDM game 6. Explain that. I don't blame RC for that any more than I blamed BB for past failures in big games. Your best players need to be your best players. When they're not, you get the kind of results we've gotten. And game 6 vs EDM proves it isn't a case of the right coach giving the right rah rah speech. Different coach, exactly the same result. It's on the players.

Coaches deserve blame and credit at times just like players do. But when you come out with a chance to close out an opponent or to put the screws to them in a series, and you look like the first day at camp, that's on the players 100%. Sure, you can't trade everybody and firing the coach is easier, but it doesn't mean the problem was/is all on the coach. Your best players have to be your best players, especially when it matters. If they aren't it doesn't matter who the coach is, you're results are going to be disappointing.

And some people want to absolve BB of any blame. BB isn't a good playoff coach I would take RC over him easily. We finally ended our game 7 streak right away with BB gone that is the reality of it. BB didn't help us win any game 7's. Both the players and coach had been to blame.

We had a lot of roster changes during the time BB was our coach. Only Getzlaf,Perry,Fowler and Cogliano had been around for all the chokes. Yes best players need to be the best but sometimes you can win without them needing to be the best. For some reason our team has a much harder time wining games if our two best forwards had struggled more so then other teams.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
If he doesn't step up in a very big way in both 6 and 7 his legacy should really take a massive hit. There are simply no excuses anymore for his annual disappearing acts.

His legacy will not change whatsoever for me if he gets 0 points in the rest of the series and they are eliminated. How can it?

How can you take a 1 game sample size and say "if x doesn't get on scoreboard, his entire legacy is tarnished"

He has 18 points in 16 games. He's the only non-pittsburgh player in the top of the league. He's being overly exhausted with 25 minutes of ice time, the only forward nearly being utilized so heavily.

Anaheim's depth players are who needs to score. Kesler, Cogaliano, Vermette, and many others are performing way below average offensively.

Give the Getzlaf thing a rest - nothing he does in the next 2 games will affect his legacy that has been created with over 100 playoff games. The writing is on the wall with a huge sample size - he is a playoff beast, always has been, and likely always will be.

Next topic.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
His legacy will not change whatsoever for me if he gets 0 points in the rest of the series and they are eliminated. How can it?

How can you take a 1 game sample size and say "if x doesn't get on scoreboard, his entire legacy is tarnished"

He has 18 points in 16 games. He's the only non-pittsburgh player in the top of the league. He's being overly exhausted with 25 minutes of ice time, the only forward nearly being utilized so heavily.

Anaheim's depth players are who needs to score. Kesler, Cogaliano, Vermette, and many others are performing way below average offensively.

Give the Getzlaf thing a rest - nothing he does in the next 2 games will affect his legacy that has been created with over 100 playoff games. The writing is on the wall with a huge sample size - he is a playoff beast, always has been, and likely always will be.

Next topic.

He has points in 1 out of 5 games in the WCF. His playoff legacy has been that he produces like a beast at the start of series, and then disappears from the scoresheet at clutch time. Calling him a playoff beast in general the equivalent of the officials calling a few meaningless penalties at the end of a game so that the penalty numbers are even up calling a game fairly.

He's been our best forward on the ice every game. But doing that while not accruing points, again, isn't enough.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Regarding Getz legacy thing, it's his inability to show up in games 6 and 7. He has a disastrous record in those games as our captain. Racking up points in non elimination games is great, but if he fails to show up when it matters most he'll been seen as a choker just like this team is seen. This team goes only as far as he does.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
And some people want to absolve BB of any blame. BB isn't a good playoff coach I would take RC over him easily. We finally ended our game 7 streak right away with BB gone that is the reality of it. BB didn't help us win any game 7's. Both the players and coach had been to blame.

We had a lot of roster changes during the time BB was our coach. Only Getzlaf,Perry,Fowler and Cogliano had been around for all the chokes. Yes best players need to be the best but sometimes you can win without them needing to be the best. For some reason our team has a much harder time wining games if our two best forwards had struggled more so then other teams.

That's just not true. Nobody has ever said he doesn't share some blame. What it has always come down to is the team plays well enough to win a series or two (always against inferior opponents) after winning 4 division titles, get a series lead on the next opponent and then totally self destruct, year after year. And every one of those previous self destructions involved Perry and Getzlaf totally disappearing in games 6&7. Our best players (one Hart winner and two potential HOFers) no showed every time. I've always been fine with firing BB. It's how sports works. But I've never agreed that the Ducks failure was as simple as blaming Bruce for it all.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Getzlaf has played really well except for the fact that he is always looking to make the pass even when he has excellent scoring chances. Defense start keying in on that and not respecting his shot, leading to a lot of failed scoring chances. He is much more dangerous when looking to score first.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Played and produced well in the playoffs but only produced in two of 6 games against the Predators was part of our downfall.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
He was outstanding in these playoffs. In Game 6 he helped give us a chance to win. But this series is not on him, he did his part. You cant expect one player to win a series for you by himself, there wasnt much help.

If he can play at that level, we have a chance to win no matter what. Its all about getting him some help and linemates who can stay on the ice and contribute without dissappearing for long stretches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad