RW Yegor Chinakhov (2020, 21st, CBJ)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In the general sense, Atas2000 isn't wrong... at least at it pertains to forwards.
But obviously every situation needs to be judged on a case by case basis.

I don't have a problem with the general sense it's the absolutism that's the issue.

Also it's always helpful to argue the possible that can never be measured or actually fulfilled than the actual reality, the possible "wins" every time.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
The problem is that for every Kaprizov there are literally dozens of Excellent Russian players (both matured in Russia and brought over to NA early) that never level up to their potential.

Just like every other nation.

I'm sure a guy like Ovi or Malkin would have had better NHL careers had they been allowed to develop in Russia right?

but it's a can't lose proposition for you since every prospect that isn't being developed and then is brought over and doesn't make it then it's all about being ruined by the NA experience.

If the prospect is good enough they will become good players, something that Chinakov is becoming in the NHL right now.
In your opinion who are recent examples of Russian players that were thought to be potential high-end offensive producers that came over after maturing for a number of years in the KHL and didn’t work out when they did finally come over?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In your opinion who are recent examples of Russian players that were thought to be potential high-end offensive producers that came over after maturing for a number of years in the KHL and didn’t work out when they did finally come over?

When I wrote of my example I was thinking primarily of the early Russians from the Green Unit then in more recent times Gusov and Shipachyov primarily although Kovalchuk in a Kings uniform also came to mind.

It's great for people to bring up examples of players once they make a huge splash but it's alot harder to do in realm time with every Russian prospect that stays in Russia.

What I think the poster I was responding too is overlooking is that many top prospects from everywhere end up not making it no matter where they are developed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How has he been performing so far this year? Top 6 winger?
Hard to tell. He's been impressive though

The stats don't jump off the page, and he's not dominating in many ways. But he's solid. A definite improvement from his rookie season, which was pretty iffy. He's throwing his weight around and becoming reliable in his own end. He's always had good compete level, but now he know WHERE to compete and how to win battles. He's becoming a bright spot on a team who need something to go right.

They're clearly being very patient with him and his usage, but it seems like he's on the right path.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I don't have a problem with the general sense it's the absolutism that's the issue.

Also it's always helpful to argue the possible that can never be measured or actually fulfilled than the actual reality, the possible "wins" every time.

But it can be loosely measured. But, for the reasons you explained, results can't be predicated on making the NHL.

More often than not Russian forwards who leave too early become lesser players relative to their similarly skilled (or similarly tier level) Russian peers who don't.... even if none of these guys reach full potential let alone make the NHL.
But of course several examples exist to the contrary, which is why absolutism is stupid and every situation needs to be analyzed on a case by case basis.
But we're getting way off topic here. I'm done.

Last edited:

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
When I wrote of my example I was thinking primarily of the early Russians from the Green Unit then in more recent times Gusov and Shipachyov primarily although Kovalchuk in a Kings uniform also came to mind.

It's great for people to bring up examples of players once they make a huge splash but it's alot harder to do in realm time with every Russian prospect that stays in Russia.

What I think the poster I was responding too is overlooking is that many top prospects from everywhere end up not making it no matter where they are developed.
Gusev had some initial success despite the fact that he has the deadly combination of being an awful skater and being undersized/weak. He did flame out but certainly not as quickly as I predicted. Shipachyov just never got a legit chance, it was the weirdest situation ever. I think he would have succeeded and would have become a 50+ point guy if he had gotten a chance. Kovalchuk of course already proved himself before his comeback so he doesn’t apply.

In any event, I’m sure you realized when responding to my post that there aren’t many recent examples. Russians that develop at home for a number of years post-draft and find success in the KHL have had very consistent success when they come to the NHL.

Where I think the argument really fails for some of these posters (especially Atas2000) is that it is undoubtedly the case that many of the prospects that came to North America early and then failed would also have failed to make the NHL if they stayed and developed in Russia as well. It’s not as simple as “they came over early and failed and look at these guys that stayed and were successful”. That is ridiculous oversimplification and poor reasoning. Just like saying “look at Kucherov and Sergachev and Provorov, that proves that coming over early and playing CHL works”.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
On a 52 point pace this season. And overall positive impact too. Safe to say Jarmo vindicated on this pick. He has made some very questionable decisions as a GM but atleast as far as going off the board to draft someone and being condemned as an idiot on HFBoards for it (Dubois and Chinakhov) he has proven to be right both times.

yc.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad