Ryan Donato with 15 points in first 15 games since traded

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I was surprised to see this.. Had no idea in his first 15 games with the Wild since the trade he has put up 15 points. Even during Canucks/Flames game tonight they were discussing and posted all the point totals of players that were dealt and they didnt even mention Donato.

Very quietly excelling in Minnesota.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
never understood why people were calling the coyle trade a steal for the bruins.

Donato had quite a bit of hype before the season started, and was expected to compete for the calder trophy.
They gave up a pretty good young player to get Coyle

Reactions: olli and Devonator

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You shoulda seen the numbers Spooner out up after coming to the Rangers.
I'm sure Donato is better. But I'm just saying, it's a small sample.
Coyle gets two goals in a playoff game...

Reactions: TimThomas24

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This trade has worked out basically the opposite of Nino trade.

Donato looked quite good last year so even with the Bruins being loaded with similarly talented players to Donato I was surprised to see them give up on him so soon. But Coyle was more proven and perhaps a better fit in theory, and I guess Donato's slow start to this year didn't help either.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Donato was highly regarded before the trade too. He also excelled at the beginning of his Bruins career. Being a Boston born kid I remember a lot of bruins fans were very excited to see what he could become. I was very surprised when I found out he was traded. When looking at what he was traded for I don’t know how many people anticipate a long term win for Boston. The biggest problem is that Coyle was supposed to at least be better now for the Bruins which he hasn’t. Hard to defend the trade for Boston

JagrsMullet

Feb 23, 2015
I can tell a lot of Minnesota fans like the trade, as they should. Donato seems to be playing very well for them. Might not be the most popular opinion on this board where everything is boiled down to points, but as a Bs fan, I think Coyle has been outstanding. He has 0 finish, and I don’t expect that to change, but the way he dominates puck battles along the boards tells me exactly what I need to know about him. He’s one of the best forwards in the league in the corners and that’ll be a key component to playoff wins

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Good for him, liked him in Bosgon. Happy hes doing well. Looks like he got a chiclets bump

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I give it to Fenton, he did good if this keeps up, but still think he could get more from Boston

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Ya i didnt realize Coyle only has 3 points in 14 games with the Bruins

Donato will not be as important in playoffs as Coyle for a big reason.Size .Coyle is way harder to play against and his ability to back check and hold onto pucks will be big vs Leafs defence and Tampa if they get that far.Not selling Donato short cause he is a good offensive player but without the puck he is not reliable.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
This makes me happy. Donato is a good kid and we had high hopes for him. He seemed so lost this season and sulked in providence so he worked himself into being expendable. I am rooting for him and hope he keeps it up.

Coyle has had a hard time putting up points but he's been pretty good. I don't think he will continue to shoot less than 3% long term in Boston despite his lines taking over 60% of the shot attempts. Now that the forwards are getting healthy, he's going to start playing with nhl players like Heinen and Mojo instead of Nordstrom and Backes, who scored 1 goal in 50 total games combined.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Andrighetto had 16p in 19g after he got traded. DSP had 13 in 18.

This always seems to happen to players that seem to have a grudge for being traded away. It’s next year’s performance that’ll show what type of player he is.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Donato had seemed to go from really hyped to a throwaway in a ridiculously short period of time in Boston. Guess it is probably hard for the Bruins to care to much right now anyways with the way they are playing lol.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Donato had seemed to go from really hyped to a throwaway in a ridiculously short period of time in Boston. Guess it is probably hard for the Bruins to care to much right now anyways with the way they are playing lol.

Yeah he was given every chance in a top 6 role early in the season and wasn't ready to do that on a contender. Really a disappointment. I'm very happy he is doing well for the Wild and I cringed when I saw he was the prospect going to the Wild. I really thought a summer in the gym would turn him into a top 6 player next season. Bruins got to solidify their third line and mitigate a lot of their depth concerns with the Coyle and Mojo deals. Coyle also helps them out next year as they try to break in Studnicka, Frederic and JFK into the lineup. Bruins don't have Tampa or Toronto depth up front or anything, but they were able to patch their major hole while giving up a good but redundant prospect in Donato for Coyle and a 2nd for Mojo.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Donato was highly regarded before the trade too. He also excelled at the beginning of his Bruins career. Being a Boston born kid I remember a lot of bruins fans were very excited to see what he could become. I was very surprised when I found out he was traded. When looking at what he was traded for I don’t know how many people anticipate a long term win for Boston. The biggest problem is that Coyle was supposed to at least be better now for the Bruins which he hasn’t. Hard to defend the trade for Boston

This just isn't true.

Coyle was brought to Boston to solidify the 3rd line, which is exactly what the Bruins have been able to do since his arrival. Before Coyle the Bruins were consistently rolling two 4th lines.

Donato was traded because his position is literally the deepest position the Bruins have players available for.

You have to give to get, the Bruins didn't trade a shoot first winger thinking they were getting back the same type of player in Coyle.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What? We're all happy Donato has excelled in Minny. Ryan was playing in Providence when he was here. Coyle hasn't put up the points but I don't think any Bruins fan has been disappointed with the trade. Coyle plays a style that fits in Boston. What excuse is being made? :huh:

ya its deadly to see Donato excelling in Minny. I had high hopes for him in Boston but it was gonna be tough for him to crack the lineup fulltime

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Its not a long term deal for the Bruins though. It was to fix their 3rd line for their cup run the next two seasons. It was a complete disaster and Coyle has fixed it perfectly.

Donato was very, very bad for the Bruins this season despite being given plenty of chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad