Ryan Donato with 15 points in first 15 games since traded

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
Yeah every once in a while you have to give up a Seguin, Thornton to get the message through to the players for sure
What’s that? I’m sorry but I can’t quite make out your text from all the glare coming off of the many Stanley Cups won by Seguin and Thornton.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
What’s that? I’m sorry but I can’t quite make out your text from all the glare coming off of the many Stanley Cups won by Seguin and Thornton.

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Is it that the lack of Cups is an indication that Thornton and Seguin aren’t great players?

P10p

May 15, 2012

You're defending these trades way more vehemently than you should be... :help:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bruins lost that deal

last night lost says hi

Donato with a minus 2 and missed a few assignments

Coyle hasn't been as productive but he has been very good in terms of not turning over the puck and playing a solid 200 foot game

It was probably a good trade for both teams

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Does this seem like another Latendresse ?

Personally, Donato has any more skill, but just seeing if Wild things get that feeling, or no ?

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Does this seem like another Latendresse ?

Personally, Donato has any more skill, but just seeing if Wild things get that feeling, or no ?

Donato needs to work on every other part of his game outside of his shot to be sure he stays in the nhl, and I'm not saying this as a bad thing, I'm happy the kid is getting nhl ice time but he needs to address his weaknesses to stay in the NHL long term.

This isn't my hot take either, it is the opinion of many who scouted him along the way.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Coyle isn't on the Bruins to score goals, he is on the Bruins to round out the 3rd line. So far I'm impressed with his ability to go into the corners and retrieve and possess the puck, which he has been doing quite well.

Just trying to point out that the whole 200ft thing is used too much to hold a player on higher pedastle when its not really warranted. Donato hasn't been a liability for us and he is scoring. Coyle is not a liability and hes not scoring. So far so good for both teams, but no need to take thinly veiled pot shots at Donato using this "200ft player" bs.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Donato was highly regarded before the trade too. He also excelled at the beginning of his Bruins career. Being a Boston born kid I remember a lot of bruins fans were very excited to see what he could become. I was very surprised when I found out he was traded. When looking at what he was traded for I don’t know how many people anticipate a long term win for Boston. The biggest problem is that Coyle was supposed to at least be better now for the Bruins which he hasn’t. Hard to defend the trade for Boston
You need a better understanding if the game, it isn’t always about points. The Bruins didn’t need another goal scorer, they needed someone who could take the third line Center and improve that line, Coyle has done that in spades. Glad Donato is doing well but Coyle is exactly what the Bruins needed for that third line, win for both teams. Also like to point out that as of today the Bruins are tied for second overall in the league and the Wild are not in a playoff spot. You build a team on needs, not on how many points players get, don’t believe me, ask the Oilers with their two 100 point players.

P10p

May 15, 2012
And it makes no sense when B's fans say Coyle solidified the 3rd line but when its pointed out hes not scoring at all you guys use the defense that hes not playing with NHL calibre players. So if hes not playing with his actual linemates moving forward, how do we know he solidified them??

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
never understood why people were calling the coyle trade a steal for the bruins.

Donato had quite a bit of hype before the season started, and was expected to compete for the calder trophy.
They gave up a pretty good young player to get Coyle
Coyle has also been consistently overrated since he broke into the league. He's not bad, but reputation outstrips his actual value, IMO.

Reactions: Minnesota and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Donato needs to work on every other part of his game outside of his shot to be sure he stays in the nhl, and I'm not saying this as a bad thing, I'm happy the kid is getting nhl ice time but he needs to address his weaknesses to stay in the NHL long term.

This isn't my hot take either, it is the opinion of many who scouted him along the way.

Lol its a hot take you just said he needs to work on every part of his game to stay in the league. He has 15 points in 15 games as a rookie. Its a ridiculous comment.

I know you are trying to convince yourself this to feel good about the deal but its outrageous. Wasnt hard to see he was going to be a player, he was amazing at the olympics and came out flying last year. Incredible motor and a true new age style player with speed and skill.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
As a Bruins fan, I was so hyped on Donato. When they signed him after the Olympics for the playoffs, I was waving the pom poms. He performed well in those games and I expected him to be a big contributor for us this year.

Never happened though. He just couldn't seem to put it all together even though he was put on Krejci's wing and the #1 PP. Eventually his minutes dwindle and he's not providing anything. Gets sent down to the AHL to work on his game. Other players start getting called up over him and contributing, and that was the end of it.

Bruins had a glaring hole at 3rd line center and it cost Donato to fill it. Obviously this lit a fire under his ass, and I couldn't be happier for him. You can tell by watching him that he has the tools to produce in this league. And as a local kid, I hope he keeps this up and has a long successful career. Just wasn't going to happen this year with the Bruins. Wild fans got a good player they can look forward to watching grow and improve.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Lol its a hot take you just said he needs to work on every part of his game to stay in the league. He has 15 points in 15 games as a rookie. Its a ridiculous comment.

I know you are trying to convince yourself this to feel good about the deal but its outrageous. Wasnt hard to see he was going to be a player, he was amazing at the olympics and came out flying last year. Incredible motor and a true new age style player with speed and skill.

We can revisit this thread in a year or two.

I'm just echoing the scouting reports on Donato's strengths vs. his weaknesses at this point in his NHL career. I'm happy for the kid and wish him the best, I wasn't happy he was traded at the time but I get it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Donato's skating isn't great. Do you watch the player?

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Where did he say his skating is great? He does have pretty good speed. Just takes him a stride or 2 longer to get there than one would hope.

Saying he needs to work on everything but his shot is laughable though. I didn't read anything like that around trade time. It was he needed to get stronger on the puck and quicker. His D could be better, but his offense is allot more than just his shot. Dude only has like 60 games in the NHL and some Boston fans seem to think he wasn't going to develope to be anything more than he was. He is a rookie.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Coyle isn't on the Bruins to score goals, he is on the Bruins to round out the 3rd line. So far I'm impressed with his ability to go into the corners and retrieve and possess the puck, which he has been doing quite well.

They are paying him 3.2 million and his pace is for 17 points over a whole season. The Bruins expected more offense than 3 points in 14 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad