RW Yegor Chinakhov (2020, 21st, CBJ)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Had him in the late rounds last year, and was surprised he went undrafted. Was more surprised he went overdrafted this year! But excited to keep following him along the next few years

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Wow, either their scouting staff knows something no one else does, or they’re all gonna be out of jobs
More like Jarmo not being a good poker player. With an overager he easily could have banked on taking him in later rounds. That's not to say that Chinakhov is not going to be an effective NHLer someday(and that's not every late 1st rounder's future).

Last edited:
Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Picking an overageR with just 1 good season at 21st overall. Big yikes. Had him going after the 3rd round, most scouts did.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
I believe he has a lot of tools, not sure, what is his biggest flaws? Other than being an overager. I was kinda surprised that he was rated as a 3rd rounder at best. Another thing that hes got like 2 or 3 inches taller than he was last season. That's probably strengthen his positions.

I'm actually more surprised by picking Mukhamadulin at 20.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I believe he has a lot of tools, not sure, what is his biggest flaws? Other than being an overager. I was kinda surprised that he was rated as a 3rd rounder at best. Another thing that hes got like 2 or 3 inches taller than he was last season. That's probably strengthen his positions.

I'm actually more surprised by picking Mukhamadulin at 20.
I agree with all of this. I think New Jersey was set on Schneider, which explains New York trading up to get him, and New Jersey settles for the next defenseman on their list, although I find that rather unlikely in hindsight*.

After drafting Mercer, I was really hoping New Jersey would pick up Lapierre. Those two are amazing together. Can’t really fault them for going defense, but I wasn’t expecting Mukha...n to go in the top forty. Granted, I haven’t seen him play much, but from everything I’d read, I had him penciled lower.

Chinakhov is an exciting player. I’m not sure how he didn’t get drafted last year. Could Columbus have traded back and added a second? Almost certainly. They probably could’ve rolled back into the second round and gotten two or three picks out of it, but whatever. He was in their top ten, supposedly. If that’s true, they probably felt they couldn’t afford to trade back.

*edit: hindsight on 2020

Last edited:

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019

To be honest, I've always actually wondered how little the hockey world seems to understand about human biology. Some prospects are fully grown men with a beard at 16, whereas others are physically kids until they hit 20. If someone dominates the juniors because his physical age is 2-4 years ahead of the others (and not only the height), there's a chance that he will not be a major contributor when the others catch up. Of course he will be hyped, he will get more chances than most others, but in the end he might be seen as "bust", even when he did reach his full potential.

Personally I don't see being an over-ager any flaw at all. In this case it's just one year, and how many 2019 picks have already played in the show? So far 5. If Chinakhov makes it next season, he's still way ahead of most 2019 picks, not to mention 2020.

And all the dissing around him, just because he reached full height only at 19. Which is perfectly normal for a healthy young man.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
To be honest, I've always actually wondered how little the hockey world seems to understand about human biology. Some prospects are fully grown men with a beard at 16, whereas others are physically kids until they hit 20. If someone dominates the juniors because his physical age is 2-4 years ahead of the others (and not only the height), there's a chance that he will not be a major contributor when the others catch up. Of course he will be hyped, he will get more chances than most others, but in the end he might be seen as "bust", even when he did reach his full potential.

Personally I don't see being an over-ager any flaw at all. In this case it's just one year, and how many 2019 picks have already played in the show? So far 5. If Chinakhov makes it next season, he's still way ahead of most 2019 picks, not to mention 2020.

And all the dissing around him, just because he reached full height only at 19. Which is perfectly normal for a healthy young man.

He does a very good progress as well. Went from 0.45 PPG to 1.20 PPG in the MHL in one season, and now doing great in the KHL, while someone like Khovanov can't make the KHL at all.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
More like Jarmo not being a good poker player. With an overager he could easily could have banked on taking him in later rounds. That's not to say that Chinakhov is not going to be an effective NHLers someday(and not every late 1st rounder's future).

If they considered him the best player available then why waste the pick on someone else and risk losing the player you wanted most? The danger seems more significant than the potential benefit. Poker for poker's sake is not worth it.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Jarmo must trust the people the Jackets have scouting Russia. And with Gavrikov in Columbus plus Marchenko, Tarasov, and Voronkov all looking like solid picks, who can blame him? If I was scouting Russia for another team, I would be handing out some rubles in exchange for information on who the Blue Jackets were watching and talking with.

Reactions: slumpy43

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If they considered him the best player available then why waste the pick on someone else and risk losing the player you wanted most? The danger seems more significant than the potential benefit. Poker for poker's sake is not worth it.
Best player available is one thing. Reputation, common practice and other GM's thoughts are what matters. How often does an overager get drafted in the first? I doubt other teams were that eager to get him to "waste" a first on him. It's about patience. Look at how Tampa outplayed everyone with Kucherov and Point. Obviously they were high on the players, but also played it cool predicting the other teams to pass on them correctly. Now they have their Cup raised by their top offensive duo drafted late in the second and third.

Reactions: Aerrol and Stubu

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow, either their scouting staff knows something no one else does, or they’re all gonna be out of jobs
All they do is draft well. They aint getting fired even if they miss. Jarmo drafted Alfie, Havlat, Hossa, Dubois, Texier, Foudy etc etc.

Picking an overage with just 1 good season at 21st overall. Big yikes. Had him going after the 3rd round, most scouts did.
You probably know better than Kekkalainen.

Reactions: Starry Knight

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Bingo everyone develops are different ages. Thats why Rossi dropped he is very far along in his development physically and is already small.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Best player available is one thing. Reputation, common practice and other GM's thoughts are what matters. How often does an overager get drafted in the first? I doubt other teams were that eager to get him to "waste" a first on him. It's about patience. Look at how Tampa outplayed everyone with Kucherov and Point. Obviously they were high on the players, but also played it cool predicting the other teams to pass on them correctly. Now they have their Cup raised by their top offensive duo drafted late in the second and third.
Or Kucherov and Point were not on the top of their list.
Chinakhov was ranked 10 in Columbus priority list and was the best one available at 21. Jarmo said it’s not in his principles to trade down risking losing a player, one other GM said Chinakhov was 28th in their list

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Or Kucherov and Point were not on the top of their list.
Chinakhov was ranked 10 in Columbus priority list and was the best one available at 21. Jarmo said it’s not in his principles to trade down risking losing a player, one other GM said Chinakhov was 28th in their list
As I have stated already, I understand the logic behind the pick. I do not necessarily think though there wasn't a chance to get the same player later in the draft.

It can easily become a prcedence. If Columbus gets a gem with the pick, look out for teams in the future being more bold about picking fast progressing oveargares early.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
As I have stated already, I understand the logic behind the pick. I do not necessarily think though there wasn't a chance to get the same player later in the draft.

It can easily become a prcedence. If Columbus gets a gem with the pick, look out for teams in the future being more bold about picking fast progressing oveargares early.

Another team's scout said they had Chinakhov at 28. I'll see if I can find the link I saw last night.

EDIT:

Also:

“With all due respect, we have our scouts for a reason and that’s who we believe in,” said Blue Jackets GM and NHL cowboy Jarmo Kekalainen. “And their list is the most important thing. We’ve been watching this guy and following this guy all year and he was very high on our list. We didn’t want to take a chance of moving back, even though we considered it long and hard. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that if you want a guy and he’s really the only guy that you have that high and separates himself from the other group of players that’s still available, you take him.”

Sure sounds like Jarmo doesn't think he's the smartest guy in the room - rather, he trusts his scouts and respects their hard work.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/who-the-hell-is-yegor-chinakhov

Last edited:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I dont hate the prospect. I do think Jarmo could have moved down at least a few more picks and got a 3rd rounder like other gms were doing. I get there is a bit of risk in doing that, but even if one GM had him at 28th, that means Jarmo could have moved down a few picks for sure.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think all the “trade back” people aren’t accounting for how much they loved Chinakhov. He was in their top 10. I’m guessing by that point, no other player on the board at 21 was in their top 15.

Jarmo indicated he has no problem trading back if he has a chunk of players ranked closely; if he had Chinakhov rated 17th, Lapierre 18th, Perrault 19th and Zary 20th, he prob would’ve traded back from 21 to 24 and gotten an extra 3rd round pick, even if he ended up with Zary and have been okay with that. But when you have that much separation between your top available and your number two available, you don’t take the risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad