Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The term on the contract probably has more to do with ELC rules than any plans Minnesota has/had: Sturm signed a month before his 24th birthday, which (I think) required a 1 year ELC.

He got resigned this offseason. So...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Oh your right! It was one of those weird "sign the player for like a month" deals.

Yep, but it was a deal that paid Strum ~$900k for that month, and MN gets his RFA rights.

Honestly Sturm doesn't appear to be figuring in the long term. He signed a one year contract. Sturm is also a center. If Donato was in the AHL and Sturm in the NHL it would have been better.

The one year deal is good for Strum. He was only going to get a 2-way deal with AHL min pay on this contract. If he plays well in Iowa he can get a raise next year with some guaranteed money even if he's in the minors still. If he sticks in MN by the end of the season a 1-way deal could be on the table for him too.

Reactions: Bazeek

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Yep, but it was a deal that paid Strum ~$900k for that month, and MN gets his RFA rights.

The one year deal is good for Strum. He was only going to get a 2-way deal with AHL min pay on this contract. If he plays well in Iowa he can get a raise next year with some guaranteed money even if he's in the minors still. If he sticks in MN by the end of the season a 1-way deal could be on the table for him too.
Sturm 1st contract was$92,500 signing bonus and 874k PRO- RATED over 180 days or so ( comes out to approx $4800 per day on roster ).
That's the max on ELC without any performance bonuses.
He will be a Group 6 UFA at the end of his 3rd Pro season when he turns 26 because of his signing age, usually 25 with 3 years of service, IF he doesn't play in 80 NHL games.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t see it with this kid. Isn’t overly smart, not strong on the puck, not explosive. I wonder what his value around the league is. At this point I think you hope he develops into a 3rd liner who can chip in offensively.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don’t see it with this kid. Isn’t overly smart, not strong on the puck, not explosive. I wonder what his value around the league is. At this point I think you hope he develops into a 3rd liner who can chip in offensively.

He has a nice shot and is creative with the puck. He just has the flaws you mentioned in his game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I seem to remember him looking pretty good with Zucker last year, and can't remember if they've really been on the same line at all this year. It may be worth trying again at some point.

He's been disappointing, though.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's lacking the drive and aggression he came here with from the trade last season.

Without it, he just seems to be going through the motions.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kid is playing 2 shifts a period every other game. Impossible to see anything with his game under those circumstances

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Kid is playing 2 shifts a period every other game. Impossible to see anything with his game under those circumstances
A little under a minute less per game than Hartman, yet everyone sees enough of his game to like what they see from him.

He's getting enough time to judge how he's playing those minutes.

He's certainly done nothing yet to demand more time than he's getting, that's for sure.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
A little under a minute less per game than Hartman, yet everyone sees enough of his game to like what they see from him.

He's getting enough time to judge how he's playing those minutes.

He's certainly done nothing yet to demand more time than he's getting, that's for sure.
Not sure where you're getting your icetimes, but Hartman is playing about 3 minutes more per game than Donato. That's a fairly large number when he played less than 7 minutes total last night.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
On a team where nobody is showing anything, If Donato was moving the needle he’d be playing more

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not sure where you're getting your icetimes, but Hartman is playing about 3 minutes more per game than Donato. That's a fairly large number when he played less than 7 minutes total last night.
In 11 games, Donato has averaged 11:05 per game.
Ryan Donato Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

In 12 games, Hartman has averaged 12:46 per game.
Ryan Hartman Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

I should have said a little more than a minute difference instead of a little less. Point still remains.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Can't believe we're on the hook for Donato another season at 1.9 million. That's a worse contract than Rask.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Poe's law is hitting me real hard here.

Rask at least plays a position of value (center) and has shown he can at least pitch in every few games. Donato is struggling to even hit the 4th line. At this point, I'd honestly waive Donato and hope either a) someone takes his contract or b) he ends up in Iowa where he can develop.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Rask at least plays a position of value (center) and has shown he can at least pitch in every few games. Donato is struggling to even hit the 4th line. At this point, I'd honestly waive Donato and hope either a) someone takes his contract or b) he ends up in Iowa where he can develop.
He's a LW struggling to find minutes on a team with 6 NHL-caliber LWs. It's not like he has no history of success with better minutes and linemates.

He does need to get stronger and play better without the puck, but those are things he can work on while playing 4th line. He sounds like the kind of kid that'll work through it and giving up on him after less than 50 games would be a mistake.

Personally I'm leaning more toward looking at trading Foligno sometime this season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He's a LW struggling to find minutes on a team with 6 NHL-caliber LWs. It's not like he has no history of success with better minutes and linemates.

He's also play center, but couldn't find any success there (and if he did, would go to solve some issues). However, isn't that always the case? Better minutes, better linemates = better play?

With that said, Minnesota is in a pretty bad jam. Even with Foligno is traded/moved, and so is Zucker, would Minnesota think about breaking up the GEEK line? Dropping Fiala on the 4th or Parise?

He does need to get stronger and play better without the puck, but those are things he can work on while playing 4th line. He sounds like the kind of kid that'll work through it and giving up on him after less than 50 games would be a mistake.

He should be working on them in the AHL. The NHL isn't a development league. Also Boston gave up on him fairly quickly. He's had almost 90 games in the NHL, and outside a quick stint last season, hasn't looked like he has belonged.

Personally I'm leaning more toward looking at trading Foligno sometime this season.

That still won't help the situation.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's also play center, but couldn't find any success there (and if he did, would go to solve some issues). However, isn't that always the case? Better minutes, better linemates = better play?

With that said, Minnesota is in a pretty bad jam. Even with Foligno is traded/moved, and so is Zucker, would Minnesota think about breaking up the GEEK line? Dropping Fiala on the 4th or Parise?

He should be working on them in the AHL. The NHL isn't a development league. Also Boston gave up on him fairly quickly. He's had almost 90 games in the NHL, and outside a quick stint last season, hasn't looked like he has belonged.

That still won't help the situation.
It'll help the more immediate problem of having to scratch young players that need playing time in favor of a veteran that probably isn't in the team's long term plans. I like Foligno's game lately, but if you can move his salary and recoup a 2nd or a 3rd I think that's an easy choice to make.

For the time being it would still leave Donato stuck on the 4th line until we hit the inevitable injury. If he can stay patient, work on rounding out his game and bide his time it should pay off for him and the Wild. He may still end up being traded, but that's better than waiving him.

It would be preferable to have him in Iowa than scrapping for minutes in Minnesota, but it is what it is. There's no reason to cut bait when there are other options.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It'll help the more immediate problem of having to scratch young players that need playing time in favor of a veteran that probably isn't in the team's long term plans. I like Foligno's game lately, but if you can move his salary and recoup a 2nd or a 3rd I think that's an easy choice to make.

Agreed. If we can get a 2nd for Foligno, I think that'd be good for both.

It would be preferable to have him in Iowa than scrapping for minutes in Minnesota, but it is what it is. There's no reason to cut bait when there are other options.

This is one thing I hope Guerin fixes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trading Foligno is a good plan if we want to tank. Not a good plan if we want to make the playoffs. He plays like a man, Donato like a boy. I'm not against any trade that helps the team in the long run, but lets get real.

I guess it's possible that Donato turns a corner and becomes a top 9 forward(cause he sure as hell isn't a good 4th liner), but i'm not holding my breath. He'll be 24yo next spring. I'd just as soon see Mayhew up here. Donato is weak, slow, and doesn't score.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Trading Foligno is a good plan if we want to tank. Not a good plan if we want to make the playoffs. He plays like a man, Donato like a boy. I'm not against any trade that helps the team in the long run, but lets get real.

I guess it's possible that Donato runs a corner and becomes a top 9 forward(cause he sure as hell isn't a good 4th liner), but i'm not holding my breath. He'll be 24yo next spring. I'd just as soon see Mayhew up here. Donato is weak, slow, and doesn't score.
Let's: unless Guerin finds a solution in goal that isn't Dubnyk or Stalock it's not going to make much difference how good Foligno is in the playoffs. There's very little reason to cling to him if someone makes a reasonable offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad