RW Teemu Pulkkinen (2010, 111th overall, Detroit) II

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Is it hard to understand that I was speaking about players who are SMALL AND SLOW???? not one or the other but both. You seriously thought I didnt know there was small players in the NHL before? Now list me 5 players in the NHL who were at least relatively good who were both small and slow.

No i didn't know, i thought that you thought all of them are 6'5 250lbs.

MOD I did mention that Pulkkinen added lowerbody muscle, now he just needs world class skating coach to transform all the power from hes core and lower body to hes skating, like he will stay that slow rest of hes life.

Also T. Ennis ain't exceptional skater for a guy hes size( Pulkkinen does weight roughly 50 lbs more than he does ), heck i was better skater than he is when i weighted 150lbs so yeah T. Ennis is kinda small and slow from my point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Pulkkinen is weak on his skates and he has trouble keeping up the momentum in traffic. Also, I don’t think his stickhandling ability is comparable to some of the star players of his size. His offensive instincts and slap shot are NHL calibre, but it’s doubtful whether that’ll be enough or not. Many of the smallish NHL forwards are able to change direction quickly and dangle their way out of trouble. They challenge opponents in one-on-one situations and during board battles with their agility, quickness and ability to handle the puck in close quarters. Pulkkinen is just average in these areas. Plus, I don’t think his defensive game has improved that much, he’s still not a player you want to see out there when your team is killing a penalty or defending a lead late in the 3rd.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Plus, I don’t think his defensive game has improved that much, he’s still not a player you want to see out there when your team is killing a penalty or defending a lead late in the 3rd.
I think this has a lot to do with his skating, because he can't keep up with opposition. He has started to play a bit more physical and backchecks better than last season, though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pulkkinen is weak on his skates and he has trouble keeping up the momentum in traffic. Also, I don’t think his stickhandling ability is comparable to some of the star players of his size. His offensive instincts and slap shot are NHL calibre, but it’s doubtful whether that’ll be enough or not. Many of the smallish NHL forwards are able to change direction quickly and dangle their way out of trouble. They challenge opponents in one-on-one situations and during board battles with their agility, quickness and ability to handle the puck in close quarters. Pulkkinen is just average in these areas. Plus, I don’t think his defensive game has improved that much, he’s still not a player you want to see out there when your team is killing a penalty or defending a lead late in the 3rd.

I'd be willing to put this as a lack of confidence issue. When he played his first SM-liiga games (when Aravista was head coach), he was dekeing opposing players more eagerly. I thinks there's a clip from a game against HIFK from that time on Youtube where he deked two HIFK players to get in front of the goal but was in a poor angle to score from his backhand. Then he probably succumbed to the "safety first" attitude among the rest of the team. The attitude that still reigns in the team (and coaching) and continues to burden them.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Heard that he will start army this summer can anyone confirm this ? I thought he was last year same time as Granlund, Koivu and Vatanen.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Heard that he will start army this summer can anyone confirm this ? I thought he was last year same time as Granlund, Koivu and Vatanen.
I believe this is true, because he wasn't there last year (which was a bit strange imo). I guess this basically means he'll stay with Jokerit for next season.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I believe this is true, because he wasn't there last year (which was a bit strange imo). I guess this basically means he'll stay with Jokerit for next season.

I thought that was a given that he's going to stay with Jokerit for one more year?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I thought that was a given that he's going to stay with Jokerit for one more year?
Basically it is but the Wings are going to sign him during the summer so theoretically he could leave.

Rinne33

Oct 21, 2011
Pulkkinen is a healthy scratch for the Jokerit play-off team. He was sent to the minors.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I read right, he's just seeing if he could play with his injury? I can't remember. I think I read something like that in the DRW prospect thread.

Those "in the know" are pretty adamant he's been playing with a leg injury for some time "with the help of a needle", though Pulkkinen himself denies it. it would explain why his skating has looked so difficult since February.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
It's blatantly obvious that he's not physically 100% - hasn't been in a while. I'm keeping the faith that next year he can rise to Granlund's or Vatanen's level. Healthy summer under Valtonen's surveillance can do wonders. And he doesn't have to play at U20 level anymore, so he can actually have rest during the season.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Bust as I have always said.

He's not a bust. He still has plenty of time to try to make the NHL. I hate when people call players "busts" 2 years(?) after their draft year. He was taken late as well, so it's not like he was a first rounder.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Pulkkinen has always been bit overrated in Finland. He posses unbelievable shot for a u20-player, but lacks both instinct and passion to score. People lamed his injuries for slipping to 4th round and now outside of Jokerit's roster. Same time both Granlund and Vatanen have been hampared by injuries, too. But they are FEL's absolute elite while Pulkkinen is - face the facts - healthy scratch

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Pulkkinen is - face the facts - his teams second in points, while Vatanen is - face the facts - only third. Granlund leads his team in scoring, but - face the facts - only by three points. Pulkkinen is - face the facts - one of the best finnish prospects.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Difference between Pulkkinen and Granlund&Vatanen is that he's not even close as a complete player like the two others. He's still got a long way to go in terms of skating and if he's able to develop that, it will help him round out the other areas of his game. If he want's to ever make the NHL, it will be through lots of hard (and smart) work.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
So he is bust now? He is only 20 years old, 94 points in 2 seasons is pretty good. He is just having bad season.

Anchor Town*

So he is bust now? He is only 20 years old, 94 points in 2 seasons is pretty good. He is just having bad season.

It's not about what he is or isn't doing in Finland, it's how he projects to do in the NHL, and that is what has everyone worried

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
It's not about what he is or isn't doing in Finland, it's how he projects to do in the NHL, and that is what has everyone worried

as long as he plays well for finland in international tournaments when selected thats good enough for me :handclap:

playing in the nhl would be a great thing for him

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
It's a different league then it was when Brett Hull broke in for sure- but if you're going to have one thing you do better than pretty much anybody else, having a deadly cannon of a shot still might be the best thing to have. Next season will be huge for Pulkkinen no doubt though. Any chance he comes over to play in the AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad