Ryan Donato with 15 points in first 15 games since traded

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He has plenty of quickness I would ask you the same thing.

I guarantee I have seen him in person a lot lot more than you at the NCAA and NHL level :). He doesn't have great explosiveness and both his edge work and acceleration are not great. Neither is his size. But he is crafty and smart. And has good hands. And he has a hell of a shot. And he loves the game and will fill in his holes the best he can. And I'm rooting for him. But, he wasn't going to surpass Marchand or DeBrusk at LW. And he clearly struggled at RW behind Pasta. He was tentative and overthinking everything and sucked. And then kinda sulked a bit in Providence. I'm sure the Bruins still feel he can grow into a top 6 winger. Maybe as good as someone like Eberle. But, he wasn't the guy for the job right now...and he came from a place of organizational depth. Not sure why this has to be repeated over and over and over.

For what the Bruins needed, I am glad they paid the price for two years of Coyle (a good bridge for Studnicka and Frederic next year given Coyle can play C or RW) rather than what Kevin Hayes cost for one year. Bruins had too many left shot wings around the same age (DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Donato) with Marchand already taking up in the top 6. Something had to give. And once Bjork got hurt, it was clear that something was Heinen or Donato. And when it came down to it, Heinen is a better player right now for a defense first Cup minded team...and is a natural fit with Coyle far more than Donato would be. Given the lack of quality C in the rental market, I'm stoked the Bruins got Coyle for Donato. Would I have wanted to pay less? Sure! But, it was a deal Boston had to make...and the Wild didn't.

Maybe I just need to let people be wrong on the internet lol.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Coyle has been good for the Bruins. Not every player in your line-up needs to be a scorer..........Happy for Donato all the same but Coyle has been good for us. Those of you just quoting his point output are obviously not watching his game. He has been a monster with puck control along the walls and complemented his linemates wether he's been at 3C or at 2W. He's been good, Donato's been good, why can't we all be happy :P

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
In hindsight I wouldn't give up Donato for Coyle but I'm still happy to have Coyle.

His even strength possession numbers are very good being used mostly in a defensive role. He's winning over 50% of his faceoffs. He's due for some puck luck even if he's nothing more than an average offensive player. Still think he could form a pair with Heinen (who really heated up over the last twenty games) to help drive an effective 200-foot third line.

Glad Donato has been able to prove some of his critics wrong. He certainly didn't do much with his opportunity in Boston but I always felt he was a little rushed considering he really hasn't had much pro experience playing against grown men. He's not the third line center the Bruins needed for the playoffs and I'm not sure he is a top-six forward who can hold up to the physicality in the playoffs (this season) but he certainly could have been given more time to see what the Bruins had.

Wish him all the best with the Wild.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Bruins drafted so well they can help out other teams and still be tied for 2nd overall ....
They stock piled youth with skill and are trading from a position of strength and depth to get the positions they need covered. Like 3rd line possession centerman with size. Donato is playing good now, he never did that consistently for the Bruins. Coyle has not had any talented 3rd line winger options yet. Johansson is still out, Pastrnak just got back as did DeBrusk. Getting Mojo will slot guys in the right spot and give him some talent finally. Good for Donato, happy for the kid, he is putting it together.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I said at the time of trade he could be a 30/30 offensive scorer in the right situation. Hopefully that's with the Wild. It wasn't happening in Boston IMO. Seeing guys like Vatrano and Donato succeed elsewhere is actually somewhat encouraging. Sometimes there just isn't any room and moving on is the only/best option (loaded at LW). They may not have many on the top-50 list if prospects year in and year out, but they are pumping out quality NHL'ers well as anyone.

Donato has a great feel for the game offensively. Obviously great shot. He was on the Bruins top PP unit early in the season for a reason.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I thought this trade was crap for Boston the moment it occurred and it is still. Why Boston would get rid of a guy that totally fits the mold of a Boston player is beyond me.

Charlie Coyle has always under achieved.

This trade is going to look worse every year as Donato develops.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Donato was perceived as one of the "weakest" winger prospects on the Bruins (that wasn't a perma-AHL player) and turning RFA to boot (arbitration eligible too).

If Boston was going to trade away a prospect to get an NHL-ready player (again, Donato was not perceived as NHL-ready) it was going to be him. Donato was not on the Bruins roster -- nor was he likely to be anytime soon (barring a lot of injuries).

I'm happy for him that it working out in Minnesota thus far, hopefully he can keep it going.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wanted Donato for Bread as a CBJ fan you can go look in trade threads so day 1 I thought it was bad and didnt understand why people thought the wild were robbed... Coyle is overrated and Donato was criminally underrated and we are seeing that.

Happy to see Donato lighting it up.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Good for the Wild that the Donato trade seems like has worked out for them

Coyle acquisition is looking better every playoff game for the Bruins

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
This trade was as weird as it gets.

Coyle has always Been a terrible player with no end product to his game.

This trade Will quickly Be on The ball park of Hall - Larson. As a robbery, players involved are not comparable ofcourse. Even how much Bruins fan try to convince themself that it was good for both teams. Nope it was absolutely not. Terrible for Bruins

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
This trade was as wierd as it gets.

Coyle has always Been a terrible player with no ens product to his game.

This trade Will quickly Be on The ball park or Hall - Larson. Even how much Bruins fan try to convince themself that it was good for both teams. Nope it was absolutely not. Terrible for Bruins
From an outsider's point of view, it seems like a win-win.

Not every trade has to have a clear winner.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wild fan coming in to say i wasn't a huge fan of this trade when it went down, but now I think it looks even. Seriously how could you gripe about this from a BOS pov if Donato wasn't likely to be used because of your depth? Trade objective was to get a stabilizing responsible guy for a third line anchor position. mission accomplished. You traded a spare part that had been sitting on the shelf for that--he wasn't getting any more valuable as time went on and NHL minutes stayed rare for him.

For our part Donato doesn't look as fast as Coyle but he has shown more hustle than i was expecting--esp without the puck. Was sort of expecting a guy with floating tendencies but he's been very aggressive all over. From observation Coyle has been more physical playing for BOS. Looks like maybe both players took the trade as motivation to focus on their perceived weakness?

WIN WIN i'd say.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Wild fan coming in to say i wasn't a huge fan of this trade when it went down, but now I think it looks even. Seriously how could you gripe about this from a BOS pov if Donato wasn't likely to be used because of your depth? Trade objective was to get a stabilizing responsible guy for a third line anchor position. mission accomplished. You traded a spare part that had been sitting on the shelf for that--he wasn't getting any more valuable as time went on and NHL minutes stayed rare for him.

For our part Donato doesn't look as fast as Coyle but he has shown more hustle than i was expecting--esp without the puck. Was sort of expecting a guy with floating tendencies but he's been very aggressive all over. From observation Coyle has been more physical playing for BOS. Looks like maybe both players took the trade as motivation to focus on their perceived weakness?

WIN WIN i'd say.

The only one thing I was worried about that lots of Wild fans were saying

Coyle is soft like butter/doesn't use his size

Yes I wish he was more physical in the regular season but he has played a heavy game thus far in the playoffs

Reactions: rynryn

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
when coyle plays physical he is a beast, for some reason he could only play that way for 2 weeks at a time then played soft for 2 months.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
when coyle plays physical he is a beast, for some reason he could only play that way for 2 weeks at a time then played soft for 2 months.
Coyle is a guy that you would like to be more physical, but he has never been soft.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

WIN WIN i'd say.

Great post. I said it when the trade happens: Best case scenario is that this trade is like the Peverley for Wheeler trade back in 2011. Wheeler is an incredible player, but without Peverley we don't even come close to winning the Cup in 2011. You make that trade every day of the week despite how good Wheeler is now.

Coyle has been awesome in the playoffs so far, it took him a while to get his bearings but I can tell he'll be a big player for us. Glad to see Donato is doing fantastic too. Coyle has more to prove but it's definitely a win-win so far.

Reactions: rynryn

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

This trade Will quickly Be on The ball park of Hall - Larson. As a robbery, players involved are not comparable ofcourse. Even how much Bruins fan try to convince themself that it was good for both teams. Nope it was absolutely not. Terrible for Bruins

just like the Rangers totally stole Spooner from the Bruins...right?

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
I guarantee I have seen him in person a lot lot more than you at the NCAA and NHL level :). He doesn't have great explosiveness and both his edge work and acceleration are not great. Neither is his size. But he is crafty and smart. And has good hands. And he has a hell of a shot. And he loves the game and will fill in his holes the best he can. And I'm rooting for him. But, he wasn't going to surpass Marchand or DeBrusk at LW. And he clearly struggled at RW behind Pasta. He was tentative and overthinking everything and sucked. And then kinda sulked a bit in Providence. I'm sure the Bruins still feel he can grow into a top 6 winger. Maybe as good as someone like Eberle. But, he wasn't the guy for the job right now...and he came from a place of organizational depth. Not sure why this has to be repeated over and over and over.

For what the Bruins needed, I am glad they paid the price for two years of Coyle (a good bridge for Studnicka and Frederic next year given Coyle can play C or RW) rather than what Kevin Hayes cost for one year. Bruins had too many left shot wings around the same age (DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Donato) with Marchand already taking up in the top 6. Something had to give. And once Bjork got hurt, it was clear that something was Heinen or Donato. And when it came down to it, Heinen is a better player right now for a defense first Cup minded team...and is a natural fit with Coyle far more than Donato would be. Given the lack of quality C in the rental market, I'm stoked the Bruins got Coyle for Donato. Would I have wanted to pay less? Sure! But, it was a deal Boston had to make...and the Wild didn't.

Maybe I just need to let people be wrong on the internet lol.
This should be the only post in the thread. Encompasses everything :clap:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

You think Donato is going to win the Hart?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
"Players involved are not comparable ofcourse" so not on Hall or Larson level. Shouldve been more specific.

Phone pops them up, My apologies for being lazy.

So if they aren't comparable how can this trade possibly be as bad as Hall for Larsson?

What is possibly comparable then?

I liked Donato on the B's, but I sure as Hell trust Coyle being out there in the playoffs more than I would Donato. When the Bruins went physical in game two, they dominated. Coyle included. He has been the best B's forward so far through two games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad