Confirmed with Link: Ryan Ellis traded to PHI. Preds get Myers from PHI and Glass from VGK

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Just depends on what Poile's end game is in all of this. Normally I would agree, but if his goal is to save the owners some money, well that could be a different story. I really don't think that's it, but who knows what his plan is. Right now though he is getting younger, bigger, saving dollars, and changing up the culture of this team. Will we better? That's the million dollar question.

I mean with Myers and Carrier the RHD position is fairly young at 24 each. If sacrificing Fabbro rids ourselves of Duchene it may be worth it with the rhd group significantly younger

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I mean with Myers and Carrier the RHD position is fairly young at 24 each. If sacrificing Fabbro rids ourselves of Duchene it may be worth it with the rhd group significantly younger
Fabbro will be the best of all three, ship one of the others out if you're going to do that.

This is the same backwards thought process everyone had with shipping out Ekholm instead of Ellis.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
That PHI crowd is gonna HATE Ellis holy shit.

Well for their sake I hope the trade shakes his head up cause I think that's his biggest problem.
I think he'll be good there. They don't have a Josi running around already for Ellis to trip over trying to out do him. It'll be really good if the have a big lefty they can play next to him.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I think he'll be good there. They don't have a Josi running around already for Ellis to trip over trying to out do him. It'll be really good if the have a big lefty they can play next to him.
Maybe you’re right. I just think his best is about two seasons in the rearview. Fully expect a Subban level nosedive from him going forward. Ready the PHI board about this, if I’m right about that…it’s gonna be thermonuclear.

Reactions: SouthNash

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Ah f*** yes! Two players for the gnome? Oh f***ing Kay boys!!

On these boards last season one ever-present sentiment was the futility of Arvidsson and Ellis. Poile has managed to shed both of those players and gain FOUR assets in their place. Obviously Arvy and Ellis were at times some of the best players in the league, but I think given the circumstances it's hard to be upset with how it's shaken out for us. The expansion draft, flat cap and retooling process has to be considered when evaluating these trades.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Myers sucks. Can Skate but is hockey IQ challenged. You better hope that Glass can be the player he was drafted to be.

As a Flyers fan, have to disagree with that. Myers has size, speed, good puck control, strong in the neutral zone, physical, pretty good ice vision and IQ. He's still young and growing, learning. And being stuck with AV, who hates young players and is not interested in their confidence or development , hurt him.
He'll do fine in Nashville, he should develop into a top defenseman for them for years.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ellis has missed 79 games over the past 4 seasons. 41 games over the past 2 shortened seasons and 38 in 17-18 season. If he was still in his mid 20s, I'd have more faith that e could keep up top pairing caliber play for longer. I think he'll be top pairing for maybe 2 more seasons then top 4 from there. Myers fits more of what we need. A big more defensive player. I think him with Josi would allow Josi to do his thing. Ekholm and Carrier paired together and maybe Farrance Fabbro can relive their college days as the 3rd pairing.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Ellis just doesn’t work on this team now. It’s obvious.

With Hynes as the coach and the personnel we have, he can’t be his best NHL self.

I think he will do well elsewhere. He has great hands and puck skills. He is smart. If he can be utilized correctly, he can put up 40-50 points again without too much difficulty. I expect 40 to be honest.

with that said, this was an obvious decision to move on here.

preds have made their decision with our coaching and players are getting moved out one by one.

duchene is next most likely.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Ellis just doesn’t work on this team now. It’s obvious.

With Hynes as the coach and the personnel we have, he can’t be his best NHL self.

I think he will do well elsewhere. He has great hands and puck skills. He is smart. If he can be utilized correctly, he can put up 40-50 points again without too much difficulty. I expect 40 to be honest.

with that said, this was an obvious decision to move on here.

preds have made their decision with our coaching and players are getting moved out one by one.

duchene is next most likely.

If Ekholm goes, it's a full rebuild. Might as well offer Forsberg, too. IF EKHOLM GOES.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
On these boards last season one ever-present sentiment was the futility of Arvidsson and Ellis. Poile has managed to shed both of those players and gain FOUR assets in their place. Obviously Arvy and Ellis were at times some of the best players in the league, but I think given the circumstances it's hard to be upset with how it's shaken out for us. The expansion draft, flat cap and retooling process has to be considered when evaluating these trades.

Poile is still a freaking wizard. Two old and busted players, both on contracts that will be anchors, and gets 4 assets that dont have to be protected.

Gotta just tip your hat and wait for the next move

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Keep the roll going Poile! Wow. I am thrilled that it turns out he sees the same things we do. I could have totally understood his perspective having just negotiated and signed that enormous contract for Ellis, and how he would feel close to the player "family" he had built. But thankfully, he saw things clearly. First with Arvy, now with Ellis. We have two young players in Fabbro and Carrier who fit our team better and were surpassing Ellis on the ice. So just the fact that he was indeed ready to trade Ellis at all really vindicates everything we've being saying here for months.

And then that he traded him BEFORE Expansion, and got an even better return than I was expecting from an AFTER Expansion trade just astonishes me.

I might frankly have traded Ellis just for Myers. Considering age, contracts, our need for a bigger physical RD instead of Ellis, I think I would have taken that trade just 1-for-1. I mean, it wouldn't have been a coup, but it still would have served our needs sufficiently and saved us enough Cap and long-term risk, that I still would have applauded the trade.

But hot damn. We get a prospect like Glass as well out of it? That's insane. Glass is better than getting their 1st round pick would have been.

I just totally :heart: this trade.

Uh, now don't mess things up with Seattle, DP.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
As a flyers fan, im curious to see why some of you are happy to get rid of Ellis?

Reactions: Lurch

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As a flyers fan, im curious to see why some of you are happy to get rid of Ellis?
I wouldn't panic about it from a Flyers' perspective. Some of us have just watched the Josi-Ellis pair get burned in the playoffs for years, and that desire to break up the pair basically finally came to fruition this year, while we have 2 younger RD in Fabbro and Carrier who seemed to be better partners for Josi and Ekholm than Ellis has been. Ellis is just redundant on a pairing with Josi. They both kind of want to do the same thing, just Josi is far far better at it, so Ellis has been missing out, especially in terms of getting knocked off the PP1 unit.

Ellis needs to be your #1 RD, get 1st unit PP time, and be paired with a guy who will mind the store more on LD. Give him all that and he should be fine. If he stays healthy and you guys have a good season, he may even put up 50 points. He has had to adjust his game a little and become less of a battler defensively, because it finally became obvious even to him that he's just too small and weak to keep doing that as he ages. Fair enough. Now he tries more to be "savvy" instead. Just tell Carter Hart to watch out, because Ellis will try to steal his job playing goalie. And just screen Hart instead. Ellis needs a helping hand on D, and Josi wasn't very good at lending it. So how you use him is going to matter a lot.

Well for a few more years anyway. But I think we all fear that he'll become a boat anchor after that. He's not fast, and he does get hurt a fair bit, I don't see him aging well.

He seemed to be a respected leader, so you will get good "intangibles" from him anyway, despite whatever dropoff occurs with his game.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wouldn't panic about it from a Flyers' perspective. Some of us have just watched the Josi-Ellis pair get burned in the playoffs for years, and that desire to break up the pair basically finally came to fruition this year, while we have 2 younger RD in Fabbro and Carrier who seemed to be better partners for Josi and Ekholm than Ellis has been. Ellis is just redundant on a pairing with Josi. They both kind of want to do the same thing, just Josi is far far better at it, so Ellis has been missing out, especially in terms of getting knocked off the PP1 unit.

Ellis needs to be your #1 RD, get 1st unit PP time, and be paired with a guy who will mind the store more on LD. Give him all that and he should be fine. If he stays healthy and you guys have a good season, he may even put up 50 points. He has had to adjust his game a little and become less of a battler defensively, because it finally became obvious even to him that he's just too small and weak to keep doing that as he ages. Fair enough. Now he tries more to be "savvy" instead. Just tell Carter Hart to watch out, because Ellis will try to steal his job playing goalie. And just screen Hart instead. Ellis needs a helping hand on D, and Josi wasn't very good at lending it. So how you use him is going to matter a lot.

Well for a few more years anyway. But I think we all fear that he'll become a boat anchor after that. He's not fast, and he does get hurt a fair bit, I don't see him aging well.

He seemed to be a respected leader, so you will get good "intangibles" from him anyway, despite whatever dropoff occurs with his game.
Or, in short, put him with Josi and he's got nothing useful to do; put him with someone like Provorov and watch the magic happen.

Reactions: Danko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad