RW Vitaly Kravtsov (2018, 9th, NYR; traded to VAN) Part2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
...I dunno what you consider really good, but if he can reproduce the stats of a tarasenko/kuznetsov, then I would be quite... contented.

I said it in that post. He's a 9th overall pick. I'm not expecting him to get 4th line minutes. I'm expecting him to be a standout because thats what you get when you pick someone 9th.

And as I said, his stats were a little worse than all those guys. No one was calling Buchnevich or Kaprizov the best prospect in the world after better post-draft seasons than Kravtsov. At the WJC, he played on a line with Denisenko and Kostin. Played well and he was playing with an injury, but both outplayed him.

I had no problems with the season, but it wasn't as good as some people stated. It should've been no surprise that he was as far from being NHL ready as he was, if you took the time to watch him play last season and realized the context of the season he had. However, he got overrated. Simple.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
...I dunno what you consider really good, but if he can reproduce the stats of a tarasenko/kuznetsov, then I would be quite... contented.
Yeah, for sure. Especially if you consider how few goals Traktor scored and the percentage of them that Kravtsov was in on. His season last year was fantastic.

There is a reason he was so highly rated as a prospect coming into this season, even by others outside the Rangers.

I’m hopeful this season is a real wake-up call for him and if he has attitude or work ethic issues that he starts to address them.

Time will tell I suppose.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
One of my favorite prospects to be honest and I'd love to see him in a Canes uniform some day. Call me crazy but when I heard that Rangers picked him, it just made sense. Bergeron and Bruins, Landeskog and Avalanche, Tarasenko and Blues... Kravtsov and Rangers?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
One of my favorite prospects to be honest and I'd love to see him in a Canes uniform some day. Call me crazy but when I heard that Rangers picked him, it just made sense. Bergeron and Bruins, Landeskog and Avalanche, Tarasenko and Blues... Kravtsov and Rangers?

Please explain the comparisons with those 3 players.

Reactions: Rebels57

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Please explain the comparisons with those 3 players.

There is nothing to compare in terms of skill or other atributes. It's just a feeling I got. When I think about the Blues, Tarasenko is the first player that comes to my mind. Kinda like Jekyll and Hyde, Bonnie and Clyde, Kravtsov and Rangers. It would be weird if it were Jekyll and LeBron, Bonnie and Mario & Kravtsov and Capitals.

Reactions: Magnifico

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
His effort has looked much better since rejoining Hartford. It seems like he’s readjusted his attitude, so I credit the kid for that.

His play has been good. Not as good as you’d like. He’s been outplayed by a few of these guys that can’t stick in the NHL, so you’d like to see him eventually start outplaying those players and be the best forward on the team. I don’t think he’s as close to the NHL as some expected. Even in the AHL, he’s not great, more in the good category early on.

At the same time, he’s been good and has a lot of talent. He’ll reach the NHL next season or late this season, if he’s not rushed before that. But he still needs to make his presence felt more. He’s very soft and doesn’t understand the style of NA hockey. More than most players, he plays an extreme E-W game, so it’ll definitely be an adjustment.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
His effort has looked much better since rejoining Hartford. It seems like he’s readjusted his attitude, so I credit the kid for that.

His play has been good. Not as good as you’d like. He’s been outplayed by a few of these guys that can’t stick in the NHL, so you’d like to see him eventually start outplaying those players and be the best forward on the team. I don’t think he’s as close to the NHL as some expected. Even in the AHL, he’s not great, more in the good category early on.

At the same time, he’s been good and has a lot of talent. He’ll reach the NHL next season or late this season, if he’s not rushed before that. But he still needs to make his presence felt more. He’s very soft and doesn’t understand the style of NA hockey. More than most players, he plays an extreme E-W game, so it’ll definitely be an adjustment.
Thank you very much for the detailed and fairly objective breakdown of his play and situation as to what you're aware of. I've picked up in my short time here that you do not always express the most popular viewpoints, but you stand by your opinion if you can back it up, which I respect.

There are some players who I've watched which I disagree upon with you, slightly, but not enough to post a counter-argument. Back to Kravstov, I appreciate your candour & insights and hope this young man can become the player they saw at #9 for the team and himself.

Cheers from B.C.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This was his best game he's played so far. He was the best forward yesterday. He could've had 3-4 points. He was a little wasteful with his scoring opportunities, but getting the opportunities consistently will lead to more points.

Reactions: slumpy43

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Kravtsov’s been playing a really strong 200 ft game since he came back. Keeps getting better and better. Was out late to defend a goal with a minute left too

Reactions: NYRfan and slumpy43

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kravtsov has had a terrible season. Even coming back to the AHL, he's not produced as he should have. He's had some games where he shows a good amount of skill and that he's clearly a talented player, but its not consistent. You could discount his AHL numbers before he went back to the KHL, and they still aren't good. Kravtsov would be age-eligible for the AHL, if he was coming from junior hockey. For a top ten pick forward to not even be averaging .5PPG in the AHL at this point, I think thats not acceptable.

I think the kid is talented, but he's trending towards bust territory, in my opinion. If we can call Andersson, whose only about a year older, a bust at this point (and many people are doing that), we can start discussing the possibility with Kravtsov. He needs to start playing a lot better. He's a much more talented player than Andersson, but being talented doesn't guarantee success. His attitude was clearly a problem for a lot of this season, so that's not good. But his consistency isn't there. He shows flashes of talent, but top-ten picks should be playing a lot more consistently than he does in the AHL at age 20.

From what I've seen, and I've seen a number of his AHL games, his on-ice work-ethic isn't very high. He floats a lot. He doesn't forecheck hard, and try to steal pucks. He doesn't go to the net to try to find the puck. He doesn't play with enough pace. His skating speed and technique are at least above-average, but he looks slow out there because he plays at a very slow pace. NA hockey is a quicker pace than the KHL. He's not involved in enough plays because of all of this. He's a complete cherry-picker right now.

I also have noticed that he tries for a lot of highlight-reel toe-drags or moves that will never work, and he wastes scoring chances because of it. You occasionally will see this from other players, but not with any consistency. Other players will use it when it's not expected, and when you can catch the other team off guard. Kravtsov uses it as a staple of his game, and any defense that does their homework on Kravtsov would know that there's a good chance he's going to try something too fancy instead of trying to find the trailing man or driving to the net or taking the shot off the rush. I don't know who taught him that these are acceptable. They look fancy, but he ruins too many scoring chances by doing this.

I ranked this guy pretty high pre-draft. I had him 10th, and we picked him 9th. I wanted to pick a defenseman, but I didn't hate the pick. I thought Kravtsov had a lot of potential, but what I've seen since being drafted hasn't been very good. He needs to turn it around. This team can't go two drafts in a row drafting busts. Thats an easy way to ruin a rebuild.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, he basically hit what would be called a sophomore slump. Everything was so easy last year and turns out, every year isn't going to be smooth like that. So he faced adversity, reacted the wrong way (going back and forth) and now it's basically a write-off season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, he basically hit what would be called a sophomore slump. Everything was so easy last year and turns out, every year isn't going to be smooth like that. So he faced adversity, reacted the wrong way (going back and forth) and now it's basically a write-off season.
Maybe 2 months of a write off but now he's playing big minutes in the AHL and looks much more determined.

Reactions: EXTRAS and Lays

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kravtsov has had a terrible season. Even coming back to the AHL, he's not produced as he should have. He's had some games where he shows a good amount of skill and that he's clearly a talented player, but its not consistent. You could discount his AHL numbers before he went back to the KHL, and they still aren't good. Kravtsov would be age-eligible for the AHL, if he was coming from junior hockey. For a top ten pick forward to not even be averaging .5PPG in the AHL at this point, I think thats not acceptable.

I think the kid is talented, but he's trending towards bust territory, in my opinion. If we can call Andersson, whose only about a year older, a bust at this point (and many people are doing that), we can start discussing the possibility with Kravtsov. He needs to start playing a lot better. He's a much more talented player than Andersson, but being talented doesn't guarantee success. His attitude was clearly a problem for a lot of this season, so that's not good. But his consistency isn't there. He shows flashes of talent, but top-ten picks should be playing a lot more consistently than he does in the AHL at age 20.

From what I've seen, and I've seen a number of his AHL games, his on-ice work-ethic isn't very high. He floats a lot. He doesn't forecheck hard, and try to steal pucks. He doesn't go to the net to try to find the puck. He doesn't play with enough pace. His skating speed and technique are at least above-average, but he looks slow out there because he plays at a very slow pace. NA hockey is a quicker pace than the KHL. He's not involved in enough plays because of all of this. He's a complete cherry-picker right now.

I also have noticed that he tries for a lot of highlight-reel toe-drags or moves that will never work, and he wastes scoring chances because of it. You occasionally will see this from other players, but not with any consistency. Other players will use it when it's not expected, and when you can catch the other team off guard. Kravtsov uses it as a staple of his game, and any defense that does their homework on Kravtsov would know that there's a good chance he's going to try something too fancy instead of trying to find the trailing man or driving to the net or taking the shot off the rush. I don't know who taught him that these are acceptable. They look fancy, but he ruins too many scoring chances by doing this.

I ranked this guy pretty high pre-draft. I had him 10th, and we picked him 9th. I wanted to pick a defenseman, but I didn't hate the pick. I thought Kravtsov had a lot of potential, but what I've seen since being drafted hasn't been very good. He needs to turn it around. This team can't go two drafts in a row drafting busts. Thats an easy way to ruin a rebuild.
People are calling Lias a bust because he left his organization without warning or permission after not having proved much in the 3 years since coming over.

This is Kravstov's first year, he's 20 games into his NA career. He's in the AHL, putting in work.

Not really comparable at all imo.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad