Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just noticed there was no dedicated thread for him, so I thought I'd make one. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Coyle/Donato swap, but that's water under the bridge.

I'm dubious that he can be a C, but Boudreau believes he is worth taking a look at in that position. If he can play C, it'd be huge for this team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’d rather they not ask him to learn the position on the fly at the NHL level, but I’m guessing it’ll be a short-lived experiment anyway.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’d rather they not ask him to learn the position on the fly at the NHL level, but I’m guessing it’ll be a short-lived experiment anyway.
Donato is a coaches kid. I would bet he's played center everywhere but the NHL

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Donato is a coaches kid. I would bet he's played center everywhere but the NHL
According to an article in the Trib his dad had a conversation with BB about it. That is where the idea originated. I agree with the good Doctor, let's not try and develop it at the NHL level.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
According to an article in the Trib his dad had a conversation with BB about it. That is where the idea originated. I agree with the good Doctor, let's not try and develop it at the NHL level.

I'll say the same thing as I did about Greenway last year trying center. We won't know if he can or he can't until he's tried there. This is what preseason is for, to try things out.

If the kid shows promise send him down the the AHL to learn there. The NHL team (when healthy) is stacked with LHS wings already. He's waivers exempt for a few games still, so even if he is a little better than some other FWDs he could be the odd man out. If anything maybe he'll learn to see the game a little better in the d-zone by playing center in the AHL (if this is what happens).

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'll say the same thing as I did about Greenway last year trying center. We won't know if he can or he can't until he's tried there. This is what preseason is for, to try things out.

If the kid shows promise send him down the the AHL to learn there. The NHL team (when healthy) is stacked with LHS wings already. He's waivers exempt for a few games still, so even if he is a little better than some other FWDs he could be the odd man out. If anything maybe he'll learn to see the game a little better in the d-zone by playing center in the AHL (if this is what happens).

Well that's certainly not going to happen, nor should it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well that's certainly not going to happen, nor should it.

Why not? It's what should have happened with Greenway last year.

One of Donato, Greenway, or Kunin should start the season in Iowa.

In some shape or form these are locks for the lineup:
Parise/Staal/Zucc
Zucker/Koivu/Fiala
Foligno/JEE/Hartman

That leaves 3 spots for Rask, Donato, Kunin, and Greenway:
-Kunin being a RHS gives him an edge to stay. Is waivers exempt all season
-Rask could be pressboxed, but I think they'll play him if he shows any signs of life. Even if it's just to try and boost his trade value enough that someone wants him.
-Greenway has a better 2-way game, and BB does like his big bodied FWDs. 67 games of waivers exempt.
-Donato, best at offense of the group, but defense is the worst. 8 games of waivers exempt.

I see Donato as a FWD that needs to be on a scoring line. I don't see him (or Rask) doing well on the Koivu or Foligno lines. I also don't see him getting a spot on the PP, where only one spot is up for grabs.

Parise/Staal/Zucc
Suter/Dumba

Fiala/Koivu/Zucker (even though I can't stand him on the PP)
Spurgeon/??? (Hunt, Kunin, Donato, Rask, Greenway, and Brodin could all be options).

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Anyone that knows him and his play can’t expect anything different
Runs hot and cold but when he’s hot he’s really hot
Himself / shoot 1st mentality
Awful defensively
Avg skating
Not going to win many battles

thanks Fenton

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Does he get sent down? If he plays tomorrow night he is no longer waiver-exempt. The issue is with the number of injuries this team has, it might be hard to send him down.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does he get sent down? If he plays tomorrow night he is no longer waiver-exempt. The issue is with the number of injuries this team has, it might be hard to send him down.

There isn't much left to callup and replace him in the lineup. I thought he should have started the year in Iowa.

zellmatic

Sep 25, 2013
Minnesota
Boston duped us (Fenton). I like the he shoots a lot, but he doesn't bring much else to the table. Makes me wish we still had Coyle, who even with his deficiencies was still much more well rounded.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
No big surprise that Donato sucks.
I don't think he sucks, but he's easy to knock off the puck and isn't great defensively. Especially in a game like the one last night where they're down a forward, up 3-0 and everyone was focusing on shutting down the McDavid line. He's going to have a hard time getting minutes in situations like that.

He's got to work on not getting knocked around so easily, though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Donato has a lot of skill, it's just his weaknesses are glaring (but fixable). If he can play passable defense win some puck battles he'll have a good career. The offensive skills and instincts are there.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Send him down! Greenway, JEE and Rask all skated today, if 2 of them can go then send Donato to the AHL instead of playing him 9 minutes again. But of course they won't and they'll end up in another JEE situation with a guy not good enough to play in the role where he might be able to develop and unable to send him down to the AHL to have an opportunity to play in that role.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't think he sucks, but he's easy to knock off the puck and isn't great defensively. Especially in a game like the one last night where they're down a forward, up 3-0 and everyone was focusing on shutting down the McDavid line. He's going to have a hard time getting minutes in situations like that.

He's got to work on not getting knocked around so easily, though.

Aka he sucks. He isn't going to find a lot of time of opportunities in Minnesota if he doesn't play a good defensive game. I wouldn't be sad if him or Fiala were traded immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad