Confirmed with Link: Ryan Callahan diagnosed with degenerative back disease | to be placed on LTIR

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Hard not to like Cally the person, and sorry it's ending this way for him, but let's not kid ourselves about the quality of his play. His place in the line up can be replaced by about a hundred guys on ELCs or two-ways around the league. Saving that money is very significant given our cap situation.
You also in fairness have to ask yourself if the team had traded him or bought him out, would they have replaced him with ELC’s? Without him here the Lightning only get the full benefit of his $5.8M if they do not exceed whatever the cap is and they have 20 signed contracts. If they complete the roster by re-signing Erne and Paquette that will take them from the roughly $6.5M left after re-upping Coburn to under $4M. That is not enough to extend Point. For every dollar they go over the cap is a dollar they don’t get in Callahan’s LTIR relief. Hence they still have to move another player to sign Point and complete their roster. Was Callahan’s misfortune better for the team than buying him out? Of course. But it is still no bed of roses.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yo @DFC , thanks dude for your comments in the main thread . You really are a cool guy with a lot of class.

Reactions: DFC

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
LTIR does not provide cap relief. It simply allows a club to exceed their upper limit. It is far from an ideal situation and can handcuff teams who use it - it limits who the club can recall - accruing cap space becomes very difficult - exceeding the limit can result in Overages
Quote Tweet
7BVicOvG_normal.png

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
You also in fairness have to ask yourself if the team had traded him or bought him out, would they have replaced him with ELC’s? Without him here the Lightning only get the full benefit of his $5.8M if they do not exceed whatever the cap is and they have 20 signed contracts. If they complete the roster by re-signing Erne and Paquette that will take them from the roughly $6.5M left after re-upping Coburn to under $4M. That is not enough to extend Point. For every dollar they go over the cap is a dollar they don’t get in Callahan’s LTIR relief. Hence they still have to move another player to sign Point and complete their roster. Was Callahan’s misfortune better for the team than buying him out? Of course. But it is still no bed of roses.
I have no problem with anything you've written and agree with most of it, but I think the answer to the bolded is yes, based on what it is they were replacing and their cap limitations. Cally at the end was a marginal fourth line grinder with good PK skills. That is not a hard find.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
As it should. Just too darn convenient for a team with cap issues.
Even as a Lightning fan, this is not an unfair take. Imagine if it were some other team in our division facing cap trouble and an aging and ineffective vet with a big cap hit all of a sudden had a mysterious career ender. This board would be lit up with incredulous outrage.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Damn the cap stuff, sucks that Cally has to be forced out due to his health.

I hurt my back (got lucky I didn't actually break it) a year ago and there are many times I can't tie my own laces. Back injuries are the worst kind.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I am sad for him, but this does help our cap situation LTIR. This is a loss for him, but a win for the team sadly. Ryan Callahan was the epitome of a hockey player. He gave it all on the ice even when his body and skills deteriorated. Sadly, Cooper gave him a raw deal because the Lightning needed his energy and leadership from Game 1. I hope he gets a job in the organization, but I can see him going with Yzerman to Detroit or the NYR.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Oh dear! Some fans of other teams seem to have mistaken the Tampa Bay Lightning subforum for the main boards! :eek:

Feel free to accuse our team of cheating in the main boards. There's even a thread there and everything. :whatever:

Cally has been a true warrior, outstanding leader and compassionate human being who gave 110% effort every single fricking time he stepped on the ice. To be told by MULTIPLE doctors that he should not play the game he loves ever again must be heartbreaking. Joe Smith said that Cally and his family still intend to spend the upcoming season here in Tampa so maybe he can continue his Callahan Foundation work with pediatric cancer patients and other community endeavors.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Poor Cally :( :( :( I'm sorry for him :(
Nobody deserves to end the career in this way. In particular a true warrior and a class professional athlete like Cally is.
I really hope he'll stay in Tampa for many years, with maybe a job into the organization.

PS: if someone has the "genial" idea to come here and start to insult the Lightning organization and Callahan about the salary cap...I'll promise the mod will ban me. But that guy will not spend well the next 15 minutes here.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
While of course it’s ‘convenient’ in a limited way for the salary cap, that in no way diminishes or falsifies the fact that Cally has a chronic condition that has pretty much forced him into retirement. It’s just common sense management to make the official announcement before July 1st. Nothing fishy in the least.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not like this. Damn it I really wanted to see Callahan go out on his own terms or at least better terms. This sucks man. I can't say I'm surprised given the fact that Callahan broke and bled for this team like few others that ever came before him but I still wish it didn't have to be this way. Whatever you do Ryan do it with your heart in it. God knows that's how you played.

I hope the team can pay tribute somehow if he hangs em up

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'll add one more thing from a Rangers perspective to your board and what he meant to the fanbase. Rangers every generation or so have an undersized player who plays his heart out and every shift like it's his last. In the late 70s/early 80s it was Eddie Johnston. From 91-2000 it was Adam Graves. For the blink of an eye in the early 2000s it was Todd Harvey. And from 07-14 it was Ryan Callahan.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
This sucks. He was the ultimate team first guy but unfortunately he was given a horriric contract and thus got mostly negative attention from everyone, including me.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I'll add one more thing from a Rangers perspective to your board and what he meant to the fanbase. Rangers every generation or so have an undersized player who plays his heart out and every shift like it's his last. In the late 70s/early 80s it was Eddie Johnston. From 91-2000 it was Adam Graves. For the blink of an eye in the early 2000s it was Todd Harvey. And from 07-14 it was Ryan Callahan.
Dont know about the rest, but Graves was not what i would proclaim to be undersized, especially for a forward.
Although possibly being just over the median in size amongst forwards he was still a semi-beast though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad