Confirmed with Link: Ryan Callahan diagnosed with degenerative back disease | to be placed on LTIR

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I feel terrible for Cally. That's not how anyone wants to go out. If this is it though, I wish him the best in his recovery and hopefully he decides for him and his family to stay put in Florida. It would be a great move by Vinik to help build up the Ryan Callahan Foundation and Cally's Crew or accommodate him in another way.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Good luck for the Lightning. Bad luck for Cally. You can be sure that the league will be going over those med reports with a fine tooth comb.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Obviously it's a little convenient for the Lightning but I mean the guy's 34, he could easily play for a few more years before calling it a career. So this notion that he's faking it feels completely asinine to me.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Yeah. I mean this is obviously fantastic news for the Cap situation, but it sucks for Callahan. Ultimate team first guy.
Actually I am not sure at all this gets the lightning off the hook as so many people are inclined to think. His place on the team has to be replaced. They can’t use this money to justify a big contract for Brayden Point if doesn’t leave enough money to get to the 20 man roster limit. They can only go over the cap by the amount of his contract if it provides the opportunity to get to a full roster as I understand it. If I’m wrong, I’m all ears.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Actually I am not sure at all this gets the lightning off the hook as so many people are inclined to think. His place on the team has to be replaced. They can’t use this money to justify a big contract for Brayden Point if doesn’t leave enough money to get to the 20 man roster limit. They can only go over the cap by the amount of his contract if it provides the opportunity to get to a full roster as I understand it. If I’m wrong, I’m all ears.
Hard not to like Cally the person, and sorry it's ending this way for him, but let's not kid ourselves about the quality of his play. His place in the line up can be replaced by about a hundred guys on ELCs or two-ways around the league. Saving that money is very significant given our cap situation.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
There were stories about Matt Ohlund still being a part of the team, but it's hard to say how much of those were true.

That said, Cally's always been a well-spoken guy. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the studio with Chief. I think he'll inevitably, if he wants to pursue that, he'll wind up back in NY, but for the time being it would be cool to get his take on things, given how well he knows the players individually.
Speaking of Ohlund, he did spend some time as an instructor with the Syracuse Crunch. And the Crunch do have some coaching positions they need to fill. I wonder if Cally would be interested. His hometown is Rochester, so that might be an attractive new job if he wants to go back to that area.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
2 years of constant injuries, all of last season basically being day-to-day with lower body injuries, leaving millions on the table on future contracts, damn convenient indeed.
Who are you trying to kid? Based on the quality of his play, even pre-injury, who was going to pay Cally millionS (with an S) after his contract was up with us and at a very old 35? Nobody, that's who.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Speaking of Ohlund, he did spend some time as an instructor with the Syracuse Crunch. And the Crunch do have some coaching positions they need to fill. I wonder if Cally would be interested. His hometown is Rochester, so that might be an attractive new job if he wants to go back to that area.

Doubt he's allowed to do that while still technically under contract, but I'm not sure. I think after this year he'll return to NY and that's where his post-playing career will really start. Maybe he'll take a few years to relax first. He's put himself in a position to do whatever he wants, financially.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Doubt he's allowed to do that while still technically under contract, but I'm not sure. I think after this year he'll return to NY and that's where his post-playing career will really start. Maybe he'll take a few years to relax first. He's put himself in a position to do whatever he wants, financially.
Uh, Syracuse is NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad